ORIGINS of the HALF DOOR - A Tidbit of Jeep History

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome, thanks for sharing! I sure hope the JL has a half door option, after having both on my JK’s I would never willingly go back to full doors.

After seeing the Strike Force Zebra doors at SEMA with their all new hard uppers, I'd be more than happy to run a set of them on a JL. They look totally factory, have a great fit, don't rattle, are way lighter and cost a lot less. :yup:

At least the Jeepster is good for something other than being ugly. 😀

Where did they get the idea for half doors for Jeepster? From the military guys that modified their Jeeps to have half doors?

LOL!! I believe the doors on a Jeepster were considered to be "full doors". They were just made to fit the body of the Jeepster which was more of a convertible car than an SUV. The CJ-7 only came with bigass full doors and when they started developing the YJ Wrangler, Dave looked at the Jeepster and thought doors like it would be a nice compromise. He was even telling me about all kinds of awesome features he wanted it to have on the uppers and removable arm rests for the doors but all of them got shot down due to tooling costs.

KICKROX

Very cool.. I definitely we be getting a set of half doors for my JK this coming year. I like my Rancho trail doors but a nice set of half doors for every day driving will be just the ticket come spring/summer.

Top Bottom