Rear bumpers !

White_JKU

sweet!!!!!

I think I am going to have to install some metal "caps" to cover the rectangular frame holes though! that would clean it up alot!

10frank9

Web Wheeler
White_JKU said:
sweet!!!!!

I think I am going to have to install some metal "caps" to cover the rectangular frame holes though! that would clean it up alot!

Yes, I plan on buying the EVO bold on D rings they run about $150 and not only add functionality, but lots of style 8)

JAGS

Hooked
White_JKU said:
how do they bolt on? i see the bolt on mounts for D-rings but not with rings included for $99.99

The piece goes inside the rear frame rail and bolts on from the outside. You have to get the D rings separate.

My only concern would be for crawling and coming off a rock onto the now exposed rear corner panels.

Hey WOL, you've wheeled long enough this way, any time you've done that kind of landing? No worries?

White_JKU

maybe im a dumba$$ but I can't wrap my little brain around how it can bolt on from the outside........ I MUST be looking at the wrong product you mentioned.

can you get a link the part you speak of.... Ive got to be looking at the wrong thing.
EVO-DRINGS_medium.jpg

10frank9

Web Wheeler
No I ran if for close to a year with no problems including some wheeling trips. But I did replace it with an OR-Fab tire/can carrier.

image-329706726.jpg

image-1811299619.jpg

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
No I ran if for close to a year with no problems including some wheeling trips. But I did replace it with an OR-Fab tire/can carrier.

View attachment 8954

View attachment 8955

I have seen that tire carrier on a few jeeps and really liked it. I checked out the instructions the other day and it looked like a real PITA to put on! I'm not opposed to putting holes in the Jeep but with all the bracing etc required I was just curious how the install went?

I have the smittybilt src with tire carrier and while it's functional I kind of wish I'd have gone with something else. My wife can hardly open and close it. I would prefer something that was a little better engineered.:twocents:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have the smittybilt src with tire carrier and while it's functional I kind of wish I'd have gone with something else. My wife can hardly open and close it. I would prefer something that was a little better engineered.:twocents:

Unfortunately, there are only a few bumpers out there that are really easy to use. LoD makes great ones, Expedition One and any of the other single handed operation setups are great too. The only downside to them is in the largest size tire they can carry. We were able to run a big 40x15.50 on our LoD for a long time but, could totally see how it might start to be a problem driving hard and fast in the desert.

Oh, I should also mention that I've installed an OR-FAB tire carrier before and it is a real pain.

RockIt Man

Contemplating the EVO and the Poison Spyder rear tire carriers. I use my rear storage area about everyday. Is the EVO a pain to use in this manner?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Contemplating the EVO and the Poison Spyder rear tire carriers. I use my rear storage area about everyday. Is the EVO a pain to use in this manner?

Not to me it isn't and not even for Cindy. Just pull the cotter pins from the clevis pins, remove the clevis pins and open. Not as fast as just opening up the tail gate but, not really a problem even with a big 40x15.50 spare. The near 200 lbs of weight will require you to lift up the tire carrier a bit in order to get it back in but, it really is just a bit and not enough to matter. With a smaller and lighter 37, you won't even have that to deal with.

RockIt Man

Good info. I'm running 35 1250 20 Nitto mud and will be moving to your tires when these are done. Have you put any hits in the carrier like when coming off a ledge? Is there any concern with the carrier mounted to the body? Or is it designed in a way that it can take a hit?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Good info. I'm running 35 1250 20 Nitto mud and will be moving to your tires when these are done. Have you put any hits in the carrier like when coming off a ledge? Is there any concern with the carrier mounted to the body? Or is it designed in a way that it can take a hit?

Oh yeah, once, and BIG TIME on the corner of the tube with a big pointy boulder over on Swamp Lake. Just got a little scratch and that's about it. :yup:

RockIt Man

Ok great. Well I'm literally placing my order right now! I'll tell EVO to make sure you get your commission. Great salesman skills :wink: :thumb:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I have seen that tire carrier on a few jeeps and really liked it. I checked out the instructions the other day and it looked like a real PITA to put on! I'm not opposed to putting holes in the Jeep but with all the bracing etc required I was just curious how the install went?

Well, it is built solid and I really like it. It is braced well inside of your Jeep. As far as the install goes it is a bit of a PITA but with the right tools and help form a buddy it will go smoothly. And lucky for you, someone on this very forum did a write up for this carrier install you can find it here:)

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?2072-OR-Fab-Tire-Jerry-Can-Carrier-Install-Write-Up

Regarding ease of use it is easy, but no easier than your current setup.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Well, it is built solid and I really like it. It is braced well inside of your Jeep. As far as the install goes it is a bit of a PITA but with the right tools and help form a buddy it will go smoothly. And lucky for you, someone on this very forum did a write up for this carrier install you can find it here:)

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?2072-OR-Fab-Tire-Jerry-Can-Carrier-Install-Write-Up

Regarding ease of use it is easy, but no easier than your current setup.

Sweet. Nice write up! :clap2:

Top Bottom