PSE assisted steering or Home made?

huskerfan406

Are the gearboxes in the 2007 jeep like the older ones in say the YJ? Can they be tapped and make your own assisted steering or do you have to use a different steering gear box? Thanks for any help I can get!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you have the knowhow, you can take a factory box and do a redneck setup. I've yet to see any that have really worked or worked well but, I'd love to see someone do it. I run the PSC kit but only because I've yet to come across anything better.

If you do this, try to use a box that is a 2007-10 Delphi. The newer boxes are made in China and not as good. Also, please document what you do so that the rest of us can see what you did :yup:

gradymeister

I read a write up about this a couple months ago, I believe they did it for $300. Can't remember which forum it was, Google will take you there.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I'd rather just pay the extra money and have someone who knows what they're doing mess with my steering. I'm all for saving a buck, but when something as important as my steering, I'll just pay up.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I believe kyleolson drilled and tapped his own box.

No kidding, guess I'll have to give it a closer look the next time I see his Jeep. Contrary to what some seem to think, this is nothing new and I have seen a lot of setups over the years. Some look better than others but I've also seen where a lot have issues as well. Of course, that's not to say that my PSC hasn't had any issues :crazyeyes:

No kidding, guess I'll have to give it a closer look the next time I see his Jeep. Contrary to what some seem to think, this is nothing new and I have seen a lot of setups over the years. Some look better than others but I've also seen where a lot have issues as well. Of course, that's not to say that my PSC hasn't had any issues :crazyeyes:

Haha I agree! If the Fordyce trip next weekend happens I'll try to snap some photos and get more info on it. I'd love to drive it back to back and see the differences from mine as well.

SFNick

I bought a Trail-Gear 1.5 ram setup off eBay($250), & I drilled/tapped my Delphi box. Needless to say the box didn't last long at all & I was getting a crap ton of lag due to the stock pump. The PSC kit seems pricey but if you add up what you are getting with the kit it's well worth it in my opinion.

huskerfan406

Thanks for all the opinions I appreciate any help it's going to be my next mod! I drove a couple of older jeeps with the home made set up and a friend of mine said he can do the mod on my YJ for about $100 and his worked great on his YJ! I just hadn't seen any JK's done yet! Thanks again.

David1tontj

Thanks for all the opinions I appreciate any help it's going to be my next mod! I drove a couple of older jeeps with the home made set up and a friend of mine said he can do the mod on my YJ for about $100 and his worked great on his YJ! I just hadn't seen any JK's done yet! Thanks again.

West Texas off-road has a "redneck ram setup" You can mail them your box and have it tapped, or they can send you a rebuilt one that's already tapped. A couple guys up here have it and love it. It runs about half the cost of the psc.

Jandsjk has it.

metalic

A friend of mine has done a half dozen diy on jk's using psc ram. He told me it's about $300 in parts. I'm looking at doing assist but can't decide which way to go. What is to be expected with hydro assist at highway speed?

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
A friend of mine has done a half dozen diy on jk's using psc ram. He told me it's about $300 in parts. I'm looking at doing assist but can't decide which way to go. What is to be expected with hydro assist at highway speed?

I think the main issue with the diy route is crawling at low idle makes the steering a bit slow from what I have read, kind of annoying when your on the rocks.

Top Bottom