PSC Big Bore Cylinder Assist install issues

Option three:

Have them send you the kit, then have your local shop build the hoses and carry the builder kit as a spare.

I like that option. And I have the front end at full droop now with the body on 6 ton jack stands. Hopefully have this thing ready for Moab this weekend.

Ddays

Hooked
Those ends are a mother to install. I have a builders set as spares and I tried to put one together in my garage for practice. Lets just say I need a lot more practice. :rolleyes2:

wjtstudios

Hooked
Those ends are a mother to install. I have a builders set as spares and I tried to put one together in my garage for practice. Lets just say I need a lot more practice. :rolleyes2:

There’s a couple YouTube videos of it. I didn’t have too much trouble, locking the hose down in a vice helps a ton.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Ddays

Hooked
There’s a couple YouTube videos of it. I didn’t have too much trouble, locking the hose down in a vice helps a ton.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Yeah, I tried it as a field repair exercise to see how hard it was and it sucked. Now that I have a trail vise that would make it a helluva lot easier. :D

wjtstudios

Hooked
Yeah, I tried it as a field repair exercise to see how hard it was and it sucked. Now that I have a trail vise that would make it a helluva lot easier. :D

For sure. Do you carry an extra line set on the trail?

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Something else easily forgotten is to have a spare belt. The PSC system has a longer belt and it's a really good idea to have a spare handy

I didn't realize it was longer but that makes sense since the idler pulley is larger. I know it was a bear getting the new belt on. It just barely fit.

Weebz

Caught the Bug
I didn't realize it was longer but that makes sense since the idler pulley is larger. I know it was a bear getting the new belt on. It just barely fit.

Yeah. I used my stock belt and it fit. If I recall depending on the year of the PSC pump drove whether you needed the larger belt. They made a change at some point.

Weebz

Caught the Bug
Not a whole set - it's a repair kit and the fittings are a pain in the ass. I need to just buy a set of hoses.

I have the caps as part of my gear now too but also a spare hose. I just kept the good hose from the set I just replaced had replaced. Hopefully it’s the longer one!

fiend

Caught the Bug
I blew a PSC line on the trail one time. First order of business is to have a fire extinguisher handy. Hydraulic fluid sprayed about in the engine bay, including on the exhaust manifold. Thankfully it didn’t ignite. Secondly, I’d have either caps or spare lines, plus extra fluid. I had caps, which enabled me to remove the ram and lines, cap off the steering gear box, and keep driving that day and the next day. I also carry an extra serpentine belt.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Something else easily forgotten is to have a spare belt. The PSC system has a longer belt and it's a really good idea to have a spare handy

I carry an extra belt also, but it’s not a longer one. Not needed for the setup I have

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
I blew a PSC line on the trail one time. First order of business is to have a fire extinguisher handy. Hydraulic fluid sprayed about in the engine bay, including on the exhaust manifold. Thankfully it didn’t ignite. Secondly, I’d have either caps or spare lines, plus extra fluid. I had caps, which enabled me to remove the ram and lines, cap off the steering gear box, and keep driving that day and the next day. I also carry an extra serpentine belt.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Good point, you can definitely cap it off and keep going. Which is why I also carry caps. It’s nice having extra line though so you can make the repair if it’s a long weekend. Turning 40s without a ram sucks. I also don’t have the big bore, wasn’t out yet when I made the upgrade

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Finally finished with this install. Thanks to those who said to get the front end at full droop. That was key to figuring out my hoses were too long. I had several inches cut off of them and then had those terrible 90 degree fittings replaced. That made the job easy once I had proper fitting hoses. It cost me $32 and 15 minutes of my time to have the hoses cut and new fittings installed.

PSC said I have my cylinder mounted too far to driver. That's the reason the hoses were too long. I pointed out to them that none of their literature gives guidance on where to mount the cylinder. I like where I have it. It's almost in the center. It looks good there and it is closer to the gear box so less chance for hose binding. It also works perfectly.

CF6CB793-75A7-45A3-8591-649FFD6606DD_1_102_o.jpg

All in all, this is a very good, but very expensive kit. The hose issue and PSC's shoddy installation "instructions" made this project a lot harder than it had to be. Once all that was sorted, It works like it's supposed to. I'll be testing it in Moab this weekend.

During this install I also had to replace my clock spring. I'm not sure how it broke but I suspect it was when when I asked my wife to turn the steering wheel just a bit so I could reinstall the steering shaft. I still had the wheel strapped down at the time and I think the pressure on the wheel while being turned a little probably did it. Changing the clock spring is easy once you figure out how to get the air bag off. That was NOT easy. I was pulling the steering wheel anyway to replace the the cruise control so this wasn't that much extra work.

B124E306-7C19-44B9-992C-56C705A3FD7C_1_105_c.jpg

wjtstudios

Hooked
Great, glad you got it all to work out. I’ve never done the clock spring, and hope I never have too.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Ddays

Hooked
PSC said I have my cylinder mounted too far to driver. That's the reason the hoses were too long. I pointed out to them that none of their literature gives guidance on where to mount the cylinder. I like where I have it. It's almost in the center. It looks good there and it is closer to the gear box so less chance for hose binding. It also works perfectly.

View attachment 346500

Traditionally the tabs for the cylinder are welded to the track bar mount. Not saying that yours is wrong that way, but that's why your hoses were too long. Glad it's on and working for you. It is an expensive system but man it sure is sweet when you're in the rocks.

Top Bottom