polyperformance vs metalcloak tie rod?

horrocks007

Following up on this, as the parts from Metalcloak came in and were installed. For this if you doing this yourself, it helps a lot if you have a pickle fork to get the upper drag link unstuck from the pitman arm.

Comparing the Metalcloak hardware to the Synergy, both are beefy and well built. The Metalcloak is zinc coated and is designed differently. Time will tell if the zinc coating will hold up, vs the powder coat on the synergy. The biggest difference I see it that the design of both the OEM and the Synergy use a pinch bolt type mechanism that has an open seam. The nice thing about the seam is that you can pry it open, to free up the adjuster sleeve, either located on outside (OEM) or inside (Synergy) the drag link or tie rod bar. The downside to these seams is that they are like open wounds being pounded with salt grime and mud from various jeeping adventures and daily driving. I think these seams are hard to clean out and have lead to my problems.

I personally would avoid these kind of pinch bolt seams used in the OEM and Synergy parts. In my opinion they are a poor design for us Northerner rust prone states.

IMG_1478293365.887674.jpg

IMG_1478293379.374997.jpg

Metalcloak win for me!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Rottenbelly

That should work out great for you.
View attachment 229613

That's is something I have never understood.
Why do you have the hydraulic ram pushing out in the middle of the tie rod in the weakest spot?!!
Seems to me its just asking for failure.
I have seen to many tie rods bent in the middle from this so I decided to set mine up to push towards the knuckle.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's is something I have never understood.
Why do you have the hydraulic ram pushing out in the middle of the tie rod in the weakest spot?!!
Seems to me its just asking for failure.
I have seen to many tie rods bent in the middle from this so I decided to set mine up to push towards the knuckle.

Without question, it's not the ideal setup but I have run it with both a RockKrawler and now Currie tie rod and without any problems. I should note that Matson is or was aware of the problem and the last time I talked to him, he was planning on making changes to address it.

Watch WAYALIFE YouTube Videos
WAYALIFE Jeeps & Specs

Rottenbelly

Without question, it's not the ideal setup but I have run it with both a RockKrawler and now Currie tie rod and without any problems. I should note that Matson is or was aware of the problem and the last time I talked to him, he was planning on making changes to address it.
WAYALIFE Jeeps & Specs

Good to know they are working on it.
I am a run what worked good for me kinda guy. So when it comes time to upgrade my steering again I will probably do the same setup I had on my last jeep.
Still undecided on the tie rod. The ruff stuff did ok but had noticeable flex under hard crawling.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Good to know they are working on it.
I am a run what worked good for me kinda guy. So when it comes time to upgrade my steering again I will probably do the same setup I had on my last jeep.
Still undecided on the tie rod. The ruff stuff did ok but had noticeable flex under hard crawling.

I completely agree with your logic here. This to me looks far less likely to cause additional problems down the road. The problem I see with pushing toward the center is you are actually pushing out as well (some worse than others depending on the axle side mounting location)

sjd78

I can tell you the tie rod ends are weak as hell too. A guy I know has broken the driver side twice with little effort. Same exact spot both times. They did send him a new rod end both times but who wants to keep breaking the same shit every time you hit the trail. IMG_1073.JPG IMG_1072.JPG

deadguy

Here's my synergy. Seemed to be a 1 in a million shot but the tie rod didn't fend well. Synergy did replace the whole tierod without question and I'm still running it today 1478392311379.jpg 1478392315805.jpg

Sent from my XT1096 using WAYALIFE mobile app

chitown35

LOSER
Yeah, people should click on the link below and check out SteerSmarts and see how they choose to do business.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?34385-STEER-SMARTS-has-been-Removed-from-WAYALIFE-for-PIMPING

Now, why don't you do everyone a favor and go back to where you came from.

Sorry but the forum rules don't work on my mobile app, is it not allowed to post about non-vendors?

Sent from my galaxy s5 but it would've been quicker to drive my jeep there and tell you.

WJCO

Meme King
Sorry but the forum rules don't work on my mobile app, is it not allowed to post about non-vendors?

Sent from my galaxy s5 but it would've been quicker to drive my jeep there and tell you.

You can talk about them as much as you want as long as you don't work for them or have a selfish agenda somehow. HOWEVER, there is a common sense level of respect. Certain companies have been very disrespectful here, so if you're aware of that, why bring it up. Would you tell your wife about all the girls you use to bang? Same logic, it's just disrespectful.

Draconianwinter

No. The problem was how they were doing things here. Click the link and read up on it. In a nutshell while they may make a good product they were not being very honest in how they were trying to sell it on here.

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
And to top it off, that particular company has really been trying to sneak in here in the last couple of days via numerous trolls.

chitown35

LOSER
Gotcha.

Anyway this thread does not seem to have a consensus at all, so as for myself maybe I'll just keep running stock until I break it and get stranded lol. Or maybe a portable welder is the wise investment here.

sipafz

Caught the Bug

Really, ignorance? You've been hanging around for months. Read the linked post, read the rules via internet browser and then make an intelligent comment or none at all!

chitown35

LOSER
Really, ignorance? You've been hanging around for months. Read the linked post, read the rules via internet browser and then make an intelligent comment or none at all!
I read the linked post but it didn't answer my question specifically. Haven't read the rules in months, didn't know if there was some sort of "banned" list or something, and I'm on a plane. I was just curious what the deal was. I would say sorry if I offended you somehow, but I really don't care. Luckily other members were kind enough to answer my question.

Last edited:

Gravedigger11

Gotcha.

Anyway this thread does not seem to have a consensus at all, so as for myself maybe I'll just keep running stock until I break it and get stranded lol. Or maybe a portable welder is the wise investment here.

IMG_1478489782.933694.jpg

I run a ruffstuff tierod with gm 1 ton TRE. I forget the specs of the dom but it is under 200 bucks and stout.

JoeB-JKURX

WAYALIFE Jeeps & Specs

I checked the Metalcloak website last night to see if they had changed the tie rod. To my surprise, they currently don't even have a tie rod for sale on their site. These must be some major changes Matson is planning.

Top Bottom