Radiator Replacement OEM or Aftermarket

Hammmerhead

Best all aluminum Radiator for JK?

Drivers side tank is leaking on my '15. 17K miles. I have no confidence with my local dealer, and quite frankly, I would rather replace it with an all alum. that I don't have to worry with again.

Don't want another plastic tanker. You guys know what brand to look for or to stay away from?

Thanks

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Drivers side tank is leaking on my '15. I have no confidence with my local dealer, and quite frankly, I would rather replace it with an all alum. that I don't have to worry with again.

Don't want another plastic tanker. You guys know what brand to look for or to stay away from?

Thanks

Merged thread here, fyi.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Drivers side tank is leaking on my '15. I have no confidence with my local dealer, and quite frankly, I would rather replace it with an all alum. that I don't have to worry with again.

Thanks
I don't blame you there. My local dealer fucking blows. You can check Quadretec. I just replaced mine with a factory plastic replacement myself.

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Hammmerhead

I don't blame you there. My local dealer fucking blows. You can check Quadretec. I just replaced mine with a factory plastic replacement myself.

Well damn. I figured an all alum would be better, but for some reason the plastic tank OEM trumps the all alum. Mishi?

Since I just get a few drips on the floor over night after turning it off, maybe I will just try a round of stop leak. I just had the smell for a long time, now I have a few drips, so worse maybe coming, but maybe not.

Update:

Well now I see why Mishi's are iffy.

https://www.quadratec.com/node/28111/reviews

Last edited:

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Well damn. I figured an all alum would be better, but for some reason the plastic tank OEM trumps the all alum. Mishi?

Since I just get a few drips on the floor over night after turning it off, maybe I will just try a round of stop leak. I just had the smell for a long time, now I have a few drips, so worse maybe coming, but maybe not. My original plastic radiator lasted 120,000.

Update:

Well now I see why Mishi's are iffy.

https://www.quadratec.com/node/28111/reviews
I heard those mis. . Have some minor problems. If I were you I would just replace sooner than later for piece of mind. I found a link I used on YouTube that helped. Really easy and cheap to do. I myself had never really any luck with those leak products. My original plastic one lasted 120,000.

Last edited:

Rocralr

Hello All. I just replaced mine with the mishimoto performance aluminum radiator. I am very happy with the setup. Just my 2 cents, which is all I have left. Ha Ha!!

Hammmerhead

I did the tube of stop leak and the smell went away. Of course I likely just offset the issue, but time will tell and at least I don't have to worry about the dealer botching anything.

kawimoto

oem seems to be the going answer, like others have said most get 80-100k miles out of them so cant really argue with that

area13

Mishimoto Radiator

I apologize in advanced if this is not the correct area for this posting.
I should have posted this up sooner rather than later to warn people regarding the mishimoto radiator for Jeep JK's.
I wanted to upgrade my radiator to my 2007 jeep JK unlimited because after a radiator flush I had a pin hole leak.
Flushed the radiator fluid out and bought Mopar's expensive radiator fluid from the dealership. I think 3 gallons ran around 45 bucks or more.
I purchased a Mishimoto radiator and installed it. After about 3 weeks I noticed I was leaking fluid and it was not coming from the hoses. (had to fill radiator with close to another gallon (15 bucks)

I had also ordered the Mishimoto hoses and they sent me replacement hoses thinking that could have been the issue. So I replaced them (Again more radiator fluid) (Another 30 bucks). Wasn't the hoses.

I contacted Mishimoto and they sent me a replacement radiator after I sent them some pictures of it leaking. They said I may not have flushed it out all the way and something could have punctured it. Bought new radiator fluid (another 45 bucks) and flushed the radiator fluid out and bought Mopar's expensive radiator fluid from the dealership. Oh, and this radiator didn't have the holes tapped for the bolts!!! Thankfully I had a tap set and tapped the holes.
I installed the 2nd radiator and about a month or 5 weeks later it started leaking again. (Again, more money to keep replacing the fluid until matter was resolved)
I called tech support again and the one customer service person I spoke to said they had an issue with the Jeep JK radiator's due to the flex in the jeep's chasis. (this was good to hear) and I was only driving on pavement not off-road. When I spoke to a tech, he never heard about the flex issue. but after some bitching and the money I have put of for radiator fluid, the tech contacted the reseller,and the reseller refunded my money. I bought a mopar radiator and installed it and it's been about 10 months now (maybe longer) and no issues (Knock on wood!) plus another round of radiator fluid!

So just be careful regarding some of those aftermarket upgrades - sometimes they will end up costing you more!

WJCO

Meme King
I apologize in advanced if this is not the correct area for this posting.
I should have posted this up sooner rather than later to warn people regarding the mishimoto radiator for Jeep JK's.
I wanted to upgrade my radiator to my 2007 jeep JK unlimited because after a radiator flush I had a pin hole leak.
Flushed the radiator fluid out and bought Mopar's expensive radiator fluid from the dealership. I think 3 gallons ran around 45 bucks or more.
I purchased a Mishimoto radiator and installed it. After about 3 weeks I noticed I was leaking fluid and it was not coming from the hoses. (had to fill radiator with close to another gallon (15 bucks)

I had also ordered the Mishimoto hoses and they sent me replacement hoses thinking that could have been the issue. So I replaced them (Again more radiator fluid) (Another 30 bucks). Wasn't the hoses.

I contacted Mishimoto and they sent me a replacement radiator after I sent them some pictures of it leaking. They said I may not have flushed it out all the way and something could have punctured it. Bought new radiator fluid (another 45 bucks) and flushed the radiator fluid out and bought Mopar's expensive radiator fluid from the dealership. Oh, and this radiator didn't have the holes tapped for the bolts!!! Thankfully I had a tap set and tapped the holes.
I installed the 2nd radiator and about a month or 5 weeks later it started leaking again. (Again, more money to keep replacing the fluid until matter was resolved)
I called tech support again and the one customer service person I spoke to said they had an issue with the Jeep JK radiator's due to the flex in the jeep's chasis. (this was good to hear) and I was only driving on pavement not off-road. When I spoke to a tech, he never heard about the flex issue. but after some bitching and the money I have put of for radiator fluid, the tech contacted the reseller,and the reseller refunded my money. I bought a mopar radiator and installed it and it's been about 10 months now (maybe longer) and no issues (Knock on wood!) plus another round of radiator fluid!

So just be careful regarding some of those aftermarket upgrades - sometimes they will end up costing you more!

I moved your post here. This thread has more of an OEM or AFTERMARKET radiator comparison discussion.

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
I've always had good luck with Superior Radiators. Affordable aftermarket and I've always had good customer support not that I've needed to use it a whole bunch. Smaller company but hey I appreciate their hands on with the product.

Sent from my Life One X2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Gbint

problem with JB weld for radiators is it needs to sit for a minimum of 24 hours - no idea if the cold weather slows the curing process

JB kwick weld is awesome. Even used it to repair thermostat housing. On the road in 20 minutes. Always some in my trail tool box.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

bhaner

My 2016 with 34k is starting to leak down the passenger side of the radiator. Where it clamps to the plastic side tank.

OEM still the best solution?

Can't believe they are the way to go when it only made it this long...

Jkratt

I look at it this way. How long did the OEM last while you had it. 2009 to 2019, 10 years. I am okay with OEM.

wjtstudios

Hooked
My 2016 with 34k is starting to leak down the passenger side of the radiator. Where it clamps to the plastic side tank.

OEM still the best solution?

Can't believe they are the way to go when it only made it this long...

Mine did exactly the same thing, twice. But at $300 it’s cheap compared to the aluminum units that have failed just as quickly from what I’ve seen.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Ddays

Hooked
I'm also on my third. I did go with one from Quadratec the second time but it lasted 9 months before it started leaking. Went back to OEM on the third one. Been told that the aluminum ones will eventually leak as well because of all the flex that occurs when twisting up off road. Makes sense but I have no proof to back that up. Could also be why the factory ones fail so frequently. :idontknow:

Top Bottom