Rear Wheel Bearing Out??

Hammerman

Service department drove my Jeep with the E brake on, bearings making a damage bearing noise. Removed tires. breaks assembly. looks like the e break/bearing area was hot, the anti seize on bolts was dry and flakes off. do you think the extreme heat from running the e brake damaged the rear axle bearings.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Service department drove my Jeep with the E brake on, bearings making a damage bearing noise. Removed tires. breaks assembly. looks like the e break/bearing area was hot, the anti seize on bolts was dry and flakes off. do you think the extreme heat from running the e brake damaged the rear axle bearings.

I really doubt it. If your bearings were in fact bad, you should be seeing a seal leak or seeing one very soon.

bbeckley

This is what happens when you ignore that little seal leak. Mine blew out going down the highway, ruining my axle shaft along with it.

Attachments

• 1419023802090.jpg
    1419023802090.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 62

Hammerman

I really doubt it. If your bearings were in fact bad, you should be seeing a seal leak or seeing one very soon.

Driver side has seal leaking. passenger side no grease, I can hear the bearing when I turn the shaft. I checked the ring gear for play and wear nothing there. some play in the locker area (Rubicon model) just when the shafts are turning. Trying to find a solution rather than replace parts.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Driver side has seal leaking. passenger side no grease, I can hear the bearing when I turn the shaft. I checked the ring gear for play and wear nothing there. some play in the locker area (Rubicon model) just when the shafts are turning. Trying to find a solution rather than replace parts.

Well, if the seal is leaking, you probably have a bearing that needs to be replaced.

Top Bottom