Random (non-Jeep) Shit You’re Working On....

Primo82

Caught the Bug
I typically buy firewood. Everyone here sells 'seasoned' firewood that isn't, so I try to buy for 2 years ahead. and just let it sit under a tarp. It was still way cheaper than heating with electric (which we got natural gas last winter and upgraded the heater this winter so in a little better spot here).

If anyone is looking for a wood stove or NG look alike wood stove I HIGHLY recommend Hearthstone soapstone stoves. They don't radiate heat at as high a temp as cast or stainless stoves so they won't cook you out of the room. They hold heat forever. I can kill the stove and have enough coals 24-36 hrs later to build it back up. My stove has lasted 10 years with no major issues. I love sitting out by it on a cold day!

I typically buy firewood. Everyone here sells 'seasoned' firewood that isn't, so I try to buy for 2 years ahead. and just let it sit under a tarp. It was still way cheaper than heating with electric (which we got natural gas last winter and upgraded the heater this winter so in a little better spot here).

If anyone is looking for a wood stove or NG look alike wood stove I HIGHLY recommend Hearthstone soapstone stoves. They don't radiate heat at as high a temp as cast or stainless stoves so they won't cook you out of the room. They hold heat forever. I can kill the stove and have enough coals 24-36 hrs later to build it back up. My stove has lasted 10 years with no major issues. I love sitting out by it on a cold day!

My last house we had a Hearthstone installed. And you are spot on. It would hold heat all night long and easily warmed our entire house.
We had the big dog Clydesdale.
IMG_7306.JPG .

Looking at installing a small free standing Hearthstone stove in our current home. [emoji106]

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Yeah I know. I think so many people get screwed over when they get it delivered and dumped. Some kinds of throw it in the pickup and nicely stack the very top part of it. So you're not even getting much you of a court at all. Yeah this guy delivered it on a trailer and it was actually stacked. I'll definitely use him again.

1cord is 4'x4'x8'...haha

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
Yeah I know. I think so many people get screwed over when they get it delivered and dumped. Some kinds of throw it in the pickup and nicely stack the very top part of it. So you're not even getting much you of a court at all. Yeah this guy delivered it on a trailer and it was actually stacked. I'll definitely use him again.
Years ago I had wood delivered. I built a 3 sided wood box 4x4x8 to stack it in just to ensure it was a true cord. It was actually a bit over. I only ever buy 2 wheel barrows at a time now just for our backyard fire pit.

This house has a built in gas fireplace. Flip of a switch and viola fire..haha. Image%20(25).jpg

WJCO

Meme King
I've had homes with gas and wood fireplaces. Pros and cons to each of course. I'm getting ready to build a more custom home office and I think I'm going to add a fireplace. I've always wanted one in my office. I may even just go with an electric to keep it simple but good-looking. For years, I've been wanting to do a project with that faux stone too.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Years ago I had wood delivered. I built a 3 sided wood box 4x4x8 to stack it in just to ensure it was a true cord. It was actually a bit over. I only ever buy 2 wheel barrows at a time now just for our backyard fire pit.

This house has a built in gas fireplace. Flip of a switch and viola fire..haha. View attachment 357013

Very nice. I've had wood, electric, propane, and vented and vent free. My favorite is wood, but the vent free models are awesome.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I've had homes with gas and wood fireplaces. Pros and cons to each of course. I'm getting ready to build a more custom home office and I think I'm going to add a fireplace. I've always wanted one in my office. I may even just go with an electric to keep it simple but good-looking. For years, I've been wanting to do a project with that faux stone too.

The stone I used was a slate veneer 6x12. There are some faux stone veneer you can cut with a hand saw that look realistic.

WJCO

Meme King
The stone I used was a slate veneer 6x12. There are some faux stone veneer you can cut with a hand saw that look realistic.

I didn't realize you did that too. Looks great. Is that the same stuff you install with mortar and chicken wire? How many hours do you think you have in the stone work? Mine will be about that size.

JKbrick

A buddy of mine took out his gas logs and got this tray looking thing that he puts a liquid in and depending how long you want a fire is how much liquid you put in. I assume it puts off some heat

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I didn't realize you did that too. Looks great. Is that the same stuff you install with mortar and chicken wire? How many hours do you think you have in the stone work? Mine will be about that size.
Oh fuck no! Life's too short. Use Hardie backer with their screws. Way easier, lighter, and cleaner that durrock or permabase. Powder mortar dries quicker. If you use premix I let it sit for half a day or next and go in stages. A few rows at a time. Great thing is the stone is dry stack look....no grout. I had a commercial wet tile saw an ex-buddy fucked up I used. Go to harbor freight and get their cheap ass wet saw with a cupin. It's a weekend project at the most. The big box stores have it. Half price opposed to a tile store for same shit. I did nothing to my slate. You can seal it to enhance the color.
IMG_20201225_135217224.jpg

Sent from my moto g(7) power using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Oh fuck no! Life's too short. Use Hardie backer with their screws. Way easier, lighter, and cleaner that durrock or permabase. Powder mortar dries quicker. If you use premix I let it sit for half a day or next and go in stages. A few rows at a time. Great thing is the stone is dry stack look....no grout. I had a commercial wet tile saw an ex-buddy fucked up I used. Go to harbor freight and get their cheap ass wet saw with a cupin. It's a weekend project at the most. The big box stores have it. Half price opposed to a tile store for same shit. I did nothing to my slate. You can seal it to enhance the color.
View attachment 357015

I like the no grout look. So did you use any mortar or just screws? Got a link? And does this stuff have corner pieces? I plan on bringing it out from the wall about a foot.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I like the no grout look. So did you use any mortar or just screws? Got a link? And does this stuff have corner pieces? I plan on bringing it out from the wall about a foot.

Screws for the backer and mortar for the slate. I got at lowes. I will post the mortar. There two different ones. Use the one I post. It's made for larger stone. Also no corners, but I cut my own it was a pain in the ass. I did that in my log cabin. We installed a vent free gas. And built everything ourselves. I'll get a pic of that too

WJCO

Meme King
Got it. Thanks. I was planning on using the backer board. So that mesh tape....did you use it behind every stone or just on the board seams? And the mortar as an adhesive...how long for it to dry before moving on to another row?

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Got it. Thanks. I was planning on using the backer board. So that mesh tape....did you use it behind every stone or just on the board seams? And the mortar as an adhesive...how long for it to dry before moving on to another row?
Use the tile tape on seams. Go maybe 3 to 4 rows and give it time to set time up. Also get a wet spomge and ring it out then wipe down the back of the stone to get some dust off before installing. It will help it adhere better. The stone is like a puzzle.

Top Bottom