RENNY the Red Jeep Renegade in the Redwoods

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A little over a week ago, Cindy and I headed out to the northwest corner of California to visit the majestic Redwood forest in our brand new Red Jeep Renegade Trailhawk. In so many ways, this really is the perfect Jeep to do a trip like this and it really was every bit as much a pleasure to drive out there in as we had imagined. Super quite, awesome sound system, easy to drive, great handling on the twists and turns and most importantly, great fuel economy for the WIN! The route we took was up and over Highway 50, through South Lake Tahoe, down across Sacramento and out to the San Francisco Bay before heading north on U.S. Highway 101. Here are a few photos from our thousand mile round trip in Renny out to the Redwoods and back. I hope you enjoy :cool:

Renny all packed up and ready to roll.
main.php

How nice it is that as soon as we start heading west, we get to see beautiful Lake Tahoe.
main.php

Hard to pass up some Izzy Burgers when you're passing through Tahoe on an empty stomach.
main.php

Making a stop to stretch and take in the humidity down by the bay.
main.php

Our first day on the road only took us as far as Ukiah where we dined at the ever tasty Saucy brew pub and enjoyed a delicious Lagunitas Waldo's Special Ale.
main.php

After dinner, we took a stroll down the older part of town.
main.php

The following morning, we continued our way north up Highway 101 and under the Gateway to the Redwoods in Willits... I wonder if that's like the whiskey :D
main.php

Making a stop to let Tessa run around a bit. Sure is green out in these parts especially for a state that's suffering through a crazy drought.
main.php

I'm goin' down to South Park - Gonna have myself a time...
main.php

Made a stop along the way to hike up a part of Old U.S. Highway 101.
main.php

Like something right out of post apocalyptic zombie flick.
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Confused as to where we're at? That's probably because this photo was taken at the world famous Confusion Hill.
main.php

Up in the Redwoods, we made a stop along the Eel River to take a few poser shots of Renny.
main.php

main.php

Renny the Red Renegade in a Redwood! Driving our Jeep Renegade through the Chandelier Tree - the first of three drive thru Redwood trees.
main.php

Next up was the Shrine Drive-Thru Redwood tree.
main.php

main.php

main.php

And finally, here's a few shots of Renny running through the Klamath Tour-Thru Tree.
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Here's a side by side comparison shot of all three drive through Redwood trees.
rennyredwood-drivethru.jpg

Cruising through the Avenue of the Giants.
main.php

And here are a couple of shots of the towering Redwood tress you can find out here. Photos literally do them no justice.
main.php

main.php

main.php

Making a stop along the Pacific Ocean to see the sunset.
main.php

How could we not make a stop over at the Lost Coast Brewing Company.
main.php

When all was said and done, we racked up just over 1,000 miles on Renny's odometer. And, in spite of all the mountains we had to climb, we still managed to average over 25 MPG. Not too shabby.
main.php

I hope you enjoyed following our Renegade trek out to the Redwoods. :cool:

Looks like a fun trip! We have to find out where along 101 you accessed old 101 - that looks creepy! Hard to believe that the Shrine drive-thru tree is still standing with most of it's base missing; it looks like it could topple over anytime. Thanks for sharing...

For comparison sake, here's a shot of Rubicat going through all the trees back before she had full width axles.

rubicat-trees.jpg
attachment.php

:cool:

Looks like a fun trip, thank you for sharing.

I was hoping you would post a comparison of Renny and Rubicat in the trees :thumb:

Very cool. We just took a very similar trip last month for Spring Break... didn't take the Jeep though!

DSC_7287.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_7281.jpg
    DSC_7281.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 517
Looks like a fun trip! We have to find out where along 101 you accessed old 101 - that looks creepy! Hard to believe that the Shrine drive-thru tree is still standing with most of it's base missing; it looks like it could topple over anytime. Thanks for sharing...

If you ever make it out that way, it's near Confusion Hill and that's easy to find :yup:

Looks like a fun trip, thank you for sharing.

I was hoping you would post a comparison of Renny and Rubicat in the trees :thumb:

Glad I posted it up then. I only wish we could take Rubicat or even Moby through it now. Unfortunately, they are both too wide now. :grayno:

Of course, I still love this shot that JeepFan posted up of his CJ back in 1985 going through the Chandelier Tree.

attachment.php

I remember these Redwoods

I remember doing this trip in 1967. Of course we did a bit more than Redwoods. We did the Griswald loop of the Western United States. Starting in Kansas, through OK, TX, AZ & NV using the southern route ending up at the Disney World Hotel. Dad lied about having reservations and they somehow found us a room. Told us we had to check in with the desk the following day. Of course dad blew them off and we were kicked out of the Disney World Hotel. But they put us up in a motel with a pool so we were happy. Of course mom & dad had a few words. After our crazy time in LA & Disney, we headed up the coast to San Fran where i got car sick on that famous brick street with all the turns in it. I don't remember the name of the street. However it is a famous San Fransisco landmark.

This trip was a long time ago and I don't remember all of it just some highlights, we drove our Oldsmobile Toronado through a few trees in the Redwoods. Then headed home taking the northern route back. One of my fondest memories of that trip was the high heat while at the Grand Canyon and Painted Desert. I was making imprints of my sneakers in the hot softened tar in the parking lots instead of looking at the scenery, hey, I was 7 years old.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane and opening up that section of memory...

It's like a deja vu, we just did that exact same trip last summer, I hadn't been through the redwoods for almost 40 years and before that probably another 10 when I was a kid, probably about ten years old. Thanks for the memory refresh.

Of course, I still love this shot that JeepFan posted up of his CJ back in 1985 going through the Chandelier Tree.

attachment.php

Ah, the infamous JeepFan CJ. I think this is the first picture I have seen of it.

Trip looked like it was very relaxing, hope you guys had a great time!

Looking at your Renny and RubiCat pics driving through all 3 trees reminded me of the time we drove our CJ7 through the Chandelier tree. I'm pretty sure we drove through the other 2 trees as well. Going to dig through the archives to see if I can find the pics. :crazyeyes:

We would love to head up that way again someday. :D

Top Bottom