Remove (Aftermarket) Driveshafts to Grease

JoeB-JKURX

Does everyone pull their driveshafts to grease the joints (specifically the center ball on the double cardan end)? Can you get to it in the Jeep with a long needle?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty hard to do while it's on your Jeep or at least, while it's still attached to the output shaft yoke or flange. Ideally, you want to work the grease in on the double cardan centering ball.

jesse3638

Hooked
I always would remove the t-case end so I could get to the center ball zerk. I'd then manipulate the whole thing after greasing the u-joints. My front had non serviceable so nothing I could do there. When I had it rebuilt based on advice here and my local drive line shop I again had them use non serviceable Spicer u joints. They are a bit stronger and no need to grease, just replace. And I figured for $20 labor plus parts I can do that every few years..;)

rinkishjk

My front shaft I can get the center ball on the truck with a needle coming In at say 9 o'clock position. My rear I have a hard time and usually pull the tcase end.

Jeepfan30

Does everyone pull their driveshafts to grease the joints (specifically the center ball on the double cardan end)? Can you get to it in the Jeep with a long needle?

My non-serviceable u-joints and centering ball were squeaking, I pulled the shaft at the TC, removed the u-joints and centering ball, greased inside all the caps and ball. It's been silent for the last 1k miles. Front shaft has zerks, and yes I have to pull the shaft to manipulate it to get the zerks on the TC side.

Top Bottom