Race Radios

bmkrinne

Great info, thanks! I think you just sealed it for me to go with the standard 5w Baofeng. For $22 Amazon Prime it seems I can't go wrong with that one. Hell, I can even pick up a few accessories and be under $50.

I bought the red Baofeng UV5R5 last month and have used it all day long on 3 day trips. At the end of the day it’s still showing full charge. Amazing cheap little radio. I hand programmed all the GMRS and Rugged radio frequencies instead of buying the software. Cool little radio for the money!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

treys1

I bought the red Baofeng UV5R5 last month and have used it all day long on 3 day trips. At the end of the day it’s still showing full charge. Amazing cheap little radio. I hand programmed all the GMRS and Rugged radio frequencies instead of buying the software. Cool little radio for the money!

Awesome, glad to hear it. I actually grabbed 2 so I would have a set of walkies. I have tried multiple sets of way more expensive FRS / GMRS handhelds that all sucked (including the big name ones like Motorola). I picked up a pair of well reviewed 7.5" whips as well.

Colorado4x4

That's right. If I can do it, "anybody can do it". Opens up a whole world of possibilities.

I think a guy can just do the practice tests a bunch until you start getting a consistent passing grade and then go pass the test. Just have to memorize [emoji23]. Colorado has a pretty good linked repeater system that covers most of the state. I’m sure a lot of other states have it too. New Mexico’s Megalink system is incredible! Last weekend me and two other guys went to Moab but all left Denver at different times and we chatted on the Colorado Connection linked repeater system for most of the way. It’s so cool!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrailHunter

Hooked

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
I used to write term papers in high school for $20...guaranteed B or better...not sure what the going rate is today for a ham license...

I used to offer my friends $50 in college a handful of years ago to write my papers and no one would take me up on it.

bhaner

Got a little radio in the mail yesterday!

Just playing with the programming software now.

Need to figure out the names for the two frequencies Eddie posted. Someone said they were EVO but not sure.

IMG_0111.jpg

treys1

Got a little radio in the mail yesterday!

Just playing with the programming software now.

Need to figure out the names for the two frequencies Eddie posted. Someone said they were EVO but not sure.

View attachment 356655

When you are programming with Chirp, you can make the names anything you want. I just set mine up over the weekend as well and named the 3 in the 2021 Kick Off Run thread "Weather", "EVO1" and "EVO2". Also I just saved off the stock config, then blew everything away and then added those 3 plus 2 GMRS channels and saved that file as well so I could flash it to both of the radios I got.

The only thing I changed in the settings was that I made Bank A display the Name that I programmed and left Bank B as the Freq. That way I can find it either way.

bhaner

Got some channels programmed into the new radio...

I added a few of the local 2 meter repeaters.

One thing I did notice is that when my Jeep is running I get all kinds of static. Not normal spark noise like you would on a CB without a noise blocker... But just loud static. So much that I can't turn the squelch up enough to keep it quiet.

Anyone else have this issue? Maybe it is just what you get with a $30 mobile...

I had no issues with my CB or GMRS radios.

Last edited:

TrailHunter

Hooked

One thing I did notice is that when my Jeep is running I get all kinds of static. Not normal spark noise like you would on a CB without a noise blocker... But just loud static. So much that I can't turn the squelch up enough to keep it quiet.

I had my handheld in my work truck last week and on while driving... no static. I’ll try in the Jeep tonight.

MericaMade

What radio? Check ground and make sure the antenna is not looped or coiled on itself.

Top Bottom