Outer axle tube seals worth it?

WJCO

Meme King
Yeah I figured it would there, that's the point of a truss to prevent that.

Sadly, even with a truss these OEM axles can come apart where the tube meets the pumpkin. Just happened to one of our members this year.

tinyten

Sadly, even with a truss these OEM axles can come apart where the tube meets the pumpkin. Just happened to one of our members this year.
Is there anything that can be done to prevent it? Other than going to a different axle

WJCO

Meme King
Is there anything that can be done to prevent it? Other than going to a different axle

Not really. With that being said, plenty of guys run OEM axles for a long time with no issues. But the truss and sleeve thing has been proven wrong time and time again. OEM axles can still fail regardless of sleeves and trusses.

RUBEERCON

Has anyone welded the tubes to the pumpkin? I have a RSE clam shell kit I'm about to weld up along with outer gussets. Not sure it will do much but I can't see it hurting anything either.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
Has anyone welded the tubes to the pumpkin? I have a RSE clam shell kit I'm about to weld up along with outer gussets. Not sure it will do much but I can't see it hurting anything either.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
I have on a Ford 8.8 and I can say it has never broken at the pumpkin, however I don't know if it would have anyways. Plus with that axle it has to be done anyways because the axle tubes are known to spin loose.

Sent from my Life One X2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

madstiles

Welding cast is different than steel but is possible. That doesn't mean it will hold but it might. I know you want to preheat the cast and control it cooling down. Their are different ways but wrapping with a welding blanket probably the easiest. Check some welding pages they would have more Info.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Slimebones

In Slimebones' case, his axle shafts are actually rubbing on them and creating a noise. So they are causing an issue.

I have been absent lately so sorry for the delayed response. Being that my ball joints are worn, the camber is off, causing the axle shafts to rub ever so slightly on the inner sleeve, if that makes sense. Perhaps the inner sleeves were not installed perfectly concentric when they were welded in, but the point is that the clearance between them and the shafts is reduced and if the ball joints are worn, the axles ride "higher" in them.

Top Bottom