Question change hard top to soft top and back ?

WJCO

Meme King
Nope, on my YJ ( I know different beast) but I hated the zippers, I hated the fitment (again the JK fits nice) and the fear of a cracked window.

Brrr...........

I will say, we took the top off and rolled up the windows in one of those storage bags about 2 weeks ago in the high 30s. We got home just as it was getting dark and when we put the top back on, the windows were all crinkled and wavy. Took about a whole day in the sun for them to stretch out to normal.

Rancho

Caught the Bug
I will place this stolen meme right about here.

:bleh:

4wheelpartskansascity-1481232524017_zpshy9xduay.jpg

Draconianwinter

I think you both are nuts for selling your hardtops and only running soft tops.
NUTS I TELL YOU!!!

Hard top=winter
Soft top= summer

It has been that way since the dawn of Jeeps.

:bleh:[emoji481]
Hmmm keep in mind Eddie can't help it he does after all have pictures showing his jeep in the snow with the top down thus proving he froze his braincells lol jk

sent from your basement

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
View attachment 233765

Just wanted to put this out there. Since using our soft top in the high teens, we felt it was fine for winter use. I agree being in there, once the heater gets going, temp is comfortable. So we sold our hard top last week. It was 0 degrees Fahrenheit out this morning and my wife took the kids to school. She said it felt no different than any other day and kids were fine. She said once the heat is on, it feels just the same, and no regrets selling the hard top. Just an FYI from our perspective on running the soft top year round.

It's only 40 here, but I sold my last hardtop, and will sell this one, when I get the funds for a soft top. It may just be me, but that hard top seems to radiate cold, and the soft top is fine for winters in Mississippi. I can say for certain, every damned hard top I've had, leaks in long hard rains. Surprisingly, the soft tops I've run haven't,

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Dopey84

I sold my hardtop beginning of this past summer and loving my trektop nx it's currently 13 degrees out and snowing and honestly it's much warmer than the hardtop so far and way easier when you wanna naked jeep

Dopey

WJCO

Meme King
Bump for anyone considering this. Now that weather is getting nicer, neither my wife nor I had any regrets running the soft top all winter long even in temperatures below zero.

Rancho

Caught the Bug
I hope we get 2 feet of snow this weekend.

:bleh:

Bump for anyone considering this. Now that weather is getting nicer, neither my wife nor I had any regrets running the soft top all winter long even in temperatures below zero.

double_tapp31

Soft top?

I currently have a hard top and I am thinking of purchasing a soft top for summers because I live in Colorado. Problem is, from what I’ve seen, once you go to a soft top that’s almost it. The hardware doesn’t look like it’s meant to be taken off and put back on with those stick on foam pieces and whatnot. Is there anyone who lives in a colder climate who switched from a hard top to soft top permanently? Do you regret it at all in the winter? Any other input is welcome. Thanks.

WJCO

Meme King
I currently have a hard top and I am thinking of purchasing a soft top for summers because I live in Colorado. Problem is, from what I’ve seen, once you go to a soft top that’s almost it. The hardware doesn’t look like it’s meant to be taken off and put back on with those stick on foam pieces and whatnot. Is there anyone who lives in a colder climate who switched from a hard top to soft top permanently? Do you regret it at all in the winter? Any other input is welcome. Thanks.

Merged here.

fusion_jeff

The soft top is actually VERY easy to remove there are 2 mounting plates that bolt to the center roll bar and protrude a few inches thru the fabric roll bar cover. That is the only permanent addition and does not interfere with the hard top at all. The soft top connects to this bracket with 4 small torx screws. If you get a soft top cover (keeps things nice and tidy when running with the soft top down) it makes it much easier for a single person to install and remove the soft top assembly as one piece. I swap between my hard top and soft top regularly depending on weather and where I am going / what I am doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ddays

Hooked
I used to switch between the two but I''m done -soft top for me from now on. It's not because I don't like the hard top - it's that I love the soft top. I ordered from the factory with the hard top and added the soft top later so it kinda sucks that I paid for it & ended up with it gathering dust now. Other than being slightly louder, I have zero issues with it. Honestly, if you do decide to go back and forth between the two, as noted it's pretty simple and straightforward. The initial assembly of the hardtop is fairly easy although trying to stretch the top enough to latch in the front is fun. Don't try to do it on a cold cloudy day :crazyeyes:

Whitarmy

I like to switch between hard and soft tops depending on the weather as well. I got the Bestop NX Glide and it has quick disconnects on the roll cage brackets to make switching easier

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I think you both are nuts for selling your hardtops and only running soft tops.
NUTS I TELL YOU!!!

Hard top=winter
Soft top= summer

It has been that way since the dawn of Jeeps.

:bleh::beer:

Quoting from the past, but DAMN, you got it backwards... Hard top = SUMMER; soft top = WINTER. it's just so damn hot & humid here in the Texas armpit (IMO) but I have polish blood. :idontknow:

That said, The soft top is still on my jeep as I've been slacking... don't want to drip sweat just to swap the tops. :crazyeyes:

TrailHunter

Hooked
Is there a preferred soft top model - (OEM or Bestop) that is:

1. Quick to swap from hardtop
2. Quick access to rear cargo
3. Easy to fully open and store while on the trail (takes up minimal room)

Edit: Found this thread started by WJCO... it was helpful.

Choosing A Soft Top
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=39734

Last edited:
Top Bottom