RECOVERY GEAR : A Must Have Before Hitting the Trails

machinegunmedic

Like ArmyDog said, they did get out, and with little or no damage. So in the exact scenero and same equipment; what would you guys do different?
Ok.... and not go back the second time for the camera man doesn't count.

I've been stuck with my jeep more times than I can count, and at work we use G Wagons, so I spend my share of time in mud, snow and sand. I'm always open for new and better ideas.

GCM 2

After re-reading through this whole thread I noticed a key piece of equipment that has been continually left out of the discussion. This piece of kit is intended to prevent death on the trail during recoveries, as well as preventing forum trolls from flourishing- simply known as a rope blanket

Not just used for sucking the kinetic energy out of steel cables if they should snap, but can be placed on any line, rope, etc.

image-3483361484.jpg

image-2373309601.jpg

Heck, this one even holds snatch block and clevis'

image-2336751135.jpg

Oh my, what's that? You can use your tow strap or snatch strap to also be used as a rope blanket?

image-2492063189.jpg

.......What about a large floppy floor mat, or a picnic blanket, or a sleeping bag, or a seat cover? Can these be used to to prevent a snapped recovery line with a clevis from shooting through my face?

Why yes, you F'ing tool, yes you can.

Armydog

After re-reading through this whole thread I noticed a key piece of equipment that has been continually left out of the discussion. This piece of kit is intended to prevent death on the trail during recoveries, as well as preventing forum trolls from flourishing- simply known as a rope blanket

Not just used for sucking the kinetic energy out of steel cables if they should snap, but can be placed on any line, rope, etc.

View attachment 73551

View attachment 73552

Heck, this one even holds snatch block and clevis'

View attachment 73553

Oh my, what's that? You can use your tow strap or snatch strap to also be used as a rope blanket?

View attachment 73554

.......What about a large floppy floor mat, or a picnic blanket, or a sleeping bag, or a seat cover? Can these be used to to prevent a snapped recovery line with a clevis from shooting through my face?

Very nice..... and it's orange!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

Tigrcky

Like ArmyDog said, they did get out, and with little or no damage. So in the exact scenero and same equipment; what would you guys do different?
Ok.... and not go back the second time for the camera man doesn't count.

I've been stuck with my jeep more times than I can count, and at work we use G Wagons, so I spend my share of time in mud, snow and sand. I'm always open for new and better ideas.

personally i would have used the winch on the unstuck taco to pull it while strapped to the other taco to pull both but thats just me

hydrohut

Wow, I mean, just wow. There was just so much stupidness going on in the video that I don't even know where to begin. If there's one thing that I learned, people who link two straps together with a stick or a newspaper think it's okay to yank the living crap out of a stuck rig and to the point where you end up flopping the recovery rig. To that end, yeah, if that's how people are using their straps, I think they have way bigger things to worry about IN ADDITION TO a d-ring becoming a projectile.

Needless to say, not exactly how I would have done things but hey, what do I know.

Was just putting it out there for all to see in a friendly non offensive way. Personally, and I'm no expert on recovery, I think they didn't do a bad job in the end under the circumstances, considering the speed of the tide coming in etc, they worked very fast at getting a good final outcome. In situations like that sometimes what people do aint always pretty and not necessarily best practice. No matter how you do a snatch there is always an element of danger I think. In the end they were lucky they had that length of straps to put the tow vehicle on firm enough ground, complete the recovery and not end up with two hopelessly bogged down trucks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Like ArmyDog said, they did get out, and with little or no damage.

That we know of. Sure, they got away from doing body damage but, big energy like that can do significant damage to your drive train components.

So in the exact scenero and same equipment; what would you guys do different?

Well, they seemed to have enough winch line to hook up the that tree. Using the same tools, I would have anchored the recovery vehicle to that tree using the 2 straps and then used the winch to do the recovery. Sure, it would't be as dramatic on camera but, it would have been a lot safer. I should note that I have done this EXACT recovery to help rescue a Jeep sliding off a steep and loose mountain side and god forbid, I even used a d-ring to connect the 2 straps to do it :shock:

Whenever possible, I try really hard to avoid recoveries requiring hillbilly horse power but, that's just me.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Yup, well said. I always carry a big moving blanket with me. For the most part, it acts as a sleeping pad for Tessa but, use it all the time when working under my Jeep on the trail and if needed, use it for this very purpose. Thank you for posting this up. :yup:

machinegunmedic

That we know of. Sure, they got away from doing body damage but, big energy like that can do significant damage to your drive train components.

Well, they seemed to have enough winch line to hook up the that tree. Using the same tools, I would have anchored the recovery vehicle to that tree using the 2 straps and then used the winch to do the recovery. Sure, it would't be as dramatic on camera but, it would have been a lot safer. I should note that I have done this EXACT recovery to help rescue a Jeep sliding off a steep and loose mountain side and god forbid, I even used a d-ring to connect the 2 straps to do it :shock:

Whenever possible, I try really hard to avoid recoveries requiring hillbilly horse power but, that's just me.

So I would have anchored to the tree as well and used winch, however I got to thinking. The second truck was in the muck good. Would there be more energy in the winch or the old snatch and go?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Was just putting it out there for all to see in a friendly non offensive way.

Oh, I understand that and hope you know that I was not trying to be critical of you. I was just stupefied at what I saw in the video. :crazyeyes:

Personally, and I'm no expert on recovery, I think they didn't do a bad job in the end under the circumstances, considering the speed of the tide coming in etc, they worked very fast at getting a good final outcome. In situations like that sometimes what people do aint always pretty and not necessarily best practice. No matter how you do a snatch there is always an element of danger I think.

And this is where I would disagree. In my opinion, a recovery should always be methodical and done patiently. Because they were in such a rush, one of the recovery rig ended up on it's side. Had there not been a tree nearby to help get him back on all four, they would of had two hopelessly bogged down trucks with the tide coming in. Of course, this is to say nothing of the fact that someone could have gotten seriously hurt. While there may always be an element of danger in any recovery, there are always way to mitigate them.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
At least they had boats :what:

:cheesy:

So I would have anchored to the tree as well and used winch, however I got to thinking. The second truck was in the muck good. Would there be more energy in the winch or the old snatch and go?

I suppose it depends on what kind of winch they were using. While there may have been more energy in the snatch and go method, it clearly could have lead to disaster. A little digging in front of the tires to create a ramp wouldn't have hurt either. Of course, one of the reasons why the guy got stuck in the first place was because he was running what looked to me like street pressure in his tires. Once stuck, they could have let a lot of air out and that would have helped. You just need to think things through rather than just start yanking the hell out of a stuck rig. At least, that how I try to do things.

munstie

And, they would of had two hopelessly bogged down trucks with the tide coming in. .

That's why they had the boats on the racks they could've just continued flipping it over and floated it out of there.:D

Sent from the"Zone of Influence"

Last edited:

GCM 2

Yup, well said. I always carry a big moving blanket with me. For the most part, it acts as a sleeping pad for Tessa but, use it all the time when working under my Jeep on the trail and if needed, use it for this very purpose. Thank you for posting this up. :yup:

Man, incredibly average minds think alike! My blue quilted moving blanket goes everywhere with me too, my dogs use it for their pad in the jeep, I use it on the trail for repairs too, and most recently it was used as my bottom insulating layer on my air mattress while I slept in the race trailer out at King of the Hammers. I think I bought it at a uhaul store for like $12.00, definitely a must have trail item I recommend to everyone!

Armydog

Agreed on the winch. They didn't even try that. Just went right to the snatch and grab.....

Armydog

:cheesy:

I suppose it depends on what kind of winch they were using. While there may have been more energy in the snatch and go method, it clearly could have lead to disaster. A little digging in front of the tires to create a ramp wouldn't have hurt either. Of course, one of the reasons why the guy got stuck in the first place was because he was running what looked to me like street pressure in his tires. Once stuck, they could have let a lot of air out and that would have helped. You just need to think things through rather than just start yanking the hell out of a stuck rig. At least, that how I try to do things.

I'm just learning here, but have witnessed the incredible difference airing down makes. Tried the pumpkin in the last snow storm, made it about 100 yards uphill on a construction road that was unplowed and covered with about 35-40 inches of powder. Lost momentum (first problem) then the tires cut into the snow and the whole rig sank in up to the dropped belly pan ( another issue with my rig). Stuck. Stuck. Stuck. So, the first thing I did was air down, newby here.... went a little too low, but didn't loose the bead. Got moving again even though it took a bit of back and forth rocking.... Got about a quarter mile more uphill until I got sideways and started slipping off the retaining wall toward the parallel drainage culvert. It's about a 15' drop, so I chickened out and pulled the cable back to a tree on the opposite side of the road. Once I winched the pumpkin back on the straight and narrow, I drove out without any slippage at all... downhill of course, and I'm sure that is a factor but the lower tire pressure was definitely a factor...

Going to get some air down valves or whatever those things are called because it's slow ,tedious and inaccurate doing it by hand.
AND I need on board air so I don't have to drive home on nearly flat tires.... The road in question is 100' from my driveway.....

Armydog

Adding a moving blanket to my recovery kit............

Top Bottom