Regear to 5.13, RPMs at 80/85/90mph??

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I find 6k hard to believe unless he was in second gear winding it out.

I ran 5.13's with 35's for two years and loved every minute of it. When I went to 37's the power loss was noticeable. Granted I have a manual so it's a bit different than an auto but I would do 5.13's hands down.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

This guy is wanting to go 90 mph, is all I'm thinking. 5.13 may be a little low for that.

KICKROX

I am currently running 35's and 5.13 gears and I'll tell you one thing.. I never go past 80 and wouldn't want to. 80 is doable at about 3800rpm but try to stay at around 75 max. I wouldn't even attempt to do 90 with 5.13's as I feel I'd be pushing the Jeep too hard at that speed.

I do plan to go to 37's soon but I've been driving with 5.13's and 35's for about 2 years now.

moteaux

I just put 5.13 in my Jeep. I am on 315/70 17 in tires. The transmission rows through the first 3 gears pretty fast. I am at 3000 rpm at 70.

My jeep is a 3.6 2014 Sport with Rubi case. I haven't tried 80 yet.

Caveat - I also just ordered 37s.

Someone mentioned that you would be in the higher RPMS with this set up climbing hills. I already was in that range with my 3.73. I would say I could drive this set up for a while, but I believe it will like the 37s better.

If you have any desire to go to bigger tires, get the 5.13.

aermotor

2012 3.6L 4 Door on 37" STT Pros and 5.13s. Running 80 is pretty easy, 85 works too, 90 will be getting up more than I need to, and get a bit wobbly on my short arms. For 35s I would go 4.88 max, 5.13s will be too tall.

75mph = 3K exactly for me.

Last edited:

jeffj

Caught the Bug
After running 37's with my 2012 auto for 5 years with 4:88. I would definitely go 4:88 with 35's and if you switch to 37's you'll still be good. You can't really compare with people that have a standard transmission. Now I have a 2014 auto with 5:38 and 40's and it keeps it even lower in the rpm's and it makes it nice.

RUBEERCON

Thanks Guys! I don't drive fast all the time but I do like to stay above the speed limit on longer trips and I do like to pass when the timing is right.

I'll probably get 488s and just live with the loss if I get 37" tires. Plus I could still do 80!

My 410 and 35s have been fine except on the long highway inclines where the jeep downshifts and tachs out trying to maintain 80mph.

Thanks again for the input.
Steve

Last edited:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Thanks Guys! I don't drive fast all the time but I do like to stay above the speed limit on longer trips and I do like to pass when the timing is right.

I'll probably get 488s and just live with the loss if I get 37" tires. Plus I could still do 80!

My 410 and 35s have been fine except on the long highway inclines where the jeep downshifts and tachs out trying to maintain 80mph.

Thanks again for the input.
Steve

You should still get performance around what your Rubicon was like with stock tires, if you go 37, with 4.88. If you are dead set on 37's, gear for them and slow down. If you are going to run 35's, 4.88 will be enough.

GraniteCrystal

So 513 w 37 or 488? 2014 auto.. thanks!

I have a 2014 auto, 37s, 5.13 gears. I also live in Colorado and frequently go over large mountains (usually on pavement). For those reasons, I went with 5.13 for a little extra power. If I lived near sea level or a flatter landscape, I think 4.88 would be closer to stock. Right she definitely revs higher before shifting than she did stock.

RUBEERCON

Covered very well by the way.

I appreciate the responses. I definitely got my answer and I called installer and ordered the 488 gears. I will report back, but it sounds like I'll be happy.
Thanks members!

F

Fionayeti

3.6 engine with auto and 35's = 4:88
3.6 engine with auto and 37's = 5:13
Going 90mph and over = Porsche

Top Bottom