Oscar's No Build Thread

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Man just catching up on your build again. All the do it yourself stuff is awesome! Wish I had access a machine shop! Way to get creative and reuse your factory swaybar links!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

It’s an awesome hobby for sure and I’m truly fortunate to have the equipment, knowledge and time to make this stuff. On the sway links, it just seemed like a waste to pitch the factory ones for after market just to gain adjustability. Luckily the link diameter was exactly the same as the major diameter for a M12 thread! That’s what made it possible.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Slider test fit:

IMG_7560.jpg

I designed the slider be even with the outside edge of the fenders, which is right on, but I’m a little surprised by the gap in the front due to the narrowing of the body:

IMG_7562.jpg

IMG_7561.jpg

IMG_7564.jpg

IMG_7563.jpg

I think once they are painted, this will be less noticeable or maybe I should shorten the stand-offs to hug the body better? I will have to do some thinking on that and your comments are welcome.

Otherwise, the underside looks as expected:

IMG_7565.jpg

IMG_7566.jpg

Jsouder53

Hooked
That looks awesome! I wouldn’t have even thought of the body narrowing... if it’s not too terribly hard, I would shorten the stand-offs. Might as well and take the time to do it now rather than later.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I couldn’t help but agree with Jsouder and decided to rework the slider so it hugs the body.

Before:

IMG_7562.jpg

After:

IMG_7580.jpg

IMG_7576.jpg

I think it was worth the effort! I have to weld the gussets on, drill the mounting holes into the frame, mount and test. If all goes well the second slider should come together fairly quickly.

jdofmemi

That looks much better.

Great Fab work, you definitely have a talent.
I do question the bottom of the standoffs sticking down lower than the rails. They look like three places on each side to get hung up on in the event that the sliders get used to slide over anything.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I agree! Came out great!

Thanks!

That looks much better.

Great Fab work, you definitely have a talent.
I do question the bottom of the standoffs sticking down lower than the rails. They look like three places on each side to get hung up on in the event that the sliders get used to slide over anything.

Thanks for the kind words, time will tell if the standoff’s catch and hang on things. I’m hoping that with some good spotting, they won’t get much use other than providing a step for putting the top down or cleaning the windshield. I agree that a flat bottom would make siding over rocks easier. I choose to overlap the standoff’s and the rails to compensate for my lack of welding skill. Being where I am, there’s not much chance that these will even see any action, but I like the idea of having some better protection than the stock plastic steps.

Jsouder53

Hooked
I couldn’t help but agree with Jsouder and decided to rework the slider so it hugs the body.

Before:

View attachment 304609

After:

View attachment 304611

View attachment 304610

I think it was worth the effort! I have to weld the gussets on, drill the mounting holes into the frame, mount and test. If all goes well the second slider should come together fairly quickly.

Looks great!! I hope it didnt take too much extra work...

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Looks way better. How did you end up fixing it? The slider still looks straight.

I agree. The front and middle frame mounting flanges and some of the standoffs were cut off using a bandsaw. About 1 1/2” at the front and 5/8” at the middle. Made two new flanges and welded them on at a slight angle.

Looks great!! I hope it didnt take too much extra work...

Thanks! About 2 hrs, but definitely worth it!

sipafz

Caught the Bug
40k maintenance:

IMG_7568.jpg

IMG_7582.jpg

IMG_7583.jpg

Oil change, front & rear differentials and tire rotation. I found a chunk of a screw in one of the tread blocks:

IMG_7584.jpg

Afterward I cruised 4.5 miles to Lake Michigan where the temperature was 73 (17 degrees cooler than my house). Hard to believe that the difference could be that much in less than 5 miles:

IMG_7587.jpg

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Been awhile since the last update. Oscar got a good cleaning including the dreaded tire shine:

IMG_7774.jpg

IMG_7775.jpg

IMG_7777.jpg

Then off to the Homecoming Parade:

IMG_7783.jpg

IMG_7803.jpg

IMG_7795.jpg

IMG_7802.jpg

Yup, my daughter is on the swim team.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Our first few inches of accumulation is forecasted for tomorrow. Time to officially say goodbye to summer and drop the hard top on. [emoji53]

IMG_8146.jpg

Jsouder53

Hooked

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Been awhile since Oscar got any love. That changed this week as I picked up a new OBD II WiFi Adapter for $26 on Amazon:

IMG_8411.JPG

To go with it I downloaded and purchased a $15 license for OBD JScan from the App Store:

IMG_8444.JPG

Together I now have the power to write or flash the ECU to make changes like:
Tire Size
Gear Ratio
TPMS Thresholds
Enable Backup Camera
Enable Day Time Running Lights
Plus many more options

App also reads trouble codes and clears them, displays live data and testing of individual circuits. Tons of information and capability for very little money.

The app does overlap some capabilities that you might already have if you have the EVIC option, but goes much further.

To date, I have made the following changes:

TPMS - Changed the Target of 35psi and Indicator Light at 28psi to a new Target of 30psi and Indicator Light to 24psi. Finally I can get through a winter without having the TPMS Light on the entire time.

DRL’s - Changed from none to Turn Signals and Tail Lights

Backup Camera - Enabled and purchased the following Camera and required harness from Amazon for $36. Install to follow.

IMG_8432.JPG

Top Bottom