Rear axle assembly, the order of things?

USMC Wrangler

So the rear Ten Factory shafts do not come preassembled, but they do come with all new parts.

IMG_8409.jpg

A buddy of mine has a shop press, so we are going to get that done the first part of next week. I will not have my OE shafts out to refer to so I’ve been hunting the inter webs with very little luck.

Here’s how we plan to setup the press.

IMG_8414.jpg

And here’s a shot that I saved and put my own labels on for reference. Does this look correct?

IMG_8415.jpg

I know which way the seal needs to face as well as the bearing itself. Does anyone know if the tone ring has a correct arrangement or does it not matter? I only looked the parts over for a second this morning.

WJCO

Meme King
Check with bubba in regards to the tone ring. From your pics it looks like the tone ring and seal are one piece which doesn't make sense. The tone ring location in regards to the teeth doesn't matter at all, the teeth are spaced symmetrically, but it has to be a tight press fit,it has to spin with the axle.

When you do this, you'll know when it's set up good as the press will bottom out and you'll hear it and feel it.

USMC Wrangler

Is that the one you pulled off.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Naw, found on the internet.

Check with bubba in regards to the tone ring. From your pics it looks like the tone ring and seal are one piece which doesn't make sense. The tone ring location in regards to the teeth doesn't matter at all, the teeth are spaced symmetrically, but it has to be a tight press fit,it has to spin with the axle.

When you do this, you'll know when it's set up good as the press will bottom out and you'll hear it and feel it.

Thanks. I’ll hit him up if he doesn’t respond here first.

Exodus 4x4

Naw, found on the internet.

Thanks. I’ll hit him up if he doesn’t respond here first.

Shit, I don’t know what’s going on with tone ring. I’ve actually never installed Ten Factory. Revolution comes built and when we rebuild shafts at the shop we just replace the bearing, seal, and retainer. WJCO is right though, the tone ring goes outside of the flange. If I can remember to look at one at the shop in the morning I’ll call you and let you know.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
So the rear Ten Factory shafts do not come preassembled, but they do come with all new parts.

View attachment 334165

A buddy of mine has a shop press, so we are going to get that done the first part of next week. I will not have my OE shafts out to refer to so I’ve been hunting the inter webs with very little luck.

Here’s how we plan to setup the press.

View attachment 334164

And here’s a shot that I saved and put my own labels on for reference. Does this look correct?

View attachment 334166

I know which way the seal needs to face as well as the bearing itself. Does anyone know if the tone ring has a correct arrangement or does it not matter? I only looked the parts over for a second this morning.

The order is definitely correct. Not sure if the ten factory tone rings are symmetrical but the factory ones are not. The side with the recess goes towards the flange. Do you have a pic of the tone rings they provided you? I could also give you the distance the tone ring needs to be from the flange if that helps.

USMC Wrangler

Shit, I don’t know what’s going on with tone ring. I’ve actually never installed Ten Factory. Revolution comes built and when we rebuild shafts at the shop we just replace the bearing, seal, and retainer. WJCO is right though, the tone ring goes outside of the flange. If I can remember to look at one at the shop in the morning I’ll call you and let you know.

Ok. Sounds good. Thanks!

The order is definitely correct. Not sure if the ten factory tone rings are symmetrical but the factory ones are not. The side with the recess goes towards the flange. Do you have a pic of the tone rings they provided you? I could also give you the distance the tone ring needs to be from the flange if that helps.

I don’t have any closeups of the tone rings right now, but I’ll get some as soon as I can. Thanks!

WJCO

Meme King
Not sure if the ten factory tone rings are symmetrical but the factory ones are not. The side with the recess goes towards the flange.

I meant the teeth are symmetrical as in the gaps between teeth are all the same. I didn't realize one side of the ring is different than the other. Hopefully that will be obvious during install.

USMC Wrangler

So here’s the JK tone ring from the Ten Factory site. I have no idea if this helps or not. But I won’t be able to get better pics until Sunday night or Monday morning.

IMG_8418.JPG

Edit: If I’m following you correctly, Speedy, the side that’s facing up in this pic should go towards the flange, aka, outboard?

Last edited:

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I meant the teeth are symmetrical as in the gaps between teeth are all the same. I didn't realize one side of the ring is different than the other. Hopefully that will be obvious during install.

Yep I knew exactly what you meant.

So here’s the JK tone ring from the Ten Factory site. I have no idea if this helps or not. But I won’t be able to get better pics until Sunday night or Monday morning.

View attachment 334171

Edit: If I’m following you correctly, Speedy, the side that’s facing up in this pic should go towards the flange, aka, outboard?

Correct, assuming the orientation is the same as factory which I would imagine it is. I’ll get you a pic of the OEM one here in a bit. We’re leaving town early in the morning or else I’d pull a wheel off to check the Ten Factory ones.

USMC Wrangler

Yep I knew exactly what you meant.

Correct, assuming the orientation is the same as factory which I would imagine it is. I’ll get you a pic of the OEM one here in a bit. We’re leaving town early in the morning or else I’d pull a wheel off to check the Ten Factory ones.

Thanks. Don’t let me hold you up from sleep or getting out the door. I have a few days to get this figured out. I appreciate it! [emoji1303]

Top Bottom