Rig EDC: Chainsaw or Sawzall or both?

1RNGR

Caught the Bug
I tend to carry my M18 Impact gun. I'm considering starting to carry a chainsaw and will probably go with the M18 to share batteries with what I already have. But I'm wondering if a Sawzall might actually do more. It would limit the trees I could cut but would allow cutting of other items. What do you carry in your rig? I'm leaning towards going with just the chainsaw.

WJCO

Meme King
I carry both. I started carrying the chainsaw after I came across a large tree that blocked a trail and I had to turn around. It will likely seldom be used but if you have the room and are thinking about it, why not. But, there's more useable items that could fill that space instead. Carrying a sawzall isn't a bad idea anyways, especially if you carry wood blades and metal blades. Even if you have to cut a bent exhaust pipe or something minor like that.

Bullwinckle

Hooked
I plan on carrying a Milwaukee chainsaw as well once I get one. Yea the extra weight and space it will take up may not be beneficial but then again I have a Gladiator and soon a bed rack I could put it on so shouldn’t be too much a hassle. I figured better have one and not need it then not have one and be in a bind needing it. Just my two cents. 👍

I tend to carry my M18 Impact gun. I'm considering starting to carry a chainsaw and will probably go with the M18 to share batteries with what I already have. But I'm wondering if a Sawzall might actually do more. It would limit the trees I could cut but would allow cutting of other items. What do you carry in your rig? I'm leaning towards going with just the chainsaw.
Silky Kantaboy 500 manual saw (larger sizes are available). No batteries required and takes almost no space! Some perspiration may be required!

Someday I plan on buying a Milwaukee M18 electric chainsaw, which could be carried on a part-time basis.

Yeah, interesting thought. Never considered bringing a sawzall but if you have those long wood blades you could process small trees, firewood, and still have it for repairs. Cool idea.

AZVAJKU

Hooked
Part of it depends on where you wheeling. In Arizona I never had issues with trees blocking the road, even up north. In Virginia trees blocking the road is a common occurrence and on many trails there is no way to bypass. I’ll throw my Stihl in if I am going out to certain areas.

The Sawzall is great to have if nothing else you can trim a pinch seam if needed.

Personal I feel like the M18 chainsaw leaks worse than any other chainsaw I have owned. I wouldn’t recommend it for mobile use because of that.
I’ve heard people using regular vegetable oil instead of chain oil. Doesn’t smell and you could empty the reservoir so it doesn’t leak in your rig.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I’ve heard people using regular vegetable oil instead of chain oil. Doesn’t smell and you could empty the reservoir so it doesn’t leak in your rig.
If that’s worth it to you I guess. The viscosity of the two are different so I wonder how that would affect the saws performance.

Breer

Caught the Bug
Personal I feel like the M18 chainsaw leaks worse than any other chainsaw I have owned. I wouldn’t recommend it for mobile use because of that.
This is what I thought about immediately. I really like mine but it does go through a ton of bar oil. I think putting it inside a sealed dry bag or container of some sort would be a good idea and worth the effort. Trying to cut larger wood with a sawzall, even with a fresh blade, burns through my batteries pretty quickly.

Why1504

Caught the Bug
I plan to carry a foldable backpacker bow saw and possibly my small Milwaukee M18 saw. The Milwaukee will take care of 90% of the issues is light and small. The bow saw would only be used when a tree was blocking the road.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
This is what I thought about immediately. I really like mine but it does go through a ton of bar oil. I think putting it inside a sealed dry bag or container of some sort would be a good idea and worth the effort. Trying to cut larger wood with a sawzall, even with a fresh blade, burns through my batteries pretty quickly.
Yeah but then the next problem is the butt end on the M18 is huge and won’t work in any canvas type chainsaw bag that I’ve tried. Milwaukee sells a hard case but at $80 it’s a hard pass for me. 1/3 the price of the saw for a case? Fuck outta here Milwaukee.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If the tree is small enough for a sawzall to cut through, it's probably small enough to drive over too. As in, it's not even worth stopping for. If the tree is big enough to be a real obstruction, it's probably also one that'll take a lot of chain sawing to clear. And, as awesome as M18's are, I find it hard to think you'd have enough battery power to effectively clear something that big. Also, and maybe it's just me but every single time I've come across a fallen tree, it's been dead for a very long time and that takes a lot more effort to cut through. I've been doing a LOT of cutting of old dead trees with my gas powered 20" Husqvarna and can also tell you that they'll wear out chains in no time at all.

That said, I typically carry a sawzall on harder trips and mainly to work on Jeeps.

TrailHunter

Hooked
I carry the the smaller "Hackzall", a couple 9.0 batteries, a quick charger, 9" wood blades and some metal blades. Actually used it last time out to clear a 6-9" tree that had fallen at the campsite entrance. Worked great. I also carry a 26" axe just in case.

FFF1BED2-B312-45F4-9204-19F443382429.jpeg

Fishfam_jku

Caught the Bug
Just recently (last fall) started carrying a chainsaw on trips. With all the dead fall it comes in handy. Just a small 10in 20V Craftsman. Matches the Craftsman drills, impact and yard tools I already have.
I could see a sawzall working with an extended blade for dual purpose. I wouldn’t think it would be too useful clearing trail but cutting up some small firewood, ehh it will work in a pinch.
How I decide to pack the tools:
BowSaw - Always in the rig next to the Fire extinguisher and first aid.
Axe - Never at this point. Enough small deadfall I don’t need to be splitting logs.
Chainsaw - If I’m camping in the woods it’s going with me. Takes up less space than firewood. I will also pack it on exploratory trips I might expect to hit trails not yet forged for the year.
Sawzall - Honestly never carried one. Pack a few hacksaw blades and two different handles.
Grinder & Impact - Only on long and tough trips.

Top Bottom