Question change hard top to soft top and back ?

Kpalas

I live in North Texas and have the Trek Top NX and ran it all winter even in the snow with not issues. I like having the soft top so that I can turn it into a bikini top anytime I want. Down side is storage space in the back because of the fastback style of the Trek Top.

My hard top just sits in the garage on a cart.

Do it you will not regret it.

R/
Will

X2! I also live in north cal, switched out my hardtop for soft on my TJ that I ran for ten years. Now with my jk, I just put a Bestop Trektop NX on yesterday and am going to be selling my hardtop. Personally, I have never regretted it.

RedRum

I had a soft top on 2dr and got a hard top for the jkur ... In the northeast and for daily chores the hardtop was just the right choice for my ... Plus I hated the way the stock soft top bunched up so yea I would go trek nx if u get a soft top

toxicwaste29

I have a hardtop because my jeep jeep sits in a parking lot for long periods of time since I'm a college kid. I don't want someone to just unzip a window and get in

TheStick

I also live in NorCal and haven't used the hardtop since getting a soft top. I went with a used premium OEM top. It's great. I will also most likely be selling my hard top.

el_chupo_

How annoying is things like grocery shopping or loading luggage and what not with the soft top or Trektop?

The Jeep is our "big" vehicle, which will carry dogs somewhat regularly.

The TrekTop Pro really has my attention for the glass rear and slightly less angle for more room, but to me it almost defeats the purpose since it would not be easy to switch to topless if I wasnt at home or have a safe place to leave the glass...

chipper

How annoying is things like grocery shopping or loading luggage and what not with the soft top or Trektop?

The Jeep is our "big" vehicle, which will carry dogs somewhat regularly.

The TrekTop Pro really has my attention for the glass rear and slightly less angle for more room, but to me it almost defeats the purpose since it would not be easy to switch to topless if I wasnt at home or have a safe place to leave the glass...

I have the factory premium soft top. Love it here in Florida ,cause it rains all the time. Easy to put back up. Instead of having your top at home in a rain storm. It is a bit of a pain with the Rear window. We found some laundry baskets that slide in under the rear window that we take when grocery shopping. Load them up and slide them in. But opening the rear window really isn't that bad. I do it just enough to flop it up out of he way.
My biggest problem with the soft top is security. Gonna have to get a box for the rear or something.

Trunkmonkey

I enjoy my OEM soft top, taken many family vacations, hockey equipment and just a lot of things in the back of my JKU. I've learned to adapt to different situations, either open rear window fully and flip up or partial open and flip inward.

Torqt JK

How noisy is the NX while highway driving? I'm interested but the wife is concerned about sound. The hard top is relatively quite, is NX much worse?

BlueCopper

I've been wanting to sell off my hardtop and running a soft top ask year long but I'm in northern Illinois. Not sure how it would work out with the winters we have here.

How noisy is the NX while highway driving? I'm interested but the wife is concerned about sound. The hard top is relatively quite, is NX much worse?

It gets a little loud when passing cars or being passed on the highway but it's really not that bad. It is a lot quite then you would expect. I will be taking road trips with my soft top over my hard top if that says anything. And a great solution to the sound the top makes is to just turn on some music.

BlackHawk08jk

Hard top vs. Soft top

Hard top is cooler and warmer, and not nearly as noisy. Soft top easier to store, harder to break on the trail. It's also a lot more light weight, and versital. We had temps in the negatives here, and snow and I don't mind the soft top. I sold my hard and run it year round. It's all personal opinion and wants.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
powerfist.jpg

Just wanted to put this out there. Since using our soft top in the high teens, we felt it was fine for winter use. I agree being in there, once the heater gets going, temp is comfortable. So we sold our hard top last week. It was 0 degrees Fahrenheit out this morning and my wife took the kids to school. She said it felt no different than any other day and kids were fine. She said once the heat is on, it feels just the same, and no regrets selling the hard top. Just an FYI from our perspective on running the soft top year round.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
View attachment 233765

Just wanted to put this out there. Since using our soft top in the high teens, we felt it was fine for winter use. I agree being in there, once the heater gets going, temp is comfortable. So we sold our hard top last week. It was 0 degrees Fahrenheit out this morning and my wife took the kids to school. She said it felt no different than any other day and kids were fine. She said once the heat is on, it feels just the same, and no regrets selling the hard top. Just an FYI from our perspective on running the soft top year round.

:cheesy: I literally saw this thread and thought - WTF?? :crazyeyes:

Like you, we've sold every hard top that came with all our Jeeps and ONLY run soft tops. With the heat going, we've found our soft tops to do just fine even in 0°F. :yup:

Rancho

Caught the Bug
I think you both are nuts for selling your hardtops and only running soft tops.
NUTS I TELL YOU!!!

Hard top=winter
Soft top= summer

It has been that way since the dawn of Jeeps.

:bleh::beer:

WJCO

Meme King
NUTS I TELL YOU!!!

Hard top=winter
Soft top= summer

You do it first, then you can talk. Lol.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
NUTS I TELL YOU!!!

Hard top=winter
Soft top= summer

I dunno - it's always a good time to go topless :crazyeyes: :D

Rancho

Caught the Bug
Nope, on my YJ ( I know different beast) but I hated the zippers, I hated the fitment (again the JK fits nice) and the fear of a cracked window.

Brrr...........

You do it first, then you can talk. Lol.

Top Bottom