Outer axle tube seals worth it?

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Warning - do not install!!

Yep sorry fixed it should have said, front axle outer seals

If you running the outer seals, how can you tell you have an inner seal leak if the fluid is trapped inside the tube. I think the outer seals do more bad than good. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

stitch1

Sorry for bringing this thread back to life. I currently have stock axles and shafts. Last summer, when I swapped out ball joints I pulled the shafts out and I noticed I had a decent amount of dirt in my axle tubes. I cleaned it all out and never thought about it again. Now, I am looking at replacing my front housing and was thinking maybe I should do these seals at the same time. Do they really help or would water still get in and then not be able to get back out?

The main reason I was thinking about them is where I mostly wheel there is a lot of water and mud crossings. To be axles deep in water is pretty common even on the main path in and out after a hard rain. While I really try to avoid mud as much as I can (the mud around here smells horrible) it's pretty unavoidable.

So would you say yay or nah to these? I would rather not buy them if they are worthless.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry for bringing this thread back to life. I currently have stock axles and shafts. Last summer, when I swapped out ball joints I pulled the shafts out and I noticed I had a decent amount of dirt in my axle tubes. I cleaned it all out and never thought about it again. Now, I am looking at replacing my front housing and was thinking maybe I should do these seals at the same time. Do they really help or would water still get in and then not be able to get back out?

The main reason I was thinking about them is where I mostly wheel there is a lot of water and mud crossings. To be axles deep in water is pretty common even on the main path in and out after a hard rain. While I really try to avoid mud as much as I can (the mud around here smells horrible) it's pretty unavoidable.

So would you say yay or nah to these? I would rather not buy them if they are worthless.

I've run outer seals in the past and on more than one Jeep. I don't know if I'd say they're worthless but it'd be hard for me to say they're "needed". There isn't a whole lot of deep mud in my neck of the woods but there's plenty of deep water crossings and none of my Jeeps have them now.

stitch1

Thanks Eddie, I think I will pass on them. Maybe halfway through the summer I will take everything apart and see if their is much dirt in there again. If so, I'll do them at that time.

mondricek

Front Outer Axle Seals - Yay or Neh?

I ordered some RCV outer axle seals for my PR44 last night thinking they were a good idea. However, I talked to a local expert this morning and he said he doesn’t run them on purpose because you wouldn’t be able to tell if you have a bad inner seal. But, then I talked to Northridge and they said that’s a valid point, but the outer axle seals would prevent debris from getting in the tube, which would then get caught on the axle, which would be carried into the inner axle seal and wear it out prematurely. So I don’t know. What is everyone’s take on them? Good idea, bad idea?

Thanks!

Ddays

Hooked
I ordered some RCV outer axle seals for my PR44 last night thinking they were a good idea. However, I talked to a local expert this morning and he said he doesn’t run them on purpose because you wouldn’t be able to tell if you have a bad inner seal. But, then I talked to Northridge and they said that’s a valid point, but the outer axle seals would prevent debris from getting in the tube, which would then get caught on the axle, which would be carried into the inner axle seal and wear it out prematurely. So I don’t know. What is everyone’s take on them? Good idea, bad idea?

Thanks!

IMHO NR$x$ will say it helps if they can make a buck on selling something. These seals are kinda one of those things that sounds like a really good idea and you really need it, but in reality aren't there from the factory for a reason. Like oil catch cans for example. :rolleyes2:

If you're worried stick a hose in the end of the axle and rinse it out now and again :twocents:

mondricek

IMHO NR$x$ will say it helps if they can make a buck on selling something. These seals are kinda one of those things that sounds like a really good idea and you really need it, but in reality aren't there from the factory for a reason. Like oil catch cans for example. :rolleyes2:

If you're worried stick a hose in the end of the axle and rinse it out now and again :twocents:

Haha Ddays yup I’m starting to get that impression too. But damn, they ship things so fast. I ordered them last night at midnight, called them at 8 this morning to cancel, and they were already out the door. At least that’s what they say... I’m going to return them

Top Bottom