Recent Shooting and Discussion

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
It’s why people use Chicago as an example of gun control failing. Not that you need that pointed out to you.

I think someone pointed out the number of firearms that currently exist in the United States and it was like 400 million or so. Whatever. At some point it’s so high it’s arbitrary. Anyways it’s pretty safe to say even if all gun manufacturing and sales stopped today, there’s plenty available. Turn them all in to be destroyed? Even if you had 99.99% confiscated/turned in, that still leaves 4,000,000 guns available to the public in some way. How may does it take for a mass shooting? The remaining .01% that didn’t turn in are most likely, or would be post ban, criminal. So obviously a highly effective gun ban or confiscation (99.99% success rate) wouldn’t solve the problem completely. Legislation is out.

A well armed and trained law enforcement? Already there and even with the best response times are preventing deaths.

I honestly believe the answer is rooted in society and therefore very complicated. It’s mental health and there’s so many variables there, it’s hard to pinpoint where to start. It also takes someone much smarter and more qualified to speak in that area, than a bunch of Jeep enthusiasts on a forum.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I agree. The last two paragraphs hit the nail on the head. Law enforcement was there at Walmart and onion within 60 seconds. That quicker than it would take to get an ambulance to you if you had a heat attack by 4 to 5 times.

Social media and televised journalism is a problem. These people are made famous and they get their points or manifestos out to the masses by doing what they are doing. They accomplished their goal. Also, mental health issues which stem from poor parenting and drug up todays youth doesn’t help. “Oh my child can’t stay focused” here is a prescription for a drug for them to be on for the next 10 to 15 years. Instead of, your child can’t stay focused because you have no fucking idea how to parent and have been over stimulating their brains with tv and videos games from the age of 12 months you dumb fuck. (Not you bubba, in general lol)

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I think you have a greater chance of getting struck by lightening or eaten by a shark than getting killed in a mass shooting incident. The press highlights the exceptional situations with much fanfare, and people vastly over perceive the risk to themselves.

Would it surprise you to find out that you are wrong with respect to both examples?

IMG_5249.jpg

I agree with you generally though, statistically the risk is very low, that’s for sure. It’s too low to let it consume your life but it’s becoming high enough that I think society should consider ways to lessen the risk.

jesse3638

Hooked
It’s why people use Chicago as an example of gun control failing. Not that you need that pointed out to you.

I think someone pointed out the number of firearms that currently exist in the United States and it was like 400 million or so. Whatever. At some point it’s so high it’s arbitrary. Anyways it’s pretty safe to say even if all gun manufacturing and sales stopped today, there’s plenty available. Turn them all in to be destroyed? Even if you had 99.99% confiscated/turned in, that still leaves 4,000,000 guns available to the public in some way. How may does it take for a mass shooting? The remaining .01% that didn’t turn in are most likely, or would be post ban, criminal. So obviously a highly effective gun ban or confiscation (99.99% success rate) wouldn’t solve the problem completely. Legislation is out.

A well armed and trained law enforcement? Already there and even with the best response times are preventing deaths.

I honestly believe the answer is rooted in society and therefore very complicated. It’s mental health and there’s so many variables there, it’s hard to pinpoint where to start. It also takes someone much smarter and more qualified to speak in that area, than a bunch of Jeep enthusiasts on a forum.

I agree. The last two paragraphs hit the nail on the head. Law enforcement was there at Walmart and onion within 60 seconds. That quicker than it would take to get an ambulance to you if you had a heat attack by 4 to 5 times.

Social media and televised journalism is a problem. These people are made famous and they get their points or manifestos out to the masses by doing what they are doing. They accomplished their goal. Also, mental health issues which stem from poor parenting and drug up todays youth doesn’t help. “Oh my child can’t stay focused” here is a prescription for a drug for them to be on for the next 10 to 15 years. Instead of, your child can’t stay focused because you have no fucking idea how to parent and have been over stimulating their brains with tv and videos games from the age of 12 months you dumb fuck. (Not you bubba, in general lol)

This is exactly why I pointed out the amount of guns already in the hands of citizens. My wife recently transferred from teaching in the classroom at a school with the highest performing, highest socioeconomic status to doing behavioral intervention at the lowest performing, lowest socioeconomic school in the district. She has received far more respect from students and parents at her new school in the first 6 months of being there than she ever did in the 6 years at her other site. It's a night and day comparison she has said. She actually had a parent her last year at her former school demand that she give her son an A. She explained to the parent that her son had not done the work and was lazy in class this is why he was getting a C. The parents response was well he is smart and capable of getting the A therefore he needs to have the A. She agreed and said yes he is very smart and very capable, however giving him the A on this premise won't teach him responsibility or work ethic therefor he is getting the C. Mad, the patent went to the principal filed a complaint and demanded she do something. The principal went to my wife and said she should give him the A, essentially to get the parent off her back. My wife was pissed and refused. She did compromise and assigned the student additional work that if he completed it could get the A. Guess what happened, he didn't do it and the parent was back at the school bitching. This is in not opinion why mass shooting happen. Parents are not willing to accept their kid is a slouch, lazy, or willing to work with authority or in this case teachers to help them grow into responsible adults. Fueled by the need to fit in or be cool on social media or have the news put a political spin on things. If I acted this way in 4th grade my mom would have been pissed Smacked me up side the head and told me to get my shit done! I can't speak to the shooting in El Paso because I don't know the facts, but front the initial headline I read the news leading with Trump supporter white neonazi or whatever seems pretty obvious as to their motive. Fuck guns, bombs, knives, u-haul trucks, poison, etc. Not trying to sound like a peace loving hippy but can't we just all get along? Focus on the reason these incidents are occurring, not how they're being carried out and we may come just a little closer to getting a solution.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
251 “mass shootings” since the beginning of the year with 520 people killed.

293 people murdered in the city of Chicago since the beginning of the year. One city.

How come one of these is an issue and the other isn’t? 100 times more likely to get killed in Chicago than during a mass shooting.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

People aren’t afraid of what happens in Chicago, because it isn’t in, “their neighborhood.”

Last edited:

Leeboy03

251 “mass shootings” since the beginning of the year with 520 people killed.

293 people murdered in the city of Chicago since the beginning of the year. One city.

How come one of these is an issue and the other isn’t? 100 times more likely to get killed in Chicago than during a mass shooting.

I wonder how many murders in Chicago, or anywhere else, involved a “military style” weapon? Probably few if any.

Mass shooters on the other hand are looking for attention and I can’t think of a single weapon that will get them more attention than the AR15. Instantly the liberals, Hollywood, WAYALIFE and everyone else starts talking about it and gun laws. Seriously, what other weapon would get the attention that the AR15 gets?

Lojo

Would it surprise you to find out that you are wrong with respect to both examples?

View attachment 331994

I agree with you generally though, statistically the risk is very low, that’s for sure. It’s too low to let it consume your life but it’s becoming high enough that I think society should consider ways to lessen the risk.

Let’s Ban motor vehicles 1 in 108...
Way worse than guns!

I think both of you nailed this one. And Overlander especially. Parents are doing an awful job at raising their kids and outside forces are doing the job for them. Kids can't figure out what gender they are for god's sake.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

View attachment 331994

So what your saying is I have a higher chance of dying in a spaceship accident than a shooting. Meaning I get to go to space. Sweet!

Sharkey

Word Ninja
So what your saying is I have a higher chance of dying in a spaceship accident than a shooting. Meaning I get to go to space. Sweet!

I found that funny too and would love to know what fits into the classification. But, that’s the wrong focus. Line out everything on the list that is not the result of one person intentionally doing something to another person.

This thread isn’t about how to bubble wrap life and make it perfectly safe. It’s also not about banning guns (at least it isn’t for me). It is about whether we can and should do a better job with reasonable gun laws since our country has largely turned into a bunch of self-centered douchebags who don’t value anything besides themselves and their social media profiles (I direct that every bit as much, if not more, to 95% of the parents and non-parent adults out there as I do the so-called millennials).

In a civilized society, at what point is there an obligation to protect people from themselves?

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Not my problem. That chart says I’m going to space. They need to figure it out, not me.

You are totaling misreading the chart. I’m pretty sure it just means you might get hit with some frozen shit dumped out of a spacecraft, or a bolt or panel or something like that. No effing way NASA or Elon are sending you as our first contact with an alien race.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
It’s also not about banning guns (at least it isn’t for me). It is about whether we can and should do a better job with reasonable gun laws since our country has largely turned into a bunch of self-centered douchebags who don’t value anything besides themselves and their social media profiles (I direct that every bit as much, if not more, to 95% of the parents and non-parent adults out there as I do the so-called millennials).

In a civilized society, at what point is there an obligation to protect people from themselves?

I agree with that. I think problem most of the people have with gun laws, is the fact that the first people in government, who call for stricter gun laws, are actually for no guns at all. Many of them are on record, saying as much. That is why so many gun people don’t want more gun laws.

As far as the obligation to protect people from themselves, I personally don’t think we have any obligation.

rmilobrown

Made me laugh [emoji23]
You are totaling misreading the chart. I’m pretty sure it just means you might get hit with some frozen shit dumped out of a spacecraft, or a bolt or panel or something like that. No effing way NASA or Elon are sending you as our first contact with an alien race.

HAPPYTRAILS

JAGS

Hooked
Just for those who like keeping score.

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/

Why not do something for the 180+ cops. How many more till the blue lives really matter? Or what about for the several hundred kids between the ages 0-11. They can’t defend themselves.

These numbers are pretty staggering.

Top Bottom