Project-JK Fordyce Creek Trail Run 2011

spinuck

How much of a harder time did Honey Badger have on 35's going through the whole trail? Any major body damage? From what I see, the stock rubicon sliders aren't enough protection for the whole trail. Would the stock rubicon sliders be enough to get past water crossing #1 and then turn around from there? I hear there is a turn around path immediately after water crossing #1. Thanks!

I would say on 35's you could get through the first water crossing with just rubi-rails. If i remember correctly, you're more likely to rub the belly than the rock rails. There is a little opening across the first crossing where you can easily turn around. A fellow forum member and I went nearly to the first water crossing in the snow a couple weeks ago.

Here's a link from last summer at the first water crossing:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
:cheesy: This thread really took on a life all it's own!! :crazyeyes:

I'm all for doing this run again and this year if I can BUT, I will have minimum requirements that will need to be met and I will have to cap the group size. While this trail can be run in a lesser Jeep, it'll slow things up quite a bit and that will suck for everyone so I hope you can be understanding.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
BTW, here's a clip of Honey Badger going through the first water crossing with his 35's. I should note that this was done during one of the LOWEST flows of the year...

Needless to say, you should be prepared to take on some H2O.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
BTW, here's a clip of Honey Badger going through the first water crossing with his 35's. I should note that this was done during one of the LOWEST flows of the year...

So there won't be any water crossings this year since there wasn't any rain. :cheesy:

mcpuck

Caught the Bug

That was some funny shit right there!

:cheesy: This thread really took on a life all it's own!! :crazyeyes:

I'm all for doing this run again and this year if I can BUT, I will have minimum requirements that will need to be met and I will have to cap the group size. While this trail can be run in a lesser Jeep, it'll slow things up quite a bit and that will suck for everyone so I hope you can be understanding.

"If" you decide to plan a trip when would you think would be best time? My guess is mid to late summer to avoid any spring run off there may be (not much snow but there is still some).

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
We ran it late September when the water levels were supposed to be at the lowest levels. The water is dam controlled so ACOE can change it without notice. It's kind of a crap shoot.

We ran it late September when the water levels were supposed to be at the lowest levels. The water is dam controlled so ACOE can change it without notice. It's kind of a crap shoot.

Gotcha! Well if anyone plans a trip I would love an opportunity to join :yup:

its my understanding that water flows are planned in advanced, with a little fine tuning when monitoring the live flow. PG&E has been known to reduce flow rates for events on the trail like sierra trek, but September October the flow is pretty minimal as they try to store winter water. I'm pretty sure PG&E gives future flow data to Friends of the Fordyce, if I see a forecast i'll post it. Last time I saw the lake it was a pond, so i wouldn't be surprised if this is one of the lowest flows this year.

Top Bottom