Project '84 CJ-7

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
After slumming on the couch for a few evenings and doing some digging, at the moment I'm leaning towards a Chevy LS conversion with a 4L60e trans. There are adapters to mate the Dana 300 transfer case to the trans and while I haven't seen it in practice in person, this seems to be relatively easy to hook up the wiring harness. There's certainly no shortage of the 5.3s or 4.8s and remanufactured transmissions are really affordable....I'm a ways out from making a purchase but I'm feeling good about this route. On the surface, this approach appears to offer what I'm after which a decent combo of power, efficiency and reliability with relative affordability. Thoughts?

Since the purpose of this project is not an all original show piece, so far I haven't been able to wrap my head around AMC components for what my goals are.

Oh yeah, while I love stock old iron, there's not need to commit to it especially from where you're starting at. An 350 is what I might have gone with but hell, an LS would be a great way to go.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Also keep in mind, I've heard of Colorado not passing a Jeep on emissions or something because of the year mismatch between engine and Jeep. It was an old CJ7 with a newer Chevy engine in it. Couldn't get registered so I passed on that one.

Before pulling the trigger on anything, I'd call your DMV, get someone who knows their stuff, tell them your plan, get their name and email, and have them put in writing that you'll be good to go.

It seems nuts, to me, that they wouldn't pass one, with what has to be a more efficient engine. That's the government for you.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It seems nuts, to me, that they wouldn't pass one, with what has to be a more efficient engine. That's the government for you.

Only in places like Colorado or California. Don't have issues like that in my neck of the woods. :cool:

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Oh yeah, while I love stock old iron, there's not need to commit to it especially from where you're starting at. An 350 is what I might have gone with but hell, an LS would be a great way to go.

I can certainly appreciate the 350, and if I were doing a conversion on my JK no doubt. I keep coming back to this is highly likely to be my kids first ride. And I want this Jeep to have power in reserve so that it can get up and go when needed and merge into traffic without causing a 10 car back up, etc, but at the same time I don't want him even beginning to even think this is a street rod....I think most get the point. I was even looking at the 4.3 V6 in that vane but there's really no cost benefit at all going that route especially if I purchase something rebuilt. The 5.3s and 4.8s seems like a good compromise and the only reason I mention the 4.8 is it gets about 3 mpg better than the 5.3 and still has plenty of power. It really will come down to what's out there and available when I'm ready to buy. I suppose I'll at least need a tub on hand while mounting the driveline to check clearances as I go. I know that no matter what we decide to do, we're gonna have fun and this Jeep is gonna be NICE.

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug

I completely agree. Not sure the rationale on that one.

Only in places like Colorado or California. Don't have issues like that in my neck of the woods. :cool:

I'll do my due diligence at the DMV but I'm fairly certain I won't have issues in DE.

notnalc68

I can certainly appreciate the 350, and if I were doing a conversion on my JK no doubt. I keep coming back to this is highly likely to be my kids first ride. And I want this Jeep to have power in reserve so that it can get up and go when needed and merge into traffic without causing a 10 car back up, etc, but at the same time I don't want him even beginning to even think this is a street rod....I think most get the point. I was even looking at the 4.3 V6 in that vane but there's really no cost benefit at all going that route especially if I purchase something rebuilt. The 5.3s and 4.8s seems like a good compromise and the only reason I mention the 4.8 is it gets about 3 mpg better than the 5.3 and still has plenty of power. It really will come down to what's out there and available when I'm ready to buy. I suppose I'll at least need a tub on hand while mounting the driveline to check clearances as I go. I know that no matter what we decide to do, we're gonna have fun and this Jeep is gonna be NICE.

WJCO mentioned that the 5.3 had some lifter issues, or something like that.

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Hmm that seems familiar.....I think they can be replaced with roller lifters?

Obviously this is the very early stages, I'll keep doing my reading and research to make the best decision I can.

notnalc68

I'd consider a Chevy L31. It's their Vortec line of fuel injected truck motors from the late '90's. The guys at MoTech probably know all about it. There is a lot of good swap information at Novak, too.

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
^ ive been on Novak's site a lot the last the couple days and actually spoke to Brad from Novak last night for ~15-20 mins

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
https://delaware.craigslist.org/pts/6156070662.html

If this tub is still around in a month or so I think I'm gonna take a drive to check it out. And then perhaps make a purchase. When speaking to Novak, he made a good point that the tub would be good to have around for clearances when I finally begin to mount a drivetrain. Made sense to me. So if this tub is as advertised. It's local enough to get it here with relative ease. I wish I had a larger garage.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

If this tub is still around in a month or so I think I'm gonna take a drive to check it out. And then perhaps make a purchase. When speaking to Novak, he made a good point that the tub would be good to have around for clearances when I finally begin to mount a drivetrain. Made sense to me. So if this tub is as advertised. It's local enough to get it here with relative ease. I wish I had a larger garage.

The tub looks clean for sure.

wjtstudios

Hooked

That does look clean and he kept to straight. Nice find!

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Couldn't get out to look at the tub this weekend out of sheer laziness if I'm being honest. But today is a better day for looking anyway, since it saving me a little extra driving around. The area I work in on Mondays is only an hour away from the seller so it's easier to have a look and get back to work than to take a ~2 hour drive on a weekend.

Ddays

Hooked
Admiring this cool project. That'll be great working on something from scratch instead of fixing someone else's screw-ups. Be interested in seeing what engine package you go with. Love the simplicity of the old school stuff
but then again, there's something to be said for the practicality of the newer electronics. Especially when you go to start it in the middle of Winter. I do NOT miss those old damn manual chokes!

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
okay it's a converted YJ tub but it's REALLY well done. I can tell the guy knows what he's doing as everything has been meticulously done and with some additional reinforcements in some known trouble spots. He showed me some other Jeeps he's done including his DD which is also a really nice CJ. His DD is by far the nicest driveable CJ I've seen in the area since I've been looking for one. But I think I have to buy this one, it's everything in person that it appears to be in the pics. There's some VERY minor things that can easily be addressed before paint. But for my needs it's exactly what I'm after, a clean tub/body with all the holes and threads present and ready to be worked with. We agreed on $3k (down from $3300) I didn't want to beat him up much as I could tell a lot of hard work was put into it and I believe there's something to be said for that.

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Admiring this cool project. That'll be great working on something from scratch instead of fixing someone else's screw-ups. Be interested in seeing what engine package you go with. Love the simplicity of the old school stuff
but then again, there's something to be said for the practicality of the newer electronics. Especially when you go to start it in the middle of Winter. I do NOT miss those old damn manual chokes!

Subscribed!!!!!!!!!!!!! So far i love what i see

Good luck with the rest!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys!

Top Bottom