Project '84 CJ-7

RageKage

Not sure how far you've come on your build but if you're still looking for a tub, there are places I've found online that sell full fiberglass tubs and 1 piece front ends, or piece together front ends. Granted they are fiberglass so not sure if you'd like that much. Also a 350 will bolt right up to the existing motor mounts but you'll have a huge gap between engine and radiator. I have the stock engine in my 74 CJ5 and I have thought about doing the 350 route. They make complete kits for the 350 swap such as new mounts and wiring and fuel injection if you don't want a carb to mess with. As far as driveline you should be fine with just about anything that will mate to a 350, there's loads of connectors to bolt up a transfer to whatever transmission to decide on. Just gotta do some Google magic. I was leaning towards a 350/hydro 350 trans but I wanted to keep it a stick and as stock a driveline as I could. I believe just the mounting locations and driveshafts lengths is where things will have to be customized. I haven't looked in a while as my restore has been put on hold for a few years so I'm not sure how much has changed or been done away with.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
^^ thanks for the info, I'm pretty committed to a metal body while taking steps (while it's all apart) to prevent rust and rot down the road. While this tub has Raptor liner inside and under. There are a few spots that could've been handled a tad better. But if I didn't have a good friend that owns/runs a Linex location I'm not sure I would've caught them. It's mostly that I want to get them addressed while it's very easy to do so.

I am very interested in any/all info on driveline right up until I pull the trigger on an engine & trans. Any links that you would be willing to post I'll definitely have a look at. The Novak site has been very helpful so far.

RageKage

^^ thanks for the info, I'm pretty committed to a metal body while taking steps (while it's all apart) to prevent rust and rot down the road. While this tub has Raptor liner inside and under. There are a few spots that could've been handled a tad better. But if I didn't have a good friend that owns/runs a Linex location I'm not sure I would've caught them. It's mostly that I want to get them addressed while it's very easy to do so.

I am very interested in any/all info on driveline right up until I pull the trigger on an engine & trans. Any links that you would be willing to post I'll definitely have a look at. The Novak site has been very helpful so far.

I'll see what I can dig up. I believe Morris 4x4 was the site I usually looked at for my CJ parts. I thought about doing a fiberglass body because the original needs some welding work underneath (some of the cross supports broke at one end and it looks like they've been welded before) but I agree the metal body is definitely the way to go. Being that you have an 84 parts should be much easier to come by than my 74. Usually I can only find stuff for 76 and newer and I'm not sure how much will actually fit on a 74.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
I have cash in hand and unless something happens, plans are to pick up the body tub early Sunday morning! I'm so f'ing excited right now. I know there's a lot of parts to buy and a lot of money still to spend but, aside from paint, I'm really happy to get two of the big $ items that can also be difficult to find out of the way quickly. I think I'm gonna take it easy for a while to rebuild some of the project funds but keep the corner of my eye out for hard door shells and parts. After that, I think most of the parts I'm going to need are relatively easy to find. I'm still leaning towards an LS and 4L60e.

Also it'd would be much appreciated if anyone here that owns a CJ and/or is really familiar with them could help with routing for the main harness. I've yet to spend a lot of time with a CJ-7 in person. i know that the harness from Painless is pretty well laid out and labeled but see pics from one done right can't hurt. And as I under stand it, some connectors still need spliced/soldered in.

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Made it home today with the tub. My neighbor helped me get it up resting on the frame. Looks really silly at the moment sitting on these little Geo Tracker wheels/tires. It may be a little tall even when we put 35s on it. But I'll have to wait and see.

IMG_3008.jpg

IMG_3010.jpg

IMG_3011.jpg

IMG_3012.jpg

IMG_3013.jpg

IMG_3016.jpg

IMG_3014.jpg

IMG_3020.jpg

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Was BSing with a fellow vendor at one of my accounts and he was asking if I’d be interested in a drivetrain out of his brother’s Camaro parts donor vehicle. Chevy LS and 4L60e w/ harness and PCM for $2Kish. He was saying the engine didn’t have a lot of miles especially for the model year of the car (early 2000s). I’m gonna look into it and hopefully it works out. That would be the last of the really high ticket items for this project until it’s ready for paint a ways down the line. Everything else can be pieced together for a couple hundred here and there over time. The price seems reasonable enough and inline with what I’ve been seeing online and this local purchase would eliminate a lot of logistics with freight.

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Just thinking out loud.....the frame is supposed to be on 5” leaf springs. I’m wanting to go with 35s most likely but a couple of things I was thinking about. To broaden my selection of wheels are there wheel adapters that convert the lug pattern from 5.5x5 to 5x5? Also the shackles on the suspension at the moment are really tall/long. If I put 35s on it (I could test fit my MXTs with adapters) and the stance was a little high for my liking, could I just swap out the shackles without changing anything else to lower it a little? While the vehicle’s suspension seems to be fairly simple I’m not terribly familiar with the do’s and do not’s. Would hate to F something up because I didn’t ask.

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Just thinking out loud.....the frame is supposed to be on 5” leaf springs. I’m wanting to go with 35s most likely but a couple of things I was thinking about. To broaden my selection of wheels are there wheel adapters that convert the lug pattern from 5.5x5 to 5x5? Also the shackles on the suspension at the moment are really tall/long. If I put 35s on it (I could test fit my MXTs with adapters) and the stance was a little high for my liking, could I just swap out the shackles without changing anything else to lower it a little? While the vehicle’s suspension seems to be fairly simple I’m not terribly familiar with the do’s and do not’s. Would hate to F something up because I didn’t ask.

Looking at your shackles they look to be about an inch and a half lift. Those really need to go. Swap out to the stock size and it should get you close to the height you're looking for, plus it will align properly. I will say your springs don't look arched enough to be 5 inches. Could be the angle I'm seeing from.

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Bump!!

After a divorce, 2 moves, and getting settled into my current home along with my garage project over the last two years, I’m finally diverting my attention more towards this project. I’ve been doing quite a bit of research on drivetrain options and learning as much as I can about the CJ7 in general. I have my eyes on two current GM drivetrains that fit my budget. Both of which should do. Option 1 is a 4.8 LS with a 4L60e (including harness, computer, drive by wire pedal, etc.) the setup has ~65k miles on it, for around $2300 dropped via liftgate right in my driveway. Option 2 is a 5.3Ls with a 4l60 with all the extras as well for around $1900 shipped but has well over 100k mikes on it. This seller requires a pick up at the local terminal too. Not a deal breaker but not as convenient. There’s a distant third option of a 4.8 LS mated to a 4L80 with also a bunch of miles but unless I’m advised differently, it’s not a serious consideration at the moment. Theoretically I guess the non electronic 4L60 would make for a simpler install all around. From what I’ve gathered the 4L60 and 4L80 do not have removable bell housings which would make a rebuild a little more cumbersome. I will consult with Novak on these options but I expect to make a decision in the next few days and pull the trigger. I’m pretty excited. As stated before I’m very comfortable with the GM options for several reasons and between being more comfortable/familiar with them out of the gate and the online and print resources only getting better, I’m pretty excited!

Since I didn’t purchase a complete CJ7 to begin with, the tub in particular has no existing parts to work with. So I’ve begun to investigate and source a few parts that may be difficult to find used or new. Like brake and e-brake pedals, steering column brackets, heater boxes, etc. I pulled the trigger on some steering column brackets on eBay last night.

This is the current front-runner engine/transmission. The seller is going to remove the Chevy transfer case and drop the price on the listing for me.

AFE9E1BC-2016-4F88-A5EF-6EB3AEA39AC3.jpg

Last edited:

wjtstudios

Hooked
Can’t help you much on the engine selection, but it’s great to see you moving again [emoji106]

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Can’t help you much on the engine selection, but it’s great to see you moving again [emoji106]

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Thanks!

I did it! After consulting with Novak, a local machine shop, and the salvage yard that has the driveline, I pulled the trigger on the 4.8L and. 4L60e. I’m stoked to have this project back on track. I also ordered an engine hoist and stand and a couple books (LS Series Engines and 4L60e rebuild) off of Amazon. Between literature, YouTube and online information I’m really confident this Jeep will turn out great. Build will be slow as hell, but great nonetheless...

Last edited:
Top Bottom