Ready to buy first Jeep

SteveS

I am ready to buy my Jeep but I was wondering what your opinions are. Would you recommend buying new to get all of the warranty and everything else that comes with new, or slightly used. There does not seem to be too much of a difference in price , or go for a JK that appears to be in good shape?

CalSgt

Hooked
Welcome to the forum,

I'll answer your question with a question, what do you want to get out of it honestly?

Daily driver?
Offroad machine?
Hotrod?
How many passengers?
Maintenance free mostly?
A project?
Some off-road but 99% pavement?
Rock crawler?
Trophy truck?
Overland? (AKA car camping and exploring new places)
Mall crawler (no off-roading but has the look)?
Grocery getter?
New hobby?

These are just some of the questions you should ask yourself before you commit to getting a jeep (or any new car). You're the one paying the bill and a Jeep can fit many different categories at the same time, but to give decent advice to a stranger some more information is needed.

Upvote 0

SteveS

I have moved to Nevada, plan on dirt roads to take me into mountains for backcountry hikes and exploration fishing and geologic exploration. Planning on 2 door with back seat removed for dog and gear. Prefer less maintenance but not really planning on rock crawling. I currently have a f150 2-wheel drive which is way too long and I have managed to get myself into places that were not meant for a work truck.
it will also take me into local mountains for ski seasons. I am not getting rid of the truck so the keep is more for getting out.

Upvote 0

TonyT

Caught the Bug
I would suggest a 4door over the 2door. I love the look of the 2 door, but drivability and interior space of the 4door always comes in handy. You mentioned back country hiking, camping, skiing. It's nice to throw the stuff inside out of the elements and even sleep in the back if needed. It will also drive more predictably in snow and loose gravel.

My vote is for new. The odds of finding the ideal wrangler equipped the way you want, well maintained, and reasonably priced are against you with a used one. At least if you get new, you know what you have. If you do go used, I'd suggest looking for one that doesn't have aftermarket items on it. Until you're familiar with the brands and equipment out there you're not going to know the difference between a quality lift, or something done on the cheap to get the look they're after.

Upvote 0

CalSgt

Hooked
A low milage, stockish JLR would be a great start, they (Rubicon models) come stock with a larger tire, heavier axles, locking differentials, and a lower low range in the transfer case. A stock rubicon is capable of more than most people are willing to attempt.

I haven't shopped prices recently but if used isn't a good savings from new I'd just buy new...

The extra wheelbase of the unlimited (Four door) models is helpful on the ice and snow, also the extra wheelbase is a bit more stable at higher speeds in rough desert terrain.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum,

I'll answer your question with a question, what do you want to get out of it honestly?

Daily driver?
Offroad machine?
Hotrod?
How many passengers?
Maintenance free mostly?
A project?
Some off-road but 99% pavement?
Rock crawler?
Trophy truck?
Overland? (AKA car camping and exploring new places)
Mall crawler (no off-roading but has the look)?
Grocery getter?
New hobby?

These are just some of the questions you should ask yourself before you commit to getting a jeep (or any new car). You're the one paying the bill and a Jeep can fit many different categories at the same time, but to give decent advice to a stranger some more information is needed.
This^

A Jeep can be anything you want it to be no matter which model you go for. After you find exactly what it is you'll use it for, you really just have to weigh in only a few differences between the two. The price, the JL rides a whole lot nicer from factory, it has much beefier components, a new 8 speed auto and 6 speed manual trans, a couple more engine options, and obviously a warranty from the factory over a used JK. In reality, the JL just improved apon the JK all around so at this point 5 years into the JL generation it'd be a no brainer to pick up a new JL. However that doesn't mean a JK can hold its own, it's still a solid vehicle. Just less tech and as I already mentioned a lesser price.

From what you said you plan on doing with it, either generation is a solid choice. Figure out what creature comforts or power train options you'd like then first.

Upvote 0

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think the advice give so far is spot on. For how you intend to use your Jeep and assuming you won't or don't need to build it up, a Rubicon is what I would get if you can afford it, new if only because good deals on used is hard to come by and I would really consider a 4-door as well as the extra room, even if it's just you and your dog, is well worth having.

Upvote 0

kevman65

Hooked
Not just Jeeps, not just vehicles, buy what you can afford. NEVER go in over your head just because you WANT something.

Right now, things are still upside down and backwards in a lot of places. Buying new is the better value at the moment.

Upvote 0

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe a used extreme recon is the way to go. Other than that I would probably go new. JK’s with 100k miles are still $30k.
That would be a great setup and ready to go, just as is. I've looked in the past and they're kinda hard to come by used though.

Upvote 0

duktrx

I would lean toward new; Jeeps historically hold their value, so very little, if any, immediate depreciation.

A four-door will still get you through tight trails, and the handling of a four-door is better in winter. Your dog's safety is better in a four-door, the dog gets the entire back seat area and gear safely stowed in the back.

If you can swing a Rubicon, get one; I would skip the Sahara, I just don't see the value.

Upvote 0

SteveS

I think the advice give so far is spot on. For how you intend to use your Jeep and assuming you won't or don't need to build it up, a Rubicon is what I would get if you can afford it, new if only because good deals on used is hard to come by and I would really consider a 4-door as well as the extra room, even if it's just you and your dog, is well worth having.
I have been reading all the comment about the four door, but my wife loves the two door. I have found a dealer that is offering 2000 below msrp and have a Rubicon in the color that my wife likes the best. We are heading down on Friday to take a look and probably put in an offer.
im pretty sure the first “mod“ will be removing the back seat.

Upvote 0

jpkjeep

Caught the Bug
My advice is a JL Rubicon in it's simpilest engine form. In my opinion that would be a 3.6 V6 with no etorque mild hybrid junk. Or obviously the 392 if it's in your budget.

I know many like their 2.0. I would personally not want a small forced induction Fiat engine. My drifting and time trials days also taught me that forced induction when pushed to its limits will never be as reliable as its naturally aspirated counterparts.

I also wouldn't touch the diesel for the aforementioned reasoning, along with the expensive and complex emissions systems.

Upvote 0

TonyT

Caught the Bug
I have been reading all the comment about the four door, but my wife loves the two door. I have found a dealer that is offering 2000 below msrp and have a Rubicon in the color that my wife likes the best. We are heading down on Friday to take a look and probably put in an offer.
I know exactly how that situation ends. haha
20yrs ago my wife and I went to go look at Mustangs. She immediately fell in love with an Orange Mustang GT w/ 5sp manual.. I tried desperately to get her to drive the Cobra (also known as the "Terminator",) but she wouldn't even turn the key and start it. As soon as she sat in the Cobra she complained that the seats were uncomfortable and got right back out and went over to the GT.

Upvote 0
The 2 door is wonderfully maneuverable and fun to drive. Not so good at carrying a bunch of "stuff". The rear seat is nice but requires an athlete to get into it. The rear seat can easily be removed and stored somewhere (permanently).

I have the 2.0 L E-Torque engine, and no actual issues with it after 3-1/2 years. 24MPG claimed mileage on this most recent long trip.

Regardless, most people get the 4 door these days.

Upvote 0

CalSgt

Hooked
Best to keep the boss happy...

What dealership are you going to?

Upvote 0

SteveS

I am now a wrangler owner. I bought a 2023 Rubicon. Made the purchase at Elk Groove Jeep in California and drove it through the mountains over to Nevada. Tomorrow its walk in day at DMV, then it will be time to hit the trails. My wife is happy because we got the two door and the color she wanted (Earl Clear Coat). I was happy because I’m just that way ;-). Now its time to explore what Nevada has in store for us.
Thanks to you all for your comments, I look forward to seeing you all on the trails.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom