Oscar's No Build Thread

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Found some shop time and started work on my side step/sliders. Cut the 6 standoffs from 2”x2” square tube at the cold saw:

View attachment 301341

View attachment 301342

After some careful layout, the corners were drilled and cuts made at the bandsaw. An air file was used to clean up the cuts and deburr the edges.

View attachment 301343

View attachment 301344

View attachment 301345

Some test fitting of the concept:

View attachment 301346

View attachment 301347

I’m pretty happy with the fit and look thus far.

I'm enjoying seeing your projects. Cool you have access to all these tools and the knowledge to use them[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Very cool, nice design. I like it

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks! I’m really liking how they are coming together! I debated whether to butt weld the deck to the standoffs or lap-lock like shown. It’s more work, but I think they will be stronger and I really like the look. The only drawback is the potential of getting snagged on the standoff’s since they hang an inch below the deck. I don’t think it will be an issue for me.

Man you have skills! Very nice

Haha, we’ll see. I’m getting excited for the welding part of this project! It’s been about 25 years since I last tested those skills. I’m leaning toward old school oxy/acetylene gas welding. It’s slow, but control and finish are superior. Arc is an option, but I’m afraid of burning through the 1/8” thick material.

Awesome. Can't wait to see them done.

I think I will be working on these for many more weeks! Planning to gas weld at this time, but I’m also trying to convince the owner of my company that we need a TIG setup.

Thats awesome you have the ability to do that! Can’t wait until they are done [emoji106]

Thanks! The problem is when they are done, I will need to find a new project. Addicting!

I'm enjoying seeing your projects. Cool you have access to all these tools and the knowledge to use them[emoji106]

I’m glad you like them! Having access to metal working equipment and materials makes many of my projects possible. I’m very fortunate that the owner of my company let’s me have surplus materials and use the shop equipment during off shift hours. He enjoys seeing the finished projects too!

Last edited:

JKbrick

Don’t know how to describe this but if you worry about the 1” hanging down could you weld a little triangle piece in there on the forward side so it isn’t a 90* angle?

sipafz

Caught the Bug
The owner of your company sounds like a good man! That is great having the access to a shop like that! Bumpers next?

I might chop the front bumper and carefully re-install the end caps. I thought about making a front bumper back when I bought the winch, but I really like the setup that I have now. I might design some skids down the road.

Don’t know how to describe this but if you worry about the 1” hanging down could you weld a little triangle piece in there on the forward side so it isn’t a 90* angle?

Yeah, a web might be a good idea. Being that the tubes have a 5/16” radii instead of sharp corners will also help. I think it will be something that I can add later if needed.

jdofmemi

Just a thought.

If the sliders are planned to slide over rocks, ANY protrusion on the bottom, square, rounded, or ramped, will act like an anchor.
When you are on a slider, there is already a lot of resistance to movement.

I like your design, and your build, but I would put the stand off pieces on top to leave the bottom and outside edge smooth.

Just my $0.02 worth

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Just a thought.

If the sliders are planned to slide over rocks, ANY protrusion on the bottom, square, rounded, or ramped, will act like an anchor.
When you are on a slider, there is already a lot of resistance to movement.

I like your design, and your build, but I would put the stand off pieces on top to leave the bottom and outside edge smooth.

Just my $0.02 worth

You’re absolutely right! I’ve been struggling with that very point for sometime. Too many wants:
- Flat step deck
- Rocker and door protection
- Functional
- Original

I agree that the design might be prone to hang-ups. If it becomes an issue, I can always add a third tube underneath.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Work continued on the sliders. After a couple hours of practice, I finally felt confident enough to start welding with my Miller Arc Welder using 1/8” 6013 rod at 100 amps, DC & reverse polarity:

IMG_7045.jpg

As you can see in the photo above, the welding caused my slider to bow about 1/4” (see where the pen is). Good thing I have a press:

IMG_7046.jpg

I mounted a plunge dial indicator under the part to track movement while straightening:

IMG_7048.jpg

I also used one of the other rails as a straight edge to check progress:

IMG_7050.jpg

After straightening - much better:

IMG_7051.jpg

Welded the second rail on. It’s really starting to take shape:

IMG_7055.jpg

My weld shop - Arc & Oxy/Acetylene. I’m hoping to pick up a TIG setup soon.

IMG_7052.jpg

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Spent the day with the kid exploring the Nicolet National Forest:

IMG_7483.jpg

At the top of Butler Rock scoping things out:

IMG_7487.jpg

Here we go:

https://youtu.be/oEBff4hfovo

Conquered:

IMG_7499.jpg

IMG_7498.jpg

IMG_7502.jpg

IMG_7503.jpg

IMG_7505.jpg

It was a fun day; 10hrs, 350 total miles, 40 trail miles and 1 tank of gas.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Work continued on what seems to be, a never ending project:

IMG_7532.jpg

I started with cutting a 22.5* angel on the steps at the band saw:

IMG_7412.jpg

Adjustable height carts are handy for that extra needed support:

IMG_7413.jpg

Cutting the tie-ins at the cold saw:

IMG_7528.jpg

Used a pedestal belt sander to adjust the fit:

IMG_7529.jpg

Stick welded and ground the visible welds so they look pretty:

IMG_7534.jpg

Just cleaned off the spatter on the bottom side. My welds are getting better looking as I go:

IMG_7536.jpg

Next is to cut & machine the frame mounting plates and gussets.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Getting close to finishing the first slider. Cut the frame mounting plates, drilled the mounting holes and welded them into place:

IMG_7543.jpg

IMG_7544.jpg

I need to clean up the spatter and close up the ends. Then it’s ready for mounting and testing. I’m planning on using a jack or forklift to make sure they can support the weight of the vehicle. That will be interesting and nerve racking all at the same time.

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
Getting close to finishing the first slider. Cut the frame mounting plates, drilled the mounting holes and welded them into place:

View attachment 304066

View attachment 304067

I need to clean up the spatter and close up the ends. Then it’s ready for mounting and testing. I’m planning on using a jack or forklift to make sure they can support the weight of the vehicle. That will be interesting and nerve racking all at the same time.

Are you planning on welding them on? Those look good!

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
This happened this morning:

View attachment 298552

Used the belt sander to clean up the ends and put a nice lead on the rod:

View attachment 298553

Kind of like wrestling a bear:

View attachment 298554

5 1/2” has grown to 8” [emoji15]:

View attachment 298555

Sway bar is now completely level:

View attachment 298556

Man just catching up on your build again. All the do it yourself stuff is awesome! Wish I had access a machine shop! Way to get creative and reuse your factory swaybar links!

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Have I ever mentioned I love your projects... lol can't wait to see them done

You may have, thank you again. I’m looking forward to getting them done, but I have a long way to go. The second one is barely started.

Are you planning on welding them on? Those look good!

I’m planning on bolting them on. Reason being is that the design is un-proven and I might need to make changes if they fail during testing. I can always weld them on later if needed.

Looks awesome!!!

Thanks. I should get it test fit soon. I’m excited to see how that looks.

Top Bottom