Ride Quality Between a Gladiator and a JK

Jsouder53

Hooked
Lately I’ve been thinking about that Hennessy Performance Gladiator I drove. It drove so much smoother than my JK. So my question is, do gladiators drive that much smoother than JKUs? Or is it just that particular suspension setup? It was running King bypass shocks and and EVO short arm kit with plush ride coils most likely.

If Kings and Evo control arms make the ride that much better, I will be spending money on that once I get a bonus.

Bear_JT

Hooked
I’d say stock suspension to stock suspension, yes the gladiator does feel way better. My JKU was a Sport and My Gladiator is a Sport. I had Fox Performance series shocks with EVO coils on my JKU which made a big difference. But in stock form, I’m impressed how much I like the ride of my Gladiator.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Ride comfort is largely subjective. Honestly, in some respects, I think my JKURs with RS9000XL shocks and Rancho 2” springs (stock control arms) ride better on the freeway than my 2021 Rubicon Gladiator (bone stock).

The Gladiator tracks straighter, but it porpoises diagonally across the vehicle when hitting bumps at freeway speeds. IMHO, the stock Gladiator springs and shocks are WAY too soft. If you have any weight in the bed, the porpoising is even worse.

jasont0311

Caught the Bug
You're more than welcome to take mine out anytime. It won't be a stock to stock comparison though. Im running the 2 in mopar on 37's with 513 gears and a rtt aka my ship sail. Once I get my wife's never ending green house done Im swapping in the AEV 2.5.

So when are you buying a JT? 🤣

Stock to stock. The Gladiator is very smooth down the road like a 1980 Chrysler New Yorker. It’s a tuna boat and gently porpoises and rocks you to sleep. The JK was like riding on railroad tracks and there is something to be said about that in a good way. No rocking after the initial hard jounce of rolling over anything on the road such as bridge expansion joints. They both feel sure footed in a totally unique way.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Bone stock, the Gladiator will ride smoother if only because of it's longer wheel base. That said, yes, I think both the JL and especially the JT ride smoother than the JK did stock, totally comparing apples to apples.

Jsouder53

Hooked
You're more than welcome to take mine out anytime. It won't be a stock to stock comparison though. Im running the 2 in mopar on 37's with 513 gears and a rtt aka my ship sail. Once I get my wife's never ending green house done Im swapping in the AEV 2.5.
Maybe I’ll have to test it out up to twin lakes 😂
So when are you buying a JT? 🤣

Stock to stock. The Gladiator is very smooth down the road like a 1980 Chrysler New Yorker. It’s a tuna boat and gently porpoises and rocks you to sleep. The JK was like riding on railroad tracks and there is something to be said about that in a good way. No rocking after the initial hard jounce of rolling over anything on the road such as bridge expansion joints. They both feel sure footed in a totally unique way.
Haha not anytime soon. Just wanting to upgrade my current setup, seeing if shocks and control arms would change the ride quality that much. I loved how smooth that JT felt.
Bone stock, the Gladiator will ride smoother if only because of it's longer wheel base. That said, yes, I think both the JL and especially the JT ride smoother than the JK did stock, totally comparing apples to apples.
Thank you all for your input! Hopefully one day I’ll end up with a gladiator! As of now, just seeing what direction to go with for any modifications. I certainly suspected that the longer wheel was part of it.

benatc1

Hooked
Ride comfort is largely subjective. Honestly, in some respects, I think my JKURs with RS9000XL shocks and Rancho 2” springs (stock control arms) ride better on the freeway than my 2021 Rubicon Gladiator (bone stock).

The Gladiator tracks straighter, but it porpoises diagonally across the vehicle when hitting bumps at freeway speeds. IMHO, the stock Gladiator springs and shocks are WAY too soft. If you have any weight in the bed, the porpoising is even worse.
Anything to help that you think? I've noticed that too about going over bumps at speed, especially when turning

jasont0311

Caught the Bug
Maybe I’ll have to test it out up to twin lakes 😂

Haha not anytime soon. Just wanting to upgrade my current setup, seeing if shocks and control arms would change the ride quality that much. I loved how smooth that JT felt.

Thank you all for your input! Hopefully one day I’ll end up with a gladiator! As of now, just seeing what direction to go with for any modifications. I certainly suspected that the longer wheel was part of it.
I think she'll be ready this year!

benatc1

Hooked
I’m hoping stiffer springs and shocks, or coilovers. ;)
Im planning on going to evo 2.5 with shock extensions soon. I think even the plush rides will be stiffer than the Mojave springs. Ideally coilovers when these shocks wear out. Maybe you can tell me how the coilovers make all the difference lol

Sharkey

Word Ninja
With any luck, I can tell you by spring of next year. ;) May end up just doing King piggybacks though. I don’t plan on going over 37’s and coilovers might be overkill for me.

Top Bottom