Poison spyder frame mounted sliders?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I bought the brawler rockers. Talking to the PSC guys for a bit at the Off road Expo a couple of months ago, they preferred those to the rocker knockers.

Based on looks and testimony the Evos are more rugged than what PSC has to offer. But I think the brawler rockers look more finished. It's a balance of form and function for me.

I definitely like the look of body mounted rockers and of them, the Brawler Rockers definitely are about as nice as they come but, with a big enough hit, they will do damage to your body. Just saw this happen on the Rubicon over the summer. The JK's are just so much heavier than the old TJ's and have super thin sheet metal to boot.

CaliCrusher

I definitely like the look of body mounted rockers and of them, the Brawler Rockers definitely are about as nice as they come but, with a big enough hit, they will do damage to your body. Just saw this happen on the Rubicon over the summer. The JK's are just so much heavier than the old TJ's and have super thin sheet metal to boot.

Yeah, I kinda wish I would have gone the Evo route with both bumper and sliders. At the time, I just joined Wayalife and really didn't dig deep enough into user feedback.

I guess I'm stuck with the sliders, seeing as how I have 30+ holes in the sides of my jeep that I'm sure won't line up with the evo holes. But they look sweet and I like them. I'll just have to risk it when I do the Rubicon. At least it's better protection than stock rails.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I kinda wish I would have gone the Evo route with both bumper and sliders. At the time, I just joined Wayalife and really didn't dig deep enough into user feedback.

I guess I'm stuck with the sliders, seeing as how I have 30+ holes in the sides of my jeep that I'm sure won't line up with the evo holes. But they look sweet and I like them. I'll just have to risk it when I do the Rubicon. At least it's better protection than stock rails.

Actually, factory rails are pretty damn strong and I would run them over a lot of aftermarket rocker guards any day of the week. As far as all the holes go, you should know that EVO came out with the skins they have in part to help cover the holes they made in EVO 1 back when they were running PUREJEEP body mounted rocker guards. Like all body mounted rocker guards, they are certainly tough but unfortunately, tougher than the body of the Jeep - this is why EVO came out with their own rocker guards way back when.

Having said all that, you should be fine so long as you are aware of the problem and are careful of the lines you pick.

JAGS

Hooked
Anybody know if the evo rock skins holes are in the same places as the posion spyder? Not trying to high jack the thread.

Not sure, but they would also then require the same size nutsert and bolt type. The main thing to me would be are all the holes covered. Cuz what's the big deal of a few more holes under the skin.

- Jason

sean.m.adams33

Not sure, but they would also then require the same size nutsert and bolt type. The main thing to me would be are all the holes covered. Cuz what's the big deal of a few more holes under the skin.

- Jason

Not to worried about the holes. Just thinking it would be a lot easier install.

Tcdawg

These new PS sliders definitely seem to be an improvement over their last set which would bend enough from a hard hit to prevent you from opening up your doors. I'd like to see how they do now.

Very true. I have the rocker knockers and if they are hit right, that is exactly what will happen. They look killer and will protect the tub, but if you hit them hard in the right spot they can bend up and contact the bottom of your door, happened to me. It took a lot of work to bend them back. Since then I have plans to change to frame mount, weld on solution. EVO or VKS were my choices. Not sure I would go back to the Frame mount rocker knocker due to price.

Sithwindu

Well I'm hoping that issue is solved with psc new frame mounted sliders. (Is there a major difference between aluminum rock skins and steel? Is aluminum worth the extra money?)

Tcdawg

Well I'm hoping that issue is solved with psc new frame mounted sliders. (Is there a major difference between aluminum rock skins and steel? Is aluminum worth the extra money?)

If they are the same thickness, the steel will be a little stronger, the aluminum will be a little lighter.

I used aluminum on the lower areas that are really secondary behind the Rocker Knockers. I used steel on the rear corners.

Here is the Rocker Knocker getting ready to take a hard hit. It was on this trail I bent the passenger side up enough to contact the door when I put them back on.

IMG_9009.jpg

Last edited:

StrizzyChris

Are you doing the bolt on long arm kit or the high clearance LA kit? I can almost guarantee the sliders will interfere with the bolt on kit

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Unless I read wrong, isn't high clearance arm for Evo lever only?

From what drew told me since I also asked the same thing with just the evo sliders I have, he said the weld on high clearance is the same, just mounts slightly differently and he did not mention anything about lever only. I could be wrong tho.

Sithwindu

From what drew told me since I also asked the same thing with just the evo sliders I have, he said the weld on high clearance is the same, just mounts slightly differently and he did not mention anything about lever only. I could be wrong tho.

Hmm I should enquire about this!

Big Bad Wolf

I'm glad it was mentioned the stock sliders are pretty tough. Obviously they are not as good as being attached to the frame but they do a good enough job for many users.

I need to figure out which can be ran with the Evo long arm kit.

I noticed aluminium was mentioned. For any area that will take hard hits steel is the way to go. I guess the exception would be if the aluminum was built ultra beefy but you would gain some weight back.

I like the idea of using aluminium in areas that don't get hit much, the catch is where is that ?

stormtroopedjk

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1470891491.548019.jpg
Kind of a horrible photo so sorry for that. But I have the body mounted poison spyder sliders. And honesty I love them. Not only do they look awesome but they are sturdy as hell. I doubt I'll ever use it for what it's intended for since I don't go that crazy on trails.. But I feel like they'll hold up to some abuse. I got a smoken deal on these off a buddy, but if I didn't I was going to go with Evo sliders.

Top Bottom