Race Radios

MericaMade

I believe you save it with a channel #.. then you can switch back from channel or the station on the display... And with the pc software you can name it.... (just what I saw in my research)
Yeah you can name by frequency or channel name. The software Chirp allows you to program multi channels.

Sent from my SM-G781V using WAYALIFE mobile app

treys1

Alright, so if a person wanted a permanent mount without breaking the bank, what unit and antenna are people running?

TrailHunter

Hooked
Icom 2300 and Rugged Radio NMO mount for me.

Where did you mount yours (the unit and the antennae)? And what are your thoughts on the handhelds? Will the battery last all day? I like the mobility of the handheld and not having to mount another antennae... but also don't want to deal with batteries or charging wires constantly..

treys1

Where did you mount yours? And what are your thoughts on the handhelds? Will the battery last all day? I like the mobility of the handheld and not having to mount another antennae... but also don't want to deal with batteries or charging wires constantly..

I'm going down the same path right now comparing hard mount to handhelds. I have a spot that I could put another antenna, but also trying to see what needs to be done in regards to installation with grounding, etc. for these....

treys1

For those with the inexpensive handhelds like the 5w Baofeng UV-5R, is it good all by itself with the standard antenna to hear and be heard in a large convoy that may stretch out a mile or so? If it is I will probably go that route, if it is not I will be looking in to a fixed mount. I would rather spend the money that way than on a more pricey handheld.

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
A lot of people are. Little consequences for that though in today's world.
There are numerous import vhf radios that cover the race frequencies, GMRS, FRS, and HAM bands. Boafeng UV-5R can be had for under $30 on amazon. They are legal for use on the HAM bands for properly licensed amateur operators, but illegal on the others. You can weigh the risk, many people own them.
There is overlap in some of the GMRS and FRS frequencies and the two can talk to each other on certain channels. FRS is limited in output power, but sufficient for close range vehicle to vehicle comms. FRS handhelds are cheap and legal.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Does anyone actually enforce the licenses?

Sent from Lookout Mtn.

JT@623

Hooked
Just looked PCI has the Boafeng and will program them for free if you want . they do come with weatherman and other pre programmed channels . I know nothing about radios just wondering if these would be an option versus rugged cost wise ?

jdofmemi

For those with the inexpensive handhelds like the 5w Baofeng UV-5R, is it good all by itself with the standard antenna to hear and be heard in a large convoy that may stretch out a mile or so? If it is I will probably go that route, if it is not I will be looking in to a fixed mount. I would rather spend the money that way than on a more pricey handheld.

They are usually good enough for what you need on a trail, even with a pretty big group.
You can add a plug in antenna to help it out as well.

Where did you mount yours (the unit and the antennae)? And what are your thoughts on the handhelds? Will the battery last all day? I like the mobility of the handheld and not having to mount another antennae... but also don't want to deal with batteries or charging wires constantly..

The handheld usually will last the day, I went ahead and added the extended capacity battery, and it will usually make two days.

For the price, they are hard to beat

treys1

They are usually good enough for what you need on a trail, even with a pretty big group.
You can add a plug in antenna to help it out as well.

The handheld usually will last the day, I went ahead and added the extended capacity battery, and it will usually make two days.

For the price, they are hard to beat

Do you have the regular 5w or the 8w? This would be pretty easy for me as I have the Cobra 75 with the panel mount disconnect in the dash under the glovebox so I could completely unhook that and just hang the handheld off the CB mic holder (the one that mounts on the grab bar). The battery eliminator is only like $9 too so that would "eliminate" (lol) that issue...

CalSgt

Hooked

At KOH we communicated from our camp near Hammertown to halfway into Sledgehammer (or Jackhammer), I would guess two miles. We were using a combination of the Rugged and baofeng handhelds all programed to the same channel. We lost communication when the canyon got deep.

Also use them driving down there & on other trips, we can usually get ahold of anyone in line of sight on the highway. The guys in the middle of the pack end up relaying messages between the leader & caboose when we get spread out.

One guy in our group had a 25 watt race radio mounted in his SXS, he could transmit to us when he was just about anywhere in Johnson Valley but we didn't have the power to respond back with the handhelds.

treys1

At KOH we communicated from our camp near Hammertown to halfway into Sledgehammer (or Jackhammer), I would guess two miles. We were using a combination of the Rugged and baofeng handhelds all programed to the same channel. We lost communication when the canyon got deep.

Also use them driving down there & on other trips, we can usually get ahold of anyone in line of sight on the highway. The guys in the middle of the pack end up relaying messages between the leader & caboose when we get spread out.

One guy in our group had a 25 watt race radio mounted in his SXS, he could transmit to us when he was just about anywhere in Johnson Valley but we didn't have the power to respond back with the handhelds.

Great info, thanks! I think you just sealed it for me to go with the standard 5w Baofeng. For $22 Amazon Prime it seems I can't go wrong with that one. Hell, I can even pick up a few accessories and be under $50.

CalSgt

Hooked
Great info, thanks! I think you just sealed it for me to go with the standard 5w Baofeng. For $22 Amazon Prime it seems I can't go wrong with that one. Hell, I can even pick up a few accessories and be under $50.

The larger batteries are a great add on

MericaMade

The handhelds are good for when you're getting out and helping spot people but the range on them isn't all that great.

Hand held battery depends on how much your group talks but you could always bring the charger or a docking charge station mounting sheet for the pain pills

Jerry you still go mine right? LoL.

Here's a few pictures of how I have it mounted in my Jeep. The speaker is sitting right in front of my shifter. 20201202_195704.jpg 20201202_195724.jpg 20201202_195745.jpg

Brute

Hooked
Same! It continued this morning!

The worst part is I had everyone in my small wheeling group buy GMRS radios. They haven't even used them yet... They are gonna be pissed if I switch it up again...

I had looked into HAM licenses... But we have a few special folks in my group that are never going to be able to pass a test.

I used to write term papers in high school for $20...guaranteed B or better...not sure what the going rate is today for a ham license...

bhaner

I used to write term papers in high school for $20...guaranteed B or better...not sure what the going rate is today for a ham license...

LOL! With a few of our "Special" folks you could set your own price! There is no way they can retain enough info to pass on their own.

Top Bottom