Prorock 44

JKbrick

The factory front Rubicon 44 front axle uses 2.5" tubes that are only .25" thick. This is essentially what a Dana 30 uses and that's why the Rubicon 44 is really only a 44 by name. Sure, the diff is still bigger and therefore allows for a bigger ring and pinon and beefier shafts but the "housing" and knuckles are basically a Dana 30.

The rear Dana 44 axle on a JK uses 3" tubes that are .25" thick and that's what makes it a "true" Dana 44. You still will have bending issues if you drive hard and fast enough but for crawling, it'll hold up fine. If anything, were you will see the downfalls of a factory 44 is in the semi-float shafts as the flanges WILL bend with hard use. I should note, the flanges WILL bend REGARDLESS of what fancy and expensive shafts you choose to run. If you play hard enough, the best option is to get something like a Dynatrac Trail 60.

Well that is disappointing, both have .25 tubes. Maybe I'll be safe since I only trail ride up in Michigan, nothing hard that I've come across so far

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
So long as you stick to running 37's and with 5.13 gears or lower, ProSteer ball joints and good chromoly shafts with full circle clips - you shouldn't have any real weak points running a ProRock 44. Your unit bearings will still be the same as factory and they will need to be replaced sooner than later especially being that in order to run 37's, you really want to run them on wheels with less back spacing.

Well that's good to know. I have still not decided on what direction to take with axles. The pr44 is on the radar though.

D.B.

Should there be any modifications made to the steering system when moving up to 37's? I am currently running the stock drag and tie rods with a Teraflex 3.5" lift on 35's.

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Should there be any modifications made to the steering system when moving up to 37's? I am currently running the stock drag and tie rods with a Teraflex 3.5" lift.

no but since you are over 3" of lift you would benefit from getting the evo drag link flip kit which flips the drag link and raises your trackbar to help with your handling

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well that is disappointing, both have .25 tubes. Maybe I'll be safe since I only trail ride up in Michigan, nothing hard that I've come across so far

If you're referring to the rear axle, you have to remember that it's .25" on a 3" tube. That extra .5" of tube offers a greater cross section and therefore provides more strength. It's not as good as what you can get with something like a ProRock but it isn't too bad especially for where you live and wheel. If it were me, I wouldn't even worry about it. If anything, it'll be your shaft flanges that will bend way before your axle tubes.

Well that's good to know. I have still not decided on what direction to take with axles. The pr44 is on the radar though.

A ProRock 44 front and factory rear 44 makes a good setup. I have run it on multiple JK's and they've held up well.

Should there be any modifications made to the steering system when moving up to 37's? I am currently running the stock drag and tie rods with a Teraflex 3.5" lift on 35's.

no but since you are over 3" of lift you would benefit from getting the evo drag link flip kit which flips the drag link and raises your trackbar to help with your handling

What cozdude said. If you can afford it, you will find that the addition of a ram assist will be nice too but not necessary.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Now my question just to hijack could a prorock 44 hold up to 49 inch tire?

I saw that you meant to say "40" but the answer is still NO. While the housing may be able to hold up the abuse, the small Dana 44 internal components will not be able to.

D.B.

If you're referring to the rear axle, you have to remember that it's .25" on a 3" tube. That extra .5" of tube offers a greater cross section and therefore provides more strength. It's not as good as what you can get with something like a ProRock but it isn't too bad especially for where you live and wheel. If it were me, I wouldn't even worry about it. If anything, it'll be your shaft flanges that will bend way before your axle tubes.

A ProRock 44 front and factory rear 44 makes a good setup. I have run it on multiple JK's and they've held up well.

What cozdude said. If you can afford it, you will find that the addition of a ram assist will be nice too but not necessary.

When is a ram assist needed or required? Additionally, when should the tie rod and drag link be upgraded? After a bend or do it now since the stock ones will not hold up with the use of 37's.

Last edited:

Saharacon

I saw that you meant to say "40" but the answer is still NO. While the housing may be able to hold up the abuse, the small Dana 44 internal components will not be able to.

Thanks Eddie these were my thoughts before, but seeing how we have a couple local guys running 40s on dana44s I was curious to see if the PR44 could handle it.

The max tire size would be 37-38" for the PR44?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Thanks Eddie these were my thoughts before, but seeing how we have a couple local guys running 40s on dana44s I was curious to see if the PR44 could handle it.

The max tire size would be 37-38" for the PR44?

just because someone is doing it doesn't mean they are smart or right lol. they will fail sooner rather than later.

Saharacon

Oh no they have and do. I just watched a mates spider gears blow apart from running 40s. I'm planning on 37s max in the future

Top Bottom