Overland Options: Roof Top tent with Rack VS Offroad Trailer with tent

Rack with Tent or Trailer with Tent

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I do want it for tent and gear purposes. I am starting to think the trailer is definite solution. I do not hear any negatives about a trailer.

Well, the only real negatives with a trailer are....

1) Money(trailer itself, and matching tires/wheels)
2) Weight. You will feel it, especially if soppy soil and steep grades.
3) Gas mileage
4) TONS AND TONS of extra work if you come to a really tight switchback.

Positives, especially on a 2 door are obvious, the only way to get more cargo room. It honestly depends on what type of wheeling you do...."overland" style, meaning, mild stuff but far away from civilization that requires spending the night (like the white rim trail in moab) the trailer will suit you well. If playing on rocks, tight mountain passes, etc, I think it may annoy you more than help you. Maybe consider something like a quality roof rack that is made out of aluminum to keep the weight down, like Front Runner, so that you can pitch a regular tent on top of the roof without having to lug the crazy weight. LOD racks looks great but I don't think it is available for a two door.

bkac

Caught the Bug
How is the winter in a hammock?

With the right stuff cold nights aren't to bad. I personally haven't done it below 30 but have friend that have done it down 5 degrees. It's expensive but with the right stuff you can be really comfortable even at really cold temps. I wasn't sure how much I would like it but now I wouldn't go bank to a tent! The kids love it to!

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

combolc

Well, the only real negatives with a trailer are....

1) Money(trailer itself, and matching tires/wheels)
2) Weight. You will feel it, especially if soppy soil and steep grades.
3) Gas mileage
4) TONS AND TONS of extra work if you come to a really tight switchback.

Positives, especially on a 2 door are obvious, the only way to get more cargo room. It honestly depends on what type of wheeling you do...."overland" style, meaning, mild stuff but far away from civilization that requires spending the night (like the white rim trail in moab) the trailer will suit you well. If playing on rocks, tight mountain passes, etc, I think it may annoy you more than help you. Maybe consider something like a quality roof rack that is made out of aluminum to keep the weight down, like Front Runner, so that you can pitch a regular tent on top of the roof without having to lug the crazy weight. LOD racks looks great but I don't think it is available for a two door.

Exactly what i was looking for, thank you..

I am concerned about the type of trails that a trailer can manage before it becomes a burden. I will be overlanding but also like to play in the rocks/mounting passes etc..

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Exactly what i was looking for, thank you..

I am concerned about the type of trails that a trailer can manage before it becomes a burden. I will be overlanding but also like to play in the rocks/mounting passes etc..

Well, tight switchbacks make it annoying because you need to decouple and turn the trailer by hand, then re couple. As you can imagine, something like black bear pass or Morrison jeep trail are no fun when you have to decouple every 10 feet. On moderate rocks, the trailer becomes a nasty anchor/pivot point, and makes your rig far more unstable, the two door is more susceptible obviously. It's tough choice, but for me, I'd like the mobility and security of freedom with a roof rack. If I was crossing Africa, I'd want the trailer though. Finally, last option....would you consider switching to an unlimited?

Cole Trickle

It's tough to get all the gear in the jeep to go camping for a couple days.

I ended up going the trailer and ground tent route last year and it worked out pretty good. The trailer gave me the extra space needed to bring everything I need.

The little custom built offroad trailer worked great offroad and I pulled it on most of the local trails. I was able to pull it up Dischpan fully loaded and it never flopped.

I ended up getting in on a CVT RTT group purchase earlier in the year and as I got closer to mounting the tent I just knew it was going to mess up the COG and be too big for the 4x5 little trailer. I listed that trailer for sale and sold it pretty quick and I was going to build a small single axle box trailer. I wasn't really going to build it for pulling on the trails but just a base camp deal for the wife and kid.

Out of pure dumb luck I came across this completed box trailer on craigslist and was ablre to score it for the same price that I sold the other trailer for. I will end up mounting the RTT on a rack and then building a tounge mounted rack for water storage and adding a box so I can mount a battery to power lights a water pump and a stereo.

Attachments

• untitledt.jpg
    untitledt.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 240
  • 00e0e_dOuoDRUAmeC_600x450.jpg
    00e0e_dOuoDRUAmeC_600x450.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 240
  • 00404_iDzpW3CQCsz_600x450.jpg
    00404_iDzpW3CQCsz_600x450.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 238

Cole Trickle

found a picture from dischpan...I might have bent a fender on this run....lol

Attachments

• 1149492_4949335381579_2088916282_o.jpg
    1149492_4949335381579_2088916282_o.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 237

combolc

Well, tight switchbacks make it annoying because you need to decouple and turn the trailer by hand, then re couple. As you can imagine, something like black bear pass or Morrison jeep trail are no fun when you have to decouple every 10 feet. On moderate rocks, the trailer becomes a nasty anchor/pivot point, and makes your rig far more unstable, the two door is more susceptible obviously. It's tough choice, but for me, I'd like the mobility and security of freedom with a roof rack. If I was crossing Africa, I'd want the trailer though. Finally, last option....would you consider switching to an unlimited?

Is it really that difficult to turn? I was thinking with a 2dr I could squeeze around tight spots with trailer attached. Thanks for feedback definitely major concerns. Seems like the conversation would head the JKU way. I have been considering trade in but I do love my 2dr.

Cole Trickle

Awesome sounds/looks like trailer didn't create any major issues.

Do you have any experience with swichbacks with that trailer?

I bet the black trailer weighed less than 650 lbs unloaded and you couldn't even feel it behind the jeep. It followed perfectly with it's offroad max coupler hitch.

The only negative is it would bounce pretty good on fireroads at faster speeds. I aired it down but going lower with the PSI would have probably helped that issue.

combolc

I bet the black trailer weighed less than 650 lbs unloaded and you couldn't even feel it behind the jeep. It followed perfectly with it's offroad max coupler hitch.

The only negative is it would bounce pretty good on fireroads at faster speeds. I aired it down but going lower with the PSI would have probably helped that issue.

wow and hitch looks serious, changes the game

LeighP

Some years ago, I drove a Suzuki Sierra (I think you guys call them Jimny's?)....anyway, the last thing you want to do with one of them is to carry extra weight, but, they tow well enough, so I had a small trailer loaded with camping gear, water, fuel cans etc.
Excellent way to go, the vehicle rode better due to carrying only the ball weight of the trailer, and had no problem towing the small trailer and weight.
I'd recommend a trailer over a rack for a two door JK.....and I hate the idea of climbing in and out of a RTT, anyway.....lol. ;)

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Is it really that difficult to turn? I was thinking with a 2dr I could squeeze around tight spots with trailer attached. Thanks for feedback definitely major concerns. Seems like the conversation would head the JKU way. I have been considering trade in but I do love my 2dr.

Honestly, it depends on the turn. If the turn is tight AND uphill, then yes, it can make life very difficult. If the turn is just really tight, then you start to have the jacknife problem of backing up into your own trailer. It's not THAT big of an issue, but something you need to be aware of when taking tight turns. Also, depending on your axle gearing, you might want to regear to help pull the trailer.

StrizzyChris

My first instincts are to say "none of the above, pack less/better"

....except that my lady packs 8 bags for a 2 day trip and I now know that camping is tough especially in the future with kids will be painful

bkac

Caught the Bug
My first instincts are to say "none of the above, pack less/better"

....except that my lady packs 8 bags for a 2 day trip and I now know that camping is tough especially in the future with kids will be painful

Hammock camping! Light, simply, and the kids love it. :thumbup:
Gives the wife more room for more crap!

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

jagerhelix

Enjoy! I love camping out of a ruck, but if having a comfortable setup for my wife means more camping trips and ultimately more support for my jeep addiction than it's a win:D Now enjoy researching trailer set ups until your eyes bleed lol. Lots of options out there.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using WAYALIFE mobile app

combolc

One thing people are forgettable about roof tents is that you don't necessarily need to pack up camp. The hard shell versions let you leave all your sleeping gear and even clothes in the tent. It takes two seconds to close the tent and drive off. They're also not as heavy or as unaerodynamic and free up some space in the cab. It's a good compromise between a roof tent and trailer.

That being said, if you have kids, trailer is probably the way to go.

I like this option as well. My only issue is that it uses the entire roof rack.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
For 'overlanding' and light trails I would personally prefer a trailer. I could set up camp, drop the trailer and go hit some more serious trails in the area, then come back to a nice set up camp. If you plan on doing some more serious off road trails and need to take camp with you, then a RTT would probably be a better option for you. I personally like the look of a RTT, but some of these expedition trailer I have seen lately are just bad ass!

tapcola

What else do you want to put in the roof? I wouldn't want much more than 100lbs on the roof.

But some racks like LabRak let you mount a bunch of stuff on the sides below the top of the rack.

Some racks will let you put 3 to 400 lbs on them look at the new LOD rack .

Wardell

This is a pretty good discussion. I'm actually surprised there isn't an overlanding section on here for threads like this.

I guess it's like a few people on here have already said, and it all depends on how much kit you're travelling with, how difficult the terrain is that you're crossing, and how long you're staying in each spot:

- If you have a lot to bring with you (either due to many people are in the same vehicle or how long you're staying out in the wilderness, I'm not really meaning to infer anything about how anyone packs), you may need the trailer for some of your gear anyway. And that's even more likely if you have a 2 door.

- If you're travelling over really tough technical terrain or have to manoeuvre in tight spaces (like the switchbacks already mentioned), the trailer can be a bit less than ideal - though if you have a really good adventure trailer you should be able to pull through a lot that you might not expect until you try. Having everything on a roof rack saves you from worrying about where your trailer is, but having the extra weight up there does raise your centre of gravity a bit, so there is a trade off. Plus, if you have really big tires, a lift kit, roof rack, tent and other gear up there, you could have overhead clearance issues that you didn't anticipate. It all adds up.

- If you're doing a long trip through the wilderness and only staying in each spot overnight, it doesn't make as much difference which you choose. But if you intend to set camp, hit the trails, and return to the same base camp each night, the trailer is a better option since you don't have to pack it up. That said, a good roof top tent takes way less time to pack up than a ground tent, so it's not as bad as you'd think to set up and tear down camp every day.

The other thing about a trailer is, if you have the same tires on it as you have on your Jeep (including a spare for the trailer), you have a bit more redundancy if you need it for a really long trip.

I've actually seen a few people do both - a roof top tent on their vehicle, and another tent mounted on their trailer. It's good if you need extra room for everyone in a full vehicle to sleep, or some of you want space to yourselves (or want the kids to be in their own tent).

Hammock camping sounds really fun, but the big advantage of a roof top tent or trailer is that it keeps you up off the ground and away from animals. Most places this won't be a big deal, but if you're in an area where bears, etc can be a problem it's worth considering.

Personally, I'm leaning more towards getting a roof top tent than a trailer, but a tent or trailer is a lot lower on my list of things for my Jeep than some other upgrades. I'd consider get something like the JK Habitat or J180 if I could afford it, but those are about $10,000! It's a really nice setup though.

Top Bottom