Overland Options: Roof Top tent with Rack VS Offroad Trailer with tent

Rack with Tent or Trailer with Tent

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is the small HF trailer I typically use for camping, it is just big enough (36"X48") to hold 4 Plastic footlockers from Walmart and a 125qt Yeti cooler on the front. Thought I had a pic of it loaded down but I don't. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1413498620.219544.jpg Now, for our recent Rubicon trip we had to seriously cut corners for our little 2dr ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1413498721.270932.jpg

Webe

Trailer.jpg
Here's the start of mine. I designed it to go rock crawling too. Same wheels & tires. only need the one spare for both jeep and trailer.:brows:

bkac

Caught the Bug
Lee,
I really liked watching you pack up your last tent. Don't think I've laughed that hard in a long time. "I don't need that kind of added stress in my life."

Here's the not so quick, quick folding tent.
1413502881166.jpg

And its new home...
1413502929817.jpg

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

Webe

How much did the tent cost you? I've been thinking of going this route in the future but most I've looked at were a bit pricey for me.
It was $1200 shipped. 3 person tent with the skylight netting option. They start about $750 and go up.

combolc

What else do you want to put in the roof? I wouldn't want much more than 100lbs on the roof.

But some racks like LabRak let you mount a bunch of stuff on the sides below the top of the rack.

Agree, I wouldn't want a significant amount of weight overhead. However, I would be great if I could place a bin up there with camping gear. That is the only negative for me of a hard tent; it consumes the entire roof.

Last edited:

combolc

This is the small HF trailer I typically use for camping, it is just big enough (36"X48") to hold 4 Plastic footlockers from Walmart and a 125qt Yeti cooler on the front. Thought I had a pic of it loaded down but I don't. Now, for our recent Rubicon trip we had to seriously cut corners for our little 2dr View attachment 105712

Wow that how mine is usually packed... no extra space..

How do you think a offroad trailer would do on the Rubicon?

Wow that how mine is usually packed... no extra space..

How do you think a offroad trailer would do on the Rubicon?

It would have to be something well built I'm sure and even then some the obstacles we were on just a couple weeks ago I wouldn't even consider a trailer on. There are bypasses for many of the obstacles but I couldn't tell you what they are like as we chose not to use any of them.

Webe

I am building my trailer to be able to handle the Rubicon. I will be posting a build blog on it after it's all done. Basically though I started with a 4' x 6' 1/4" steel plate as a base and built up from that as a flat skid plate and using roll bar techniques to keep it light but strong.

combolc

I am building my trailer to be able to handle the Rubicon. I will be posting a build blog on it after it's all done. Basically though I started with a 4' x 6' 1/4" steel plate as a base and built up from that as a flat skid plate and using roll bar techniques to keep it light but strong.

Look forward to reviewing your build.

LeighP

Speaking of safety, roof top tents have another advantage. I've been reading this thread on ExPo: http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10705

Most of these freaky stories would have been avoided by sleeping in a roof top tent, from lions and tigers and bears to Zodiac killer style murders. It would be quite difficult to shoot or stab an unsuspecting couple if you couldn't see them and had to climb a 7ft ladder to reach them.

Australia is good like that...all the things that'll kill you are on or close to the ground...or in the water..... :rock:

combolc

I think it all depends on the trip. How long, terrain, passengers etc. You could get a basic trailer with a Thule type rack and a roof top tent and have the best of both worlds. You could run just the tent on the jeep, tent on the trailer for better highway mpg. Just use the trailer to haul dirt bikes, kayaks, etc.

A few other factors to consider:

According to some test by an Australian over landing magazine, a roof rack and roof top tent causes will cost you more gas than a trailer since the trailer is in the jeeps slip stream on the highway.

In some states, a trailer comes with a 55mph speed limit if you don't want a ticket.

I subscribe to the Scott Brady school of thought and want as little weight as possible on the roof. It's just safer.

Speaking of safety, roof top tents have another advantage. I've been reading this thread on ExPo: http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10705

Most of these freaky stories would have been avoided by sleeping in a roof top tent, from lions and tigers and bears to Zodiac killer style murders. It would be quite difficult to shoot or stab an unsuspecting couple if you couldn't see them and had to climb a 7ft ladder to reach them.

Interesting gas statement do you have the original article? I would love to read it

Cole Trickle

I would do everything possible when building a trailer to make it wide and keep the center of gravity as low as possible. Perhaps a water tank under the bed of the trailer with skid plates?

Honestly I think a trailer on the rubicon with a 140lb rtt would be a huge pain in the rear on the rubicon and I would be surprised if it didn't flop several times. My trailer worked amazingly good but a tent on top would have been an issue.

IgotaWoody39

Wanted to get some feeback from everyone regarding the pros and cons of each. I am attempting to determine the best solution for my 2dr JK and stuck in middle.

This is how I see it:

RTT:
Cons
Heavy on roof
Can get stuck on things
Cant setup base camp and wheel

Trailer
Cons
Expensive
Extra tires and wheels
How do they perform offroad? Is it an issue pulling a trailer around with you?

***They do make "spider legs" for the rtt's, so there is no restriction when setting up camp & going exploring...google it , & I believe CVT tents came out with the original concept..food for thought..***

Top Bottom