Recent Shooting and Discussion

Ddays

Hooked
Wow, sorry to hear that and glad she's ok.

I fear Pandora's box has been opened up with this shit and it's never going to stop. With the social media aspect of these incidents I feel it has empowered these so-called disaffected individuals to folllow suit. :naw:

I'm at the point that if giving up every one of our guns would guarantee these mass shootings and attacks would cease, I'd be first in line to hand mine in. Unfortunately we all know that's a pipe dream.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
My sister’s daughters high school in Highlands Ranch CO was just shot up...

This shit has got to stop...we live in a fucked up world

My niece is ok...trying to find out if any of her friends were shot

Glad to hear that your niece is ok! I hope that her friends are too! Having a high school daughter of my own I always hate to hear about this and I agree with you!

JAGS

Hooked
This is terrible. I haven’t turned on the news today so I had no idea.

It’s not unreasonable to ask for something to change. Because something has to change. The notion that a “solution” must stop this for it to be viable is stupid.

That said, 563 posts tells me this issue won’t be solved on a Jeep forum.

I’m very thankful your niece is safe and hope she has a support system around her to help with the trauma she’s been through.

TrailHunter

Hooked

Sorry to hear this Ed. Glad she is ok.. and praying for the others. I really wish we could resolve this problem in our schools. So frustrating.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Damn. I’m glad to hear she is ok but saddened greatly to hear that some of her classmates are not. :(

Trail JK

So sorry to hear this! Totally crazy and sad. Can’t even imagine being a parent in a situation like this. Smh

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

RCVRY

Praying for all. Always. My wife and I had to tell our girls elementary school to have an active shooter plan before they developed one.
I haven’t read the whole thread and can’t. It’s too much.
Too much denial of mental illness. I have history of mental illness in my family and myself. I won’t keep guns in my house.
Mental health note: it’s okay not to be okay.

Brute

Hooked
One of the shooters walked into my nieces friend’s classroom and shot the kid directly in front of her...the shooter was a classmate...several of the students in the classroom swarmed the shooter and prevented any further shootings...

Needless to say, my sister, who is also a teacher at the nearby Highlands Ranch elementary school, is besides herself...and so is her daughter.

I always read and listen to those that pontificate on the causes and possible solutions to all of the mass shootings...but there are only two factors that unite all of them...mental illness and guns; can’t do anything about mental illness...

jesse3638

Hooked
One of the shooters walked into my nieces friend’s classroom and shot the kid directly in front of her...the shooter was a classmate...several of the students in the classroom swarmed the shooter and prevented any further shootings...

Needless to say, my sister, who is also a teacher at the nearby Highlands Ranch elementary school, is besides herself...and so is her daughter.

I always read and listen to those that pontificate on the causes and possible solutions to all of the mass shootings...but there are only two factors that unite all of them...mental illness and guns; can’t do anything about mental illness...
That's absolutely crazy to even imagine. Though a lot of us only know each other from this forum it feels like it hits close to home. Glad your niece is OK. I can't even begin to imagine what her friend is feeling. Another thing that's crazy to hear is that students swarmed the attacker. Fear seems to be switching to motivation for a call to arms. That in itself is something no kid should ever need to do. Most adults may not even react that way.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jsouder53

Hooked
Another thing that's crazy to hear is that students swarmed the attacker. Fear seems to be switching to motivation for a call to arms.

Those kids are heroes! But yes, that is something they should never have to do

Most adults may not even react that way.

This is very true, most people would probably freeze in fear instead of act on fear...

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Crazy to read that a young female student was one of the shooters. That is definitely atypical of these tragedies. It sounds like a very brave young man put himself in harm's way (and sadly lost his life) trying to protect his fellow classmates.

Irrespective of the gun debate, I am stricken by the fundamental disregard for others that is pervasive in our society. That disregard seems to be getting worse by the day. If society doesn't figure out how to address the issue, we are screwed. The instrumentalities of death may change as laws change, but the amount of death and disregard for life likely will not.

I cannot help but think that the proliferation of social media cannot be ignored when discussing the degradation of our society, and I have recently read at least one scholarly article presenting a correlation between social media (in 2011, Twitter doubled it users, Facebook exceeded 750 million users, and Instagram had been out for one year) and the yearly number of mass shootings (demonstrably higher from 2011-2018 than in the preceding 8 year period of 2003-2010.)

Brute

Hooked
It amazes me that despite incredulous advances in technology and our understanding of our universe, how little we have changed since ancient times...we still settle our differences at the point of the sword...

Sharkey

Word Ninja
It amazes me that despite incredulous advances in technology and our understanding of our universe, how little we have changed since ancient times...we still settle our differences at the point of the sword...

Agreed, and social media has created more tribalism, not less.

JK_0311

Even though guns were used in this school attack and many other attacks, we are noticing that guns are not the only way to mass kill humans (reference China knife school attacks and driving large vehicles in crowded areas, etc), this is hardly a gun issue. Guns are simply the mechanism that is utilized. We are fooling ourselves if we think that simply making all, or any type of gun illegal will solve this issue.

This is school attack/violence issue, not a school ‘shooting’ issue, by labeling it that we are not being true to ourselves of what the larger problem is.

Why aren’t our schools protected like court houses or other political buildings, shit even my water reclamation/treatment facility is more secured. We refuse to implement the needed protective measures to harden these soft targets. How easy is it to walk on school grounds and just poke around. Once we let a terrorist conduct an attack on a school then maybe we will start securing them, kind of like locking cabin doors.

Mental health is an issue as well, but again if the perpetrator is not even in the system or seeking help then that’s not a preventive measure. The best hope is to harden these targets, no we don’t have to make them look like Gitmo. Israel has some how found a way to harden their schools and not make it look like a combat outpost. Sure we could do the same.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
...Israel has some how found a way to harden their schools and not make it look like a combat outpost...

Interesting point. According to some articles, some Israeli security experts contend that gun violence is rare in Israel because privately held guns are so rare. All gun owners in Israel are registered with the Ministry of Internal Security, and only about 3.5% of the population have permits to carry firearms. You also have to be over 27 years old to obtain a gun license (or have been recently released from military service).

By all accounts, it is very hard to obtain a firearm in Israel, and there are a litany of very strict laws related to the type of guns that can be owned, the amount of ammunition that can be possessed, and where/how firearms must be stored. It takes months to acquire a gun in Israel, and a doctor has to sign off on the request (which means mental health screening on some level). By some reports, fewer than 1 in 10 Israelis own a firearm (per-capita). The US has at least 1 gun per person (again, per-capita).

So, if we adopt Israel's policies, gun ownership in the U.S. would look very different (much more restrictive) than it does now.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate guns. I have a few myself. But, until we figure out a way to play nice with each other, I don't believe it is responsible to ignore the impact of the number of weapons (legal and illegal) in circulation in this country. Some people are willing to say none of that matters because the 2nd Amendment is absolute. Personally, and as a lawyer, I disagree. Regardless, as a responsible gun owner, I am willing to consider any reasonable restriction that is narrowly tailored to a compelling governmental interest.

I also believe crazy will always find a way to be crazy and someone who really wants to kill will find a way. But, again, until we figure out how to play nice and get rid of crazy, I think it is probably time to talk about whether additional (and possibly temporary) steps can be taken to lessen the chance of kids ending up with guns.

Last edited:
Top Bottom