Quick toe alignment question

desertrunner

I think I see where the confusion is. The toe angle doesn't change with tire change, it can't. But yes the distance in front and in rear of the tires could slightly unless your toe angle is a perfect zero. Any toe in means imaginary lines aren't parallel, so measuring the distance between lines at different spots will yield different results. A 30 inch tire with 1/16" toe in compared to a 40" tire with no adjustment means the front of the 40 inch tires will be 5 inches further forward on the imaginary lines and slightly closer together compared to the 30s in the original location. Like the blue lines in the picture. Is that what you're trying to say?

View attachment 232543

That picture right there is EXACTLY what im trying to say with the fact that the bigger tires will be further down that imaginary line thus closer together so if you are measuring toe based on the outside of the tires like i was trying to do following Eddie's alignment write up, when you put bigger tires on there should be more toe in than the stock tires (probably by a very small amount).

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
If you've ever used a toe measuring tool, you'd know that it measures angles - NOT inches. Bigger/wider tires require the use of wheels with less backspacing but the angle that they need to be in will always be the same. Installing bigger tires CANNOT cause your toe to go out - it is impossible.

Also correct just so you know I'm not disagreeing with you. We all seem to be saying the same thing in different languages lol [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
I think I see where the confusion is. The toe angle doesn't change with tire change, it can't. But yes the distance in front and in rear of the tires could slightly unless your toe angle is a perfect zero. Any toe in means imaginary lines aren't parallel, so measuring the distance between lines at different spots will yield different results. A 30 inch tire with 1/16" toe in compared to a 40" tire with no adjustment means the front of the 40 inch tires will be 5 inches further forward on the imaginary lines and slightly closer together compared to the 30s in the original location. Like the blue lines in the picture. Is that what you're trying to say?

View attachment 232543

Thank you WJCO. I was having a hard time articulating this [emoji482]

desertrunner

Also correct just so you know I'm not disagreeing with you. We all seem to be saying the same thing in different languages lol [emoji23]

HAHA i feel like we are all just talking in circles now, so hopefully this will be my last question is toe measured in inches or in degrees??? because if toe is measured in inches then it would have to change with tire size. BUT if it is measured in degrees THEN i totally now understand why adding bigger tires CANNOT change toe..

desertrunner

If you've ever used a toe measuring tool, you'd know that it measures angles - NOT inches. Bigger/wider tires require the use of wheels with less backspacing but the angle that they need to be in will always be the same. Installing bigger tires CANNOT cause your toe to go out - it is impossible.

just re read this post!!! and now i totally get that it is measures an ANGLE NOT INCHES :doh:

as a ton of my instructor pilots would say after i do something dumb "learning has occurred" HAHA

Sorry Eddy for the heart ache I get it now! I had it stuck in my head that toe was measured in inches and now i understand why toe CANNOT change with adding only new tires.

im gonna go grab a :beer: now after that shit show

WJCO

Meme King
Again, the angle doesn't change. Using the diy alignment thread, I would start over with a helper and see where you are at. Try to stay near the middle of the tread if you can and not down low. If you had tow in before, then you shouldn't have toe out now. That makes no sense. And if you're that close, I wouldn't worry about too much tire wear.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It would be inaccurate to think about this so 2 dimensionally. Factory wheels have 6.25" of back spacing and they will clear a 32x10 wide wheel. A 35x12.50 wide tire requires you to run at most 4.5" of backspacing. In other words, your centerline will extend forward but it will also be pushed out due to the new back spacing. If you think of your toe in as a parallelogram, bigger tires would on the right size wheels would give you a BIGGER parallelogram. Checking toe with a tape measure is NOT science - it's just a best guess to determine that the front of your tires are pointing slightly in from the back. 1/16" toe in is just a way of gauging "slightly". Again, on a rear wheel drive vehicle, the fronts of your front wheels will pull outward and the idea is to make them run as parallel to each other as possible when this happens. This give you better tire wear.

desertrunner

Again, the angle doesn't change. Using the diy alignment thread, I would start over with a helper and see where you are at. Try to stay near the middle of the tread if you can and not down low. If you had tow in before, then you shouldn't have toe out now. That makes no sense. And if you're that close, I wouldn't worry about too much tire wear.

Yeah i am going to re measure later making sure i chalk out good references and then see what it is, i personally have never messed with the tie rod and its stock, but i bought the jeep used so i really have no idea if someone else had adjusted it before that was really my big concern with me getting a toe out measurement is maybe someone else adjusted it before and didnt do it right.

Top Bottom