PSC Steering Assist 2013 and CAI system

dchew

Caught the Bug
Yeah it will come out no problem. I don't know anything about other CAI's, but this one mounts the filter with a big hose clamp. Plenty of clearance to change it out.

Now if my reservoir fittings leak I will have to remove the CAI to get to it, but that is a simple 2 minute exercise.

dchew

Caught the Bug
You're welcome! A few more comments about how it fits: I have the reservoir bottomed out in the bracket. That allows the fittings to clear the bottom of the CAI housing. The aFe comes with two rubber spacers for the bottom posts that fit into the two lower factory holes. Make sure you use those; not only do they make the CAI fit right but they provide the necessary clearance.

The hole needs to be drilled very close to the edge of the bracket. I thought I might grind just a little off the factory bracket to give a little more clearance there, but the bottom of the reservoir actually rests on an angled part of the frame. If I move the housing toward the passenger side any more it will begin rising up, which would cause the fittings to run into the CAI housing.

I might attach a small piece of sheet rubber to the frame where the reservoir is resting just in case it rattles. Also, doing what I plan in these pictures will result in only one mounting bolt for the reservoir instead of the two it is designed for. I don't expect that to be a problem. Even if the bracket breaks off on the trail that reservoir isn't going anywhere. It would rattle around but wouldn't drop and get tangled up.

One more thing. I posted earlier that using the factory reservoir might give you nuisance alarms if the level wasn't just right. Well duh, there is no level sensor for power steering. So as long as you check to make sure the level is not too high to overflow when turning right or too low to suck the reservoir dry when turning left you should be fine with the factory one.

I will post more pics once I get the hole drilled and hoses on. Might be a while though. Headed to Alaska for some r&r this week. :thumb:

Dave

dchew

Caught the Bug
Now to mounting the ram. Are there any disadvantages to mounting the ram up on top of the pitman arm like EVO did with Vengeance? I definitely like it mounted up there...

And a related question: I know the ram is not a steering stabilizer, but does it do some dampening if attached in the normal location on the tie rod? Would the results be any different vs. up above the pitman arm?

Dave

dchew

Caught the Bug
Here is it's final resting place. I had to slot the hole I drilled; it was too close to the edge of the bracket. I still think it is solid, but eventually I might take a hunk of aluminum and remake a bracket just like this one but a little wider in that dimension.

The feed line is above the pump intake, but it is close. When filling the reservoir it might be a good idea to hold it up temporarily to ensure the feed hose has no air bubbles trapped in there.

Dave

2013-02-04 12.24.26.jpg
2013-02-04 12.24.36.jpg
2013-02-04 12.25.21.jpg

Prime8

Now to mounting the ram. Are there any disadvantages to mounting the ram up on top of the pitman arm like EVO did with Vengeance? I definitely like it mounted up there...

And a related question: I know the ram is not a steering stabilizer, but does it do some dampening if attached in the normal location on the tie rod? Would the results be any different vs. up above the pitman arm?

Dave

I'd give EVO a call on that one, since they built it... There's a lot of money in that hydro, I'd hate for you to screw it up.

dchew

Caught the Bug
I'd give EVO a call on that one, since they built it... There's a lot of money in that hydro, I'd hate for you to screw it up.

Funny you say that! Today I was talking to Andrew about something else and we discussed this very thing. We wondered out loud if the factory drag link was beefy enough to handle it. I think I will put it where it is supposed to be. If I remember right Vengeance had a Prorock 44 with 60 outers, and much of the steering was aftermarket.

Prime8

Funny you say that! Today I was talking to Andrew about something else and we discussed this very thing. We wondered out loud if the factory drag link was beefy enough to handle it. I think I will put it where it is supposed to be. If I remember right Vengeance had a Prorock 44 with 60 outers, and much of the steering was aftermarket.

Probably a safer bet, considering much of Vengeance was pretty custom. What can I do to entice you to come to Illinois to give me a hand when I am ready to do mine...?

dchew

Caught the Bug
Actually we have 5 facilities near Ottawa; love to see Slimer some day! You should probably wait to solicit my help until we find out if Oso steers anywhere near the intended direction! :blush:

Prime8

Actually we have 5 facilities near Ottawa; love to see Slimer some day! You should probably wait to solicit my help until we find out if Oso steers anywhere near the intended direction! :blush:

Haha, that's true. Ottawa Canada?

dchew

Caught the Bug
We accomplished quite a bit today! Everything up to the ram is installed, including gearbox, new power steering pump, fittings and hoses.

A few notes:
The bolt kit associated with the power steering pump was quite confusing. No idea what all those bolts in the kit are for. They don't fit into the motor for mounting. The bracket that is supplied has larger holes than the factory bolts / holes / threads. And the bolts they supply are too big as well (diameter). so we reused the factory bolts. Keep in mind this is a 2013 - maybe something changed, I don't know. I will call PSC Monday to investigate. Since the factory bracket is thicker (aluminum) vs. the PSC bracket (cad plated steel), we had to cut down the factory bolts so they would not bottom out in the bore holes.

It is a bit hard to tell in the instructions, but I think when the reservoir was mounted next to the battery, you could keep the entire factory pressurized return line, and just add a longer hose to the barb on the return tubing. However, with the new reservoir mounted in the old factory position, that return tubing is too long, so we cut it and flared the end in an attempt to mimic the barb. We will see if it holds :fingerscrossed:

The feed line to the pump was simple, although we swapped the supplied 45 with a 90 degree fitting at the pump inlet to make the hose route a little better. You could make the supplied 45 work though if you had to.

Fittings at the gearbox went in no problem, although it sure is tight. Patience is a wonderful thing… Also the pump outlet line went right in.

So all in all it wasn’t too bad! Still have to figure out how to mount the ram.

Here are some photos:
New pump installed with our replacement 90, out of focus pressurized return line that ends up being too long:
IMG_0393.jpg

Cutting off the return tube a few inches above where it converts from hose:
IMG_0394.jpg

After cutting:
IMG_0395.jpg

Flaring the tube:
IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

Success (hopefully!):
IMG_0401.jpg

Return line connected into the new reservoir:
IMG_0402.jpg

Gearbox mounted and plumbed to the pump (ram connections have not been made yet):
IMG_0412.jpg

Close up of the pump from underneath:
IMG_0413.jpg

Looking up from the center out toward the passenger side at the pump feed (top hose in front), and the return line (top hose and tubing behind):
IMG_0415.jpg

Looking up from outside the passenger wheel well. The dirty black housing above is what holds the air intake:
IMG_0416.jpg

Another view from the same location, looking "southwest" at the pump connections
IMG_0418.jpg

Oh and some coil over bling :)
IMG_0407.jpg

Last edited:

jeffj

Caught the Bug
That is a bad ass jeep. I have a afe CAI ordered and I'm going to put psc on here in a couple weeks. After I ordered the CAI intake I have read a lot about water issues. If driven smart in water do you all feel like it is worth the risk to have my steering back.

dchew

Caught the Bug
I spent some time last night looking at the PSC bracket now that I have the EVO drag link relocation bracket mounted. It looks pretty straight forward. I am planning to cut off the whole bottom horizontal portion of the PSC bracket, then mount the vertical face right over (in front of) the EVO relocation bracket using the EVO hardware. Probably weld it to the face too.

When I ordered the PSC kits I just went on line without calling them. They only have the one 2012+ kit, but they do have a 2007-2011 kit specifically for aftermarket setups. That kit ditches the big bracket and provides tabs only that get welded on. If I had those tabs I would just weld them directly to the front face of the EVO relocation bracket. For those with a 2012+ debating about these kits from PSC, I would do one of two things:
1. Call PSC and ask them to give you a kit with the tabs only instead of the big mounting bracket. Weld the tabs onto the face of the EVO flip kit bracket.
2. When ordering the drag link flip kit from EVO, ask them to just add two tabs to the relocation bracket. Not sure if they could but worth a shot if you want to do this without welding.

I will post some photos this weekend after I get it mocked up and confirmed.

Dave

dchew

Caught the Bug
That is a bad ass jeep. I have a afe CAI ordered and I'm going to put psc on here in a couple weeks. After I ordered the CAI intake I have read a lot about water issues. If driven smart in water do you all feel like it is worth the risk to have my steering back.

Jeff,
I wouldn't worry too much about hydro issues unless you are planing a lot of water crossings. Probably want a snorkel anyway if you are doing that. I think the issue is a bit overstated for applications where it is mounted so high. A lot of these reports of problems are associated with small, low cars where the installation is 10 inches off the road. This of course is a completely unqualified internet opinion!

Dave

Prime8

Jeff,
I wouldn't worry too much about hydro issues unless you are planing a lot of water crossings. Probably want a snorkel anyway if you are doing that. I think the issue is a bit overstated for applications where it is mounted so high. A lot of these reports of problems are associated with small, low cars where the installation is 10 inches off the road. This of course is a completely unqualified internet opinion!

Dave

Those are the best kind of opinions! Anyways, sounds like you have it figured out. The bracket was the part I was most interested in figuring out. Thanks for the post and I look forward to pics of the finished product.

Vudoo1

I have a 2012 and I am wanting the PSC. Should I get it without the reservoir or get a CAI and run it. They told me at PSC that it might work fine without it. Is there a danger in running without your air box?

I have a 2012 running the PSC Motorsports 2012-2013 Jeep JK Extreme Duty Cylinder Assist Kit - PSC-SK270. I purchased the PSC Motorsports 2012-2013 Jeep JK High Volume Steering Pump Kit - PSC-PK1858 as well but run the system without the reservior due to having the AIRAID CAI. I've had it on since Nov/12 and have had no issues. I checked the fluid level and it appears to be fine. I believe the PSC reservior holds about a quart more fluid then the stock.

I was concerned but speaking with EVO and PSC, they both informed me that the system can be ran with the stock reservior without issue but to check the volume.

jeffj

Caught the Bug
Great thanks for all the input. I just pulled the trigger with the high volume kit. I will keep you all posted on how the install goes.

Top Bottom