PSC Ram assist 2014 JKU

Sorry three different intakes.

Ttfhell - Mopar Performance Intake
Eddie - Airraid Intake
Piginajeep - Factory Intake
EVOlander - Airraid Intake

Just go ahead and pencil my K&N in now as the 4th, probably won't be long with all the dust and crap I have around my place, lol.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Sorry three different intakes.

Ttfhell - Mopar Performance Intake
Eddie - Airraid Intake
Piginajeep - Factory Intake
EVOlander - Airraid Intake

Seems like four failures on four engines that may be utilized in a manner more extreme than the "standard" customer aka mall crawler. Can't make any blanket statements based on four data points but it doesn't seem reasonable to blame the filter when there is a factory filter rig that has a similar failure mode. Would seem even less likely to blame synthetic engine oil when most high performance engines recommend synthetic including Chrysler on their SRT engines.

Heholua

I find it interesting that Chrysler changed the oil weight specs from 5W-30 on the '12s to 5W-20 on the '13s and '14s for the same engine.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Back to the original topic. Scheduled to have one installed. Ordered mine with the cooler and am not installing the reservoir. Is the reservoir unnecessary on the 2012+ vehicles or are y'all having better experience with the reservoir and cooler?

SaddleTramp

Back to the original topic. Scheduled to have one installed. Ordered mine with the cooler and am not installing the reservoir. Is the reservoir unnecessary on the 2012+ vehicles or are y'all having better experience with the reservoir and cooler?

I'm currently running the stock res on a 2014 with a heat sink cooler (the one that PSC sells on their site) since I wanted to keep the stock air box. It's been working great but just in the last couple of weeks I started to get some whining from the pump since it's gotten hotter (100 deg here in Vegas) and only when going from high revs to low (coming off a highway off ramp and turning onto a connecting street). Talked to PSC and they said pump whine is usually an indication of cavitation from air still trapped in the system. Burped/bled it last night per PSC's instructions and it was better today so I burped it again tonight.

Regardless, I have a friend working to fab a way to use the PSC res in the stock location so hopefully that happens sooner than later just to get that much more volume in the system.

Off-road and on-road it works great, very happy with my setup.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Regardless, I have a friend working to fab a way to use the PSC res in the stock location so hopefully that happens sooner than later just to get that much more volume in the system.

If you end up fabbing up something nice there is a market to sell it. Let your friend know I'll pay...

MTG

Caught the Bug

Let me know when this is done and I'll come down for serial #00002. :thumb:

SaddleTramp

Well, I have had zero time so far to get anything done with this for my own JK but still hoping to get this same setup with the larger reservoir as soon as I can.

I have a friend (who has a friend, :)) and they were able to get the PSC reservoir to fit in the stock location on a 3.6 with some effort and massaging. Below is a picture showing how a corner of the PSC mount was cut loose and welded directly to the reservoir itself to fit and save space, the stock air box had to be trimmed and you can see in the picture that the billet lid/cap had to be milled to reduce its diameter to stay off of the air box lid. I was told the plumbing took some planning too.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1404113833.291667.jpg

Beyond having no time, one of the other reasons we've held off on this is my current setup with the stock res has worked pretty well. Only recently have I started to get some pump whine since the summer temps have been above 100F. It would only whine when accelerating from a stop through 2nd gear and when rapidly dropping from high revs to low (coming down a highway exit ramp and turning) but after finding a loose fitting and burping the system, this has been greatly reduced and not really noticeable anymore. We also lessened the uphill angle of the pump inlet line which helped as well.

I'm sure that the extra volume from the PSC res is always beneficial but one question that we've had is currently the feed line leaving from the stock res going to the pump makes an uphill u-turn under the air box before it enters the pump. I've wondered if this and the lessor volume can starve these pumps at lower revs? However, we've also questioned if the longer/taller PSC res in this location puts the pump feed line even lower than it is currently with the shorter stock res and would make the uphill turn into the pump worse?

I have seen some others too go to a dual battery tray and use the 2nd battery space to mount the res back there which would seem to give a more straight and downhill shot directly into the pump but also has it's own limitations.

Unrelated to the reservoir, I've also noticed my two hard lines going into the steering box have come loose a few separate times after wheeling and sweat fluid and have heard a few other members here with the same symptom.

Other than the slight pump whine recently, my setup has worked really well so far with the stock resi. but I would like to try and get the larger can in ASAP while still keeping the stock air box. Been stuck in a little "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mode but of course knowing how it usually goes, the pump will probably burn up on me on the way to work in the morning.

Last edited:

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
Well, I have had zero time so far to get anything done with this for my own JK but still hoping to get this same setup with the larger reservoir as soon as I can.

I have a friend (who has a friend, :)) and they were able to get the PSC reservoir to fit in the stock location on a 3.6 with some effort and massaging. Below is a picture showing how a corner of the PSC mount was cut loose and welded directly to the reservoir itself to fit and save space, the stock air box had to be trimmed and you can see in the picture that the billet lid/cap had to be milled to reduce its diameter to stay off of the air box lid. I was told the plumbing took some planning too.

View attachment 89914

Beyond having no time, one of the other reasons we've held off on this is my current setup with the stock res has worked pretty well. Only recently have I started to get some pump whine since the summer temps have been above 100F. It would only whine when accelerating from a stop through 2nd gear and when rapidly dropping from high revs to low (coming down a highway exit ramp and turning) but after finding a loose fitting and burping the system, this has been greatly reduced and not really noticeable anymore. We also lessened the uphill angle of the pump inlet line which helped as well.

I'm sure that the extra volume from the PSC res is always beneficial but one question that we've had is currently the feed line leaving from the stock res going to the pump makes an uphill u-turn under the air box before it enters the pump. I've wondered if this and the lessor volume can starve these pumps at lower revs? However, we've also questioned if the longer/taller PSC res in this location puts the pump feed line even lower than it is currently with the shorter stock res and would make the uphill turn into the pump worse?

I have seen some others too go to a dual battery tray and use the 2nd battery space to mount the res back there which would seem to give a more straight and downhill shot directly into the pump but also has it's own limitations.

Unrelated to the reservoir, I've also noticed my two hard lines going into the steering box have come loose a few separate times after wheeling and sweat fluid and have heard a few other members here with the same symptom.

Other than the slight pump whine recently, my setup has worked really well so far with the stock resi. but I would like to try and get the larger can in ASAP while still keeping the stock air box. Been stuck in a little "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mode but of course knowing how it usually goes, the pump will probably burn up on me on the way to work in the morning.

Very interesting......should be exciting to see how this plays out.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Damn, looks like PSC should be taking notes so that they can start making a 2012-up JK reservoir just like this. I for one would buy it!

Top Bottom