RK, MC or EVO lower control arms?

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I would like to see a picture of this....

Quick Google search.
I don't really care what people run, but when someone asks "what's the best", Johnny joints are top dog.

Attachments

• 1427849233238.jpg
    1427849233238.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 185
What I see is a badly worn joint not a deformed one... Johnny Joints wear too or they wouldn't make a rebuild kit. I can just as easily do a search on them (or any joint) and post pictures, but any picture out of context hardly tells the story.

Don't get me wrong, JJs are great... but I have seen many not last any longer than my MC Joints already have for me. Does this mean I think MC is the only way to go? Absolutely not, but neither is Currie.

olram30

It's also nice to be able to grease joints with a zerk and not having to remove them, take them apart, and use special teflon impregnated duro grease. Just saying..

Jeepfan30

Good information guys, thanks for the information. Nobody running the new RK pro flex joints yet? I like the high clearance bend feature of my current RK arms, anybody have horror stories of a lower control actually impeding ground clearance while wheeling? I am leaning towards the MC arms right now based off feedback. Thanks,

Last edited:
Lol, that joint was 2 months old.

Please PM me a link to the picture source so I can read the details.

I've googled "Deformed Metalcloak Joint", "Bad Metalcloak Joint", "Worn Metalcloak Joint", and even just "Metalcloak Joint" and can't find it. Being that that end is welded it means the arm was manufactured prior to October 2012. I would've thought if this were a regular issue it would be more easily searched....:idontknow:

Buster3479

Reaching back in the last few years of memory, I can't think of a single time that "joint bind" was limiting my flex. I'm not sure I buy into any of the "high misalignment" joints. Perhaps I just don't push my Jeep hard enough to see it?

Last edited:

olram30

Please PM me a link to the picture source so I can read the details.

I've googled "Deformed Metalcloak Joint", "Bad Metalcloak Joint", "Worn Metalcloak Joint", and even just "Metalcloak Joint" and can't find it. Being that that end is welded it means the arm was manufactured prior to October 2012. I would've thought if this were a regular issue it would be more easily searched....:idontknow:

I found a picture right away, anyways, I already provided a picture that you asked for, I get that you are happy with your purchase.
But after time I've seen too many flaws with mc. Besides calling sports equipment jeep parts, remember that half a foot tall track bar bracket you ditched? Poor design. Their track bars don't fit dynatrac axles, seen track bars bend, c clips pop off on the joints. Their 6 pack shocks suck balls. I could keep going.
Like I said, I don't care what people run, but I won't recommend them, or ever purchase anything from them. These are just my opinions. I'm sure you're happy with your purchase and that's all that matters.

Reaching back in the last few years of memory, I can't think of a single time that "joint bind" was limiting my flex. I'm not sure I buy into any of the "high misalignment" joints. Perhaps I just don't push my Jeep hard enough.

I completely agree, I have all 8 aftermarket arms on my Jeep but only run aftermarket FLCAs and RUCAs on the wife's Jeep to correct caster and pinion angle. The stockers are fine!

I found a picture right away, anyways, I already provided a picture that you asked for, I get that you are happy with your purchase.
But after time I've seen too many flaws with mc. Besides calling sports equipment jeep parts, remember that half a foot tall track bar bracket you ditched? Poor design. Their track bars don't fit dynatrac axles, seen track bars bend, c clips pop off on the joints. Their 6 pack shocks suck balls. I could keep going.
Like I said, I don't care what people run, but I won't recommend them, or ever purchase anything from them. These are just my opinions. I'm sure you're happy with your purchase and that's all that matters.

I'm not sure you did.... I asked for a picture of the "deformed" joints you claimed. You provided a picture of a worn one.

I've never claimed that I think all MC parts are great. As you are aware, I am an open book when it comes to the good and bad products I've worked with. But I don't allow one product issue to cloud my opinions on all. Absolutely no aftermarket automotive product manufacturer is perfect.

olram30

I'm not sure you did.... I asked for a picture of the "deformed" joints you claimed. You provided a picture of a worn one.

I've never claimed that I think all MC parts are great. As you are aware, I am an open book when it comes to the good and bad products I've worked with. But I don't allow one product issue to cloud my opinions on all. Absolutely no aftermarket automotive product manufacturer is perfect.

Looks deformed, torn and worn out. I don't buy into their marketing efforts. Kinda like "virtual buckets".
I agree on that companies have hits and misses. Currie for example, I like their joints, arms and tie rod. Axles, not so much.

toxicwaste29

I was researching the MC arms one day and did find that picture of the 2 month old joint being deformed completely. If I remember right it was supposedly due to him running the MC joint on one end of his control arm and a jj on the other end. Not sure if this could actually matter or not.

aermotor

Good thread with lots of good info all ways. EVO and Curie have the proven track record for sure. I'm interested in the "maintenance free" factor of the Metalcloak joints/arms and I like that they keep the stock alignment of the arms and don't create binding. Yes you need to re-grease them after a while, but not even close to as often as you need to grease regular joints.

Time will tell how they hold up, but I've read reports of 2-3 years and still going. They do say if you don't run their bushings on both ends it voids the warranty because that can and I'm sure does create binding that doesn't happen on their arms with the bushings at both ends.

I've personally had c-clips pop off and that was due to installation error, so I always take that with a grain of salt when referring to a specific brand where their clips "just come off". If they are put it upside down and aren't FULLY seated I would expect any arm to pop. Maybe some companies make theirs flat on both sides with no rounded edge.

JDDK

I bought all mc front ca s and their trackbar and tierod...before I found Wayalife. Not a fanboy either but have 45k miles on them and still good. I had a popped clip (installer error) and the joint was wallowed on the metal sleeve. I called mc and they mailed a free one immediately. So far the ca s flex and ride great and the trackbar is great. Seen scary pics of bent tierods so I will be going elsewhere when I tweak mine.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all but I run a metalcloak trackbar on my front pr60. So it does work, but it doesn't on the rear 60 I had to go back to stock. I do think their tierod sucks but them have redesigned it since.

olram30

I'm not disagreeing with you at all but I run a metalcloak trackbar on my front pr60. So it does work, but it doesn't on the rear 60 I had to go back to stock. I do think their tierod sucks but them have redesigned it since.

That's strange, Wasn't it you that had trouble with the rear mc track bar? Clearance issues?

aermotor

I bought all mc front ca s and their trackbar and tierod...before I found Wayalife. Not a fanboy either but have 45k miles on them and still good. I had a popped clip (installer error) and the joint was wallowed on the metal sleeve. I called mc and they mailed a free one immediately. So far the ca s flex and ride great and the trackbar is great. Seen scary pics of bent tierods so I will be going elsewhere when I tweak mine.

Have you wheeled with them much? Interested to know how they flex and hold up.

Top Bottom