PR60 Vs. Ultimate 60

RSQCON

From what I've heard Dana has improved the quality but I think the bottom line is every company will have issues. What I don't want you to believe is that Dynatrac is the end all be all. Don't drink that koolaid cause it's a bunch of BS. They have their issues as well and as soon as you hit the 1 year mark you are on your own. With that said I'm running their Hardcore 60/60 package and have been happy for the most part. Their steering setup sucks so be prepared to drop another $1k or more into it. My front right caliper has hung up from day 1 that's been an ongoing battle and I didn't get the axles for 3-4 weeks after the original date quoted BUT I've ran Rubicon, Fordyce and Moab on multiple occasions with no issues.

I've got a buddy running Curries and another one running the Ultimate Danas and they are both happy as well so just do your homework and be comfortable with your decision. Many people here will recommend Dynatrac for obvious reasons but I would look at all your options including Currie, UD and Fusion.

From what I've heard Dana has improved the quality but I think the bottom line is every company will have issues. What I don't want you to believe is that Dynatrac is the end all be all. Don't drink that koolaid cause it's a bunch of BS. They have their issues as well and as soon as you hit the 1 year mark you are on your own. With that said I'm running their Hardcore 60/60 package and have been happy for the most part. Their steering setup sucks so be prepared to drop another $1k or more into it. My front right caliper has hung up from day 1 that's been an ongoing battle and I didn't get the axles for 3-4 weeks after the original date quoted BUT I've ran Rubicon, Fordyce and Moab on multiple occasions with no issues.

I've got a buddy running Curries and another one running the Ultimate Danas and they are both happy as well so just do your homework and be comfortable with your decision. Many people here will recommend Dynatrac for obvious reasons but I would look at all your options including Currie, UD and Fusion.

I appreciate the honest feedback and I'm glad you're happy with your choice! Good to know about their steering, I'll take that into consideration.

Choosing between the two, I would pick the one made in America that actually has a warranty that’s honored. Dynatrac will stand behind their product and has gone out of the way to help resolve any issues I’ve ever heard come up. The same can’t be said for Dana. I understand on paper one might seem better than the other, but that doesn’t mean it is.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Interesting, have any real world examples?

rogerk93

I would stay away from the unlimited 60, one of the guys decided to save a few bucks and went with spicer and his track bar bracket ripped off the axle after 2 weeks and spicer said the Jeep is too heavy so they won’t cover it. So we welded the bracket gusset it up and it has been good since. The bracket doesn’t get welded from the bottom so it has so much room to flex leading to its own failure.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Interesting, have any real world examples?

Nothing big, but I screwed up a lug on my PR60 (completely my fault) and Dynatrac sent me out a few new ones without question free of charge. If you spend some time looking around you will find they are pretty active on this forum and they have helped others out with issues that have come up. With a quick google search you can find numerous reports about issues with the Dana axles and no support. Big issues too, not just small stupid stuff. Yes there are cheaper options that will work fine, but for me made in the USA and awesome customer support mean something.

Last edited:
Looking to upgrade to some 60s pretty soon. Been debating on whether to go with the Dynatrac PR60s or the Spicer Ultimate 60s. What do y'all run and why? Looking for some good comparisons!

There's a lot to consider with this purchase, since no matter which you choose, it is a big investment that you only want to do once. The first thing to realize is that the two products may look similar but there are tons of details that set them apart. Little things that we've learned over the years building axles for people who go off-road, take the hard lines and depend on our axles for strength and durability.

If you're comparing our XD60 to UD60s, then there's a HUGE difference. We can share the details on that, but we're assuming that you're looking at our Hard Core ProRock 62/60 combo which is priced lower than the UD60 retail price. We recently upgraded our Hard Core Axle Set (hence the "62" name with the front axle). This axle now uses a new center section which is similar to our XD60 axles. The key feature of the ProRock 62 is the increased housing rigidity for better durability and longer gear life. It also has the best ground clearance of any 60-class axle, period, thanks to our patented ProRock design. In fact, it has more ground clearance than a factory Dana 44. The nodular iron diff cover is attached with 7/16-inch bolts and adds further structure and rigidity to the housing. This new, rockproof cover is sealed with an O-ring.

A bonus with the ProRock 62/60 package is that the front axle comes with Dynatrac rebuildable HD BallJoints already installed. These are last balljoints you’’ll ever need, and a $649 value.

This front axle uses our Pro 60 HD wheel ends with our exclusive Stub Hub, with fixed-spindle and serviceable wheel bearings.

The things that set the rear Pro 60 axle apart are our exclusive full-floating wheel ends with 1-ton heat-treated fixed spindles and Dynatrac-exclusive 10-bolt flanged floater wheel hubs. They are equipped with Dynatrac U.S.-made forged axleshafts.

AS others have pointed out, the warranty and service after the sale is also very important. We try to treat customers like 'wheeling buddies. Not just because it's likely we'll run into you on the trail, but because we have pride in our US-made product and we stand behind it.

Last edited:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
There's a lot to consider with this purchase, since no matter which you choose, it is a big investment that you only want to do once. The first thing to realize is that the two products may look similar but there are tons of details that set them apart. Little things that we've learned over the years building axles for people who go off-road, take the hard lines and depend on our axles for strength and durability.

If you're comparing our XD60 to UD60s, then there's a HUGE difference. We can share the details on that, but we're assuming that you're looking at our Hard Core ProRock 62/60 combo which is priced lower than the UD60 retail price. We recently upgraded our Hard Core Axle Set (hence the "62" name with the front axle). This axles now uses a new center section which is similar to our XD60 axles. The key feature of the ProRock 62 is the increased housing rigidity for better durability and longer gear life. It also has the best ground clearance of any 60-class axle, period, thanks to our patented ProRock design. In fact, it has more ground clearance than a factory Dana 44. The nodular iron diff cover is attached with 7/16-inch bolts and adds further structure and rigidity to the housing. This new, rockproof cover is sealed with an O-ring.

A bonus with the ProRock 62/60 package is that the front axle comes with Dynatrac rebuildable HD BallJoints already installed. These last balljoints you’ll ever need, and a $649 value.

This front axle uses our Pro 60 HD wheel ends with our exclusive Stub Hub, with fixed-spindle and serviceable wheel bearings.

The things that set the rear Pro 60 axle apart are our exclusive full-floating wheel ends with 1-ton heat-treated fixed spindles and Dynatrac-exclusive 10-bolt flanged floater wheel hubs. They are equipped with Dynatrac U.S.-made forged,

AS others have pointed out, the warranty and service after the sale is also very important. We try to treat customers like 'wheeling buddies. Not just because it's likely we'll run into you on the trail, but because we have pride in our US-made product and stand behind it.

Awesome!

jesse3638

Hooked

If you're comparing our XD60 to UD60s, then there's a HUGE difference. We can share the details on that, but we're assuming that you're looking at our Hard Core ProRock 62/60 combo which is priced lower than the UD60 retail price. We recently upgraded our Hard Core Axle Set (hence the "62" name with the front axle). This axles now uses a new center section which is similar to our XD60 axles. The key feature of the ProRock 62 is the increased housing rigidity for better durability and longer gear life. It also has the best ground clearance of any 60-class axle, period, thanks to our patented ProRock design. In fact, it has more ground clearance than a factory Dana 44. The nodular iron diff cover is attached with 7/16-inch bolts and adds further structure and rigidity to the housing. This new, rockproof cover is sealed with an O-ring.

A bonus with the ProRock 62/60 package is that the front axle comes with Dynatrac rebuildable HD BallJoints already installed. These last balljoints you’ll ever need, and a $649 value.

The things that set the rear Pro 60 axle apart are our exclusive full-floating wheel ends with 1-ton heat-treated fixed spindles and Dynatrac-exclusive 10-bolt flanged floater wheel hubs. They are equipped with Dynatrac U.S.-made forged,

AS others have pointed out, the warranty and service after the sale is also very important. We try to treat customers like 'wheeling buddies. Not just because it's likely we'll run into you on the trail, but because we have pride in our US-made product and stand behind it.

There it is right there. (Not sure who responded but I read that in Jim's voice...haha)

Ok now lets here from the UD60/Spricer Rep...:crazyeyes:

WJCO

Meme King

Bingo.

lincoln_by_jocachi-d80vngn.jpg

If you're comparing our XD60 to UD60s, then there's a HUGE difference. We can share the details on that, but we're assuming that you're looking at our Hard Core ProRock 62/60 combo which is priced lower than the UD60 retail price. We recently upgraded our Hard Core Axle Set (hence the "62" name with the front axle). This axle now uses a new center section which is similar to our XD60 axles. The key feature of the ProRock 62 is the increased housing rigidity for better durability and longer gear life. It also has the best ground clearance of any 60-class axle, period, thanks to our patented ProRock design. In fact, it has more ground clearance than a factory Dana 44. The nodular iron diff cover is attached with 7/16-inch bolts and adds further structure and rigidity to the housing. This new, rockproof cover is sealed with an O-ring.

A bonus with the ProRock 62/60 package is that the front axle comes with Dynatrac rebuildable HD BallJoints already installed. These are last balljoints you’’ll ever need, and a $649 value.

The things that set the rear Pro 60 axle apart are our exclusive full-floating wheel ends with 1-ton heat-treated fixed spindles and Dynatrac-exclusive 10-bolt flanged floater wheel hubs. They are equipped with Dynatrac U.S.-made forged axleshafts.

AS others have pointed out, the warranty and service after the sale is also very important. We try to treat customers like 'wheeling buddies. Not just because it's likely we'll run into you on the trail, but because we have pride in our US-made product and we stand behind it.

Wow thank you for the response! Yes looking at just the ProRock 60s not the XD's. That ground clearance is really impressive and it seems like a really amazing product.

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug

The HD Balljoints are no joke. They changed the feel of my JK from driving like a Radio Flyer Wagon down the road to an actual Car driving down the road. Yes car, as in it tracks solid and straight. Now its still nothing like my AUDI but damn what a difference!

Sullivan

Carbon Offroad is using Currie housings with their shafts. Giving a 10 year guarantee on the housing and 15 on the shafts.

I've also heard good things about Fusion 4x4 but don't know anyone running them.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Stay away from Carbon. Very bad service. My good buddy just got done with a nightmare ordeal. Brand new semi float 60 and it was all messed up. Thy fought him on the warranty and finally took it back to fix after he threatened to expose them. Then gets it back after it’s been “fixed” and is still messed up.
Now this was a new axles and was having grinding noises from day one.
After they returned to to him the second time and was messed up again, right away, they insisted it was something he did. Then they said it had to be coming from his front.
In the end, he demanded a full refund and to have them take he axle back. They finally did and he went and bought a Dynatrac, like we all told him to do.

BaddestCross

Stay away from Carbon. Very bad service. My good buddy just got done with a nightmare ordeal. Brand new semi float 60 and it was all messed up. Thy fought him on the warranty and finally took it back to fix after he threatened to expose them. Then gets it back after it’s been “fixed” and is still messed up.
After they returned to to him the second time and was messed up again, right away, they insisted it was something he did. Then they said it had to be coming from his front.
In the end, he demanded a full refund and to have them take he axle back. They finally did and he went and bought a Dynatrac, like we all told him to do.

Sucks to hear that. I'm running their front and rear shafts and they've been very responsive and helpful when I've needed to talk to someone over there.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Sullivan

Shafts and complete axles are totally different. Can't stand bad customer service.

Agreed.
And my buddy even followed up with them after he returned the axle. They had sent the housing back to Currie to see if there was defects. They was not. But they made up some garbage story about how Currie changed their center section castings and that’s what made the gears unable to be set correctly.
It was comical. They just wouldn’t step up and say they set gears or bearings wrong. Just pointed fingers at everyone else.

BaddestCross

Shafts and complete axles are totally different. Can't stand bad customer service.
Agreed on the difference in parts, but customer service should be good regardless of the product. I suppose they could lay off an issue with the housing on Currie, but it's no excuse to give a customer a bad time.

As far as I know, their warranty is supposed to be "no questions asked" so I'm surprised to hear about your buddy having a problem. Everyone I know or have read about has had little to no issues with Carbon's service.

--

J

JKDream

How long did this process actually take?
First time I've heard of something bad about their service.
Sounds like he ended up getting a full refund as well, I don't know if I'd call that bad service.

Top Bottom