Overheating

fiend

Caught the Bug
There is a thread somewhere here re the need to use the correct antifreeze and the bad results that happen when mixing HOAT with OAT. I seem to recall reading about a sludging effect, which could be what's depicted in your picture. Maybe consider a full coolant flush and then make sure you refill with the correct coolant formula.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Not normal, flush the shit out of the system. Hopefully it's not fully plugged somewhere.

BlackJKU08

I personally have not done anything with coolant, I had it at dealer about 6 weeks ago for recall work and had them do a once over since I bought used and am trying to build/repair, maybe they topped it off...

jknikos

I don't think 6 weeks is enough time for this to happen. Maybe the previous owner mixed some coolants. You can only use mopar HOAT coolant in the 3.8.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I personally have not done anything with coolant, I had it at dealer about 6 weeks ago for recall work and had them do a once over since I bought used and am trying to build/repair, maybe they topped it off...

Wouldn't surprise me if they did top it off as most dealerships will top off fluids as a service perk. Wouldn't surprise me if they got this wrong too.

Slimebones

I don't think 6 weeks is enough time for this to happen. Maybe the previous owner mixed some coolants. You can only use mopar HOAT coolant in the 3.8.

I was under the impression there are other HOAT coolants available other than Mopar, correct?

fiend

Caught the Bug
I was under the impression there are other HOAT coolants available other than Mopar, correct?

Yes. I got some at the local auto parts chain. I think Xerex makes it but I'd have to check to be sure. Says on the bottle that it's HOAT and specifically for certain Fiat and Chrysler vehicles.

ath_wndr

Sorry in advance for hi-jacking this thread.

I too am having an increase in coolant temp. Recently drove about 15 miles in 118 degree weather and noticed my coolant temp rising. The following day I checked the coolant level and it was sure enough low. Upon adding coolant the water pump started to leak at the gasket mating surface. I replaced the water pump and used Permatex The Right Stuff sealant instead of the paper gasket. The thermostat and radiator cap were also replaced. After flushing the system I used Zerex G-05 50/50 mix HOAT coolant to fill up the system and burp using Lisle 24680 Spill-Free Funnel. I burped the system at least 3 times and still experiencing temps about 3/4 of the way on the gauge. I back flushed the heat core today and burped the system again and still experiencing high temps. The fan operates correctly too and there is no smoke coming from the tail pipe and no water in the oil.

Could the gauge be faulty?

Update: I went ahead and burped the system again, but this time I shut off the flow to the heater core and as soon as the thermostat opened up all sorts of bubble started popping up in the funnel. After the bubbles seemed to quit I cycled the coolant through the heater core for good measure and no bubbles.
Test drove the JK and started off at operating temp but within 3 miles the temps crept up to close to 3/4 of the way on the temp gauge.

Last edited:

BlackJKU08

Seems like the coolant flush was the answer for me, though it looks like the fools at dealer who did my airbag recall and checked the cooling system loosened something up as I noticed a new leak when I hit home today...going to inspect and if something is wrong make them fix and replace coolant, hate wasting money...I guess thats what I get for asking them to just make sure things looked right after I did the work 🤦*♂️

BlackJKU08

So, still no word from the dealer on why the coolant won't seem to stay in jeep after the flush, they said everything was "good to go" after the flush and tightening the lower hose...but it was far from it, as i said just basically threw up coolant when I got home.

I brought it back up yesterday so they could look today and no word despite them being open since 730.

ath_wndr

Sorry in advance for hi-jacking this thread.

I too am having an increase in coolant temp. Recently drove about 15 miles in 118 degree weather and noticed my coolant temp rising. The following day I checked the coolant level and it was sure enough low. Upon adding coolant the water pump started to leak at the gasket mating surface. I replaced the water pump and used Permatex The Right Stuff sealant instead of the paper gasket. The thermostat and radiator cap were also replaced. After flushing the system I used Zerex G-05 50/50 mix HOAT coolant to fill up the system and burp using Lisle 24680 Spill-Free Funnel. I burped the system at least 3 times and still experiencing temps about 3/4 of the way on the gauge. I back flushed the heat core today and burped the system again and still experiencing high temps. The fan operates correctly too and there is no smoke coming from the tail pipe and no water in the oil.

Could the gauge be faulty?

Update: I went ahead and burped the system again, but this time I shut off the flow to the heater core and as soon as the thermostat opened up all sorts of bubble started popping up in the funnel. After the bubbles seemed to quit I cycled the coolant through the heater core for good measure and no bubbles.
Test drove the JK and started off at operating temp but within 3 miles the temps crept up to close to 3/4 of the way on the temp gauge.

Update #2: Took the Jeep to the shop and had them vacuum the air out of the engine/coolant system. Got it back yesterday and noticed it didn't get hot as fast as it did previously. Well, I borrowed an OBD II Bluetooth adapter to monitor the coolant temps using the Torque app. I just returned from a 12 mile drive in 109* degree ambient temp and the coolant readings got up to 244* degrees. I turned off the A/C and turned on the heater. The temps dropped to 220* Still no water visible in the oil, coolant level doesn't decrease, no moisture emitting from tailpipe, fan operates as it should, no obstructions to prevent air flow, thermostat changed and radiator cap replaced. I'm going to have the coolant tested to see what's the max. protection temperature.
Anyone have faith in the Prestone Coolant testers?

BlackJKU08

So, the stealership now said I had a crack in my radiator and wanted more than 700 for the repair.

I politely declined and brought my jeep home. After a parts/fluids run totaling about 200, and about 2.5 hours of work, new radiator and fluids are installed and everything is back to good.

ath_wndr

So, the stealership now said I had a crack in my radiator and wanted more than 700 for the repair.

I politely declined and brought my jeep home. After a parts/fluids run totaling about 200, and about 2.5 hours of work, new radiator and fluids are installed and everything is back to good.

WTF! They are pretty proud of their work...I guess. Well that's good you found a solution to your issue. My radiator is only 2 years old and no signs of leakage. I'm going to purchase a tester this afternoon and see what that tells me.

ath_wndr

Update #2: Took the Jeep to the shop and had them vacuum the air out of the engine/coolant system. Got it back yesterday and noticed it didn't get hot as fast as it did previously. Well, I borrowed an OBD II Bluetooth adapter to monitor the coolant temps using the Torque app. I just returned from a 12 mile drive in 109* degree ambient temp and the coolant readings got up to 244* degrees. I turned off the A/C and turned on the heater. The temps dropped to 220* Still no water visible in the oil, coolant level doesn't decrease, no moisture emitting from tailpipe, fan operates as it should, no obstructions to prevent air flow, thermostat changed and radiator cap replaced. I'm going to have the coolant tested to see what's the max. protection temperature.
Anyone have faith in the Prestone Coolant testers?

Update #3: Well, I finally took the Jeep to the shop and they diagnosed the issue. It is a plugged radiator. I could do the work myself, but have decided to have the shop take care of the problem. It saves me the time and sweating in my garage in this heat here in El Centro, Ca. Plus, it will be warrantied. LOL!
Like my dad always told me, there are 3 variables when it comes to repairing stuff, Time, Quality & Cost. You can only have two.

kawimoto

I had this same issue. my thermostat housing wasn't cracked and whole system showed no signs of leakage. still was overheating. replaced thermostat and all is good now. runs 10-15 degrees cooler

Top Bottom