Question 2 door vs 4 door

aTX427

I have yet to wish I had less wheelbase. You can stretch the rear of a 2 door, but I think the front is a bit more difficult, so getting past 105" is going to be a challenge without substantial fabrication.

Tanktitan

A plus for the 2D is a better break over angle, but this is easily remedied by taller tires and mods. I have been on a couple 6000 mile trips in my JKUR, taking backroads and back county trails and I can assure you that if you plan on getting seriously off the grid, get the JKU. You will use all the space it offers. IMG_2985.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Judesign

Caught the Bug
I like my iconic 2 door. Just my wife, dog and I. Besides,. Mods cost more on a 4 door. Now, a 4 door when built up looks as sweet as a 2 door. Stock looks like a grocery getting tall station wagon!

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Curious as to what mods cost more for a 4 door? I've owned both and now drink the 4 door cool aid. Even though it's usually just my girl and me the storage space is worth it. As for wheeling I prefer the 4 for the longer wheel base.

4 door hands down. The difference in ride alone is worth it. Its not just the Highway ride that is better, it rides better everywhere. I loved my TJ and may get another one as a toy one day just for beating around in but I have yet to find anywhere that I could take it that my JKU won't go too. the wheel base off road makes it so much more capable that I don't use the locker like I thought I would.

ThatsJustBallz

While I'm currently in a 2 door, I'll be converting to 4 door as soon as it shows up at the dealer. Living in Topanga Canyon, CA the super navigable and compact 2 door was such an awesome ride (it's tight, twisty, and parking's nightmarish). When I moved back east, the need for extra transport room forced my hand a bit to the 4 door. I will be very interested to report back on the day to day living differences between them. If I had been able, I'd have wanted to keep the 2 door with the doors and top permanently off and keep the 4 door enclosed for utilitarian needs (or when it rains) ..... maybe someday :fingerscrossed:

Last edited:

ezav8tr

I enjoy driving my 2 door with the manual transmission. It just feels more sporty than my parents 4 dr. I own a Jeep for the fun of it. If you have kids or dogs, you would need a 4 dr though. I've added some storage solutions to be able to carry the camping gear and all the 'stuff' that my girlfriend brings along (she claims she needs it all). I just ordered this last night https://www.morris4x4center.com/rampage-rear-sport-rack-steel-86624.html The rear seats are easy to take in and out.

I would imagine the 2 dr is lighter, and I think 35" tires look good on them. To get the same look I feel you need 37" tires on 4 dr which increases the weight and then would require more modifications beefing up the drive train. It's nice having the better break over angle. I scrape the bottom less than a 4 dr with the same size tires and lift.

What really sold me was the test drive. The first time I test drove a 2dr with the manual transmission (4:10 gears), it put a big smile on my face that still hasn't left. I think the 4 dr is the best option for most, but I'm going to do my part to try to keep the traditional 2 dr alive.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

bill.turner

I have owned several jeeps over the last 40 years. Our 4 door Cherokee and JKU were both the most utilitarian. The one two door that challenges those vehicles would be an 04-06 unlimited. I find their lane and space to be excellent. They are quite a trail vehicle.

Vincent

2-dr. vs 4-dr.

I've owned a total of four JKs, two of each flavor, the 1st being a 2-dr and the current being the same.
If you really need the extra room then definitely go with the 4-dr. option, no questions asked...you'll thank yourself!
In my case, I always loved and missed the way the 2-dr felt on the road, the trail, the way it looked...everything really, and that's why I went back to one.
I don't have any dogs, or really need to haul anything substantial, the room is enough for me when taking a weeks worth of goodies for camping...
Ultimately, you have to make your own decision based on what needs you have and which one will better suit you!

Basscat

I have owned and wheeled CJ's, TJ's and a 2-Door JK. While I loved them all, there is no question in my book that there are very few instances where a short wheel base Jeep has an advantage over a 4-Door JK and in most cases, a 4-Door is far superior especially with slight modifications.

Owned and wheeled all of these plus LJ. Feel exactly the same way. JKU feels like a moon buggy that just eats everything up.

Journeyman

Hands down the four door! The extra wheel base along with extra storage has been priceless for me.
Wheelbase, wheelbase, wheelbase.
The only other thing I would consider if building just a wheelin rig would be a stretched LJ, but honestly I would probably just build a buggy at that point.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Ive had a CJ7, a 2 door JK,and now 2 4 doors. I can tell you that the majority of the time, I am driving by myself, and still appreciate the extra cargo room. In addition, it is more comfortable on long stretches of highway,as well as on rough city streets. In the desert doing higher speed stuff, the 4 door is way more stable than my 2 door was. I personally have yet to find an instance where I wish I had the 2 door still. Well,maybe except for looks.I love the way a 2 door looks on 35s or 37s lol. But then again,anything looks better on 37s!

Top Bottom