Rear tire carrier

JagJeeper

I am 3 weeks away from adding 37s with a 3.5 inch lift. Got a 2014 Rubicon X with the metal bumpers. So was going to go with the TF tire carrier till read about all the issues. Have they been fixed? Was thinking about going with AEV over TF and the new PS body mounted, especially since my bumper is designed for it. Anyone using AEV tire carrier? Is it working well for you/issues?

I looked into the aev but it is set up off center which for some people ocd would make them go crazy.

No the teraflex issues have not been fixed and prob never will be. Since you have an X I believe it has a hole already in the bumper to allow for the AEV carrier.

I am 3 weeks away from adding 37s with a 3.5 inch lift. Got a 2014 Rubicon X with the metal bumpers. So was going to go with the TF tire carrier till read about all the issues. Have they been fixed? Was thinking about going with AEV over TF and the new PS body mounted, especially since my bumper is designed for it. Anyone using AEV tire carrier? Is it working well for you/issues?

My AEV tire carrier has not given me any issues. It was installed almost 5 years ago and It hasn't missed a lick. One issue to note (very minor) that the tire offsets to the right a couple of inches. It is just something that bugs me. What rear bumper do you have? You might have to modify it to work with the AEV tire carrier since it is mounted to the frame. One issue I am running into is that the AEV bumpers will not clear 40s (currently on 37s and works fine). Northridge4x4 sells a modified PSC Brawler rear bumper specifically to fit the AEV tire carrier.
http://www.northridge4x4.com/exteri...thridge-edition-rear-brawler-bumper-17-61-040
I don't have any experience on the TF stuff.

I do have the X bumper so the AEV tire carrier is supposed fit it. I also noticed the offset thing. Does it affect anything as far as drive ect?

I would highly recommend the AEV tire carrier as it's been proven to work well and is mounted to your frame. Even IF the TeraFlex tire carrier didn't have issues with breaks, it'd still be a big waste of money IF you wheel your Jeep. Just one catch of the spare on a ledge and you'll be buckling in your tailgate, breaking the rear glass or both.

I will have to agree with Eddie AEV is what I would get since you have the bumper made for it. The Teraflex is expensive for what you get not much more I got my bumper and tire carrier. I have a ACE and really like it but since you have the bumper from the factory you spent more to have as a option I say go AEV.

I would highly recommend the AEV tire carrier as it's been proven to work well and is mounted to your frame. Even IF the TeraFlex tire carrier didn't have issues with breaks, it'd still be a big waste of money IF you wheel your Jeep. Just one catch of the spare on a ledge and you'll be buckling in your tailgate, breaking the rear glass or both.

waiting on the fan boi's to be up in arms over this lol! I will second the AEV carrier though, I dont own one personally but I've heard a lot of good things from people that run it.

I have the AEV rear tire carrier. It works. I had thought of the TF also but for a similar price, way better product.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I'm using the AEV tire carrier and I love it. Works great with our bumper.

Attachments

• 1422321226028.jpg
    1422321226028.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 306
I do have the X bumper so the AEV tire carrier is supposed fit it. I also noticed the offset thing. Does it affect anything as far as drive ect?

Nothing that is noticeable besides the typical Jeep lean (1/2 inch) but not noticeable when driving. It fills up the back window but what 37" tire doesn't? I have wondered if the gas tank and my big 37" on the right side has affected some lines during off-roading but negligible to worry about. It is a solid design and like everyone has said, much better than The TF from what I have heard.

I would go with aev as well, even if you decide to pull the bumper and run without on, the AEV still looks really good mounted to the frame.

IMG_0057.JPG

I am new to this site and have had a few bumper brands. I cannot comment on the AEV besides it looks great. I have the Rock Hard and have been running it for a year now and it is solid. No rattles to report and it does not connect to the rear very thin metal door. NOT A FAN.

Attachments

• IMG_0055.JPG
    IMG_0055.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
I've been running the AEV tire carrier, bumper and fuel caddy for about 8 months now. Very happy with the whole set up. The carrier swings very smoothly even with the extra 60lbs of gas in the caddy. I've never heard one rattle from the back end either.

So I am looking at replacing my rear bumper with the Evo Fascia and d-rings, by looking at the AEV tire carrier- it looks like it should bolt on the outside of the frame where the fascia does not cover. Am I thinking wrong in that case?

So I am looking at replacing my rear bumper with the Evo Fascia and d-rings, by looking at the AEV tire carrier- it looks like it should bolt on the outside of the frame where the fascia does not cover. Am I thinking wrong in that case?

it bolts to the same spot as the evo d rings and facia so you will not be able to run them. take a look at JKjody's jeep. he is running the d rings on only the driver side.

Don't ask how, because it's not mine. But somehow it can be done if you try.

Attachments

• 1422390679018.jpg
    1422390679018.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 185
Don't ask how, because it's not mine. But somehow it can be done if you try.

Awesome! Thank you both! I saw a clearer picture of how the fascia mounts and then looked at the tire carrier instructions. It looks like it would just be the extra metal from the fascia that would be the difference in stopping it from mounting.

Thanks for the pic Olram- that is exactly what I was looking for.

Top Bottom