Road trip stop ideas?

noroad

Let us know when you're in the SF Bay Area. Beers on me. I've done the drive a few times when I moved and for a couple summers. It's really beautiful, so much America people hardly ever see. I'll try to think of cool places, but I pretty much drive straight through.

We will deff be in the SF bay area, was hoping to go there and the woods! ya thats why we want to try and see some of the biggest parts of our lands.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Based upon your route I recommend the following while you're in California:

The House of Prime Rib on Van Ness in San Francisco (contingent on: 1. You're a Meataterian and 2. You're a MAN 3. You make a reservation now) ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1430450630.666816.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1430450606.322297.jpg

Mojave Road from Barstow to Arizona, lots of stops along the way and a very scenic desert road.

Oh and if you are in Barstow stop by the Holiday Inn Express, Room 112, three knocks, the first soft, the last two hard. Then say: "I'm here to see my Uncle Rick about a '72 El Camino."

asullivan920

If you were going a little more north (northern WY and South West corner of SD) I would say Yellowstone National Park, Mount Rushmore National Memorial, Crazy Horse Memorial, and Badlands National park.

07JKSahara

X2 house of prime rib. Excellent.

Maybe a SnG when you're here. Us NorCal folks have been known to imbibe from time to time.

Last edited:

noroad

Based upon your route I recommend the following while you're in California:

The House of Prime Rib on Van Ness in San Francisco (contingent on: 1. You're a Meataterian and 2. You're a MAN 3. You make a reservation now)

Mojave Road from Barstow to Arizona, lots of stops along the way and a very scenic desert road.

Oh and if you are in Barstow stop by the Holiday Inn Express, Room 112, three knocks, the first soft, the last two hard. Then say: "I'm here to see my Uncle Rick about a '72 El Camino."

Wow 10frank9, that place looks amazing! added! As for the Mojave Road from Barstow to Arizona, just googled it looks like a nice scenic dirt road! how long does that take and were in Arizona does it end? very interested!

X2 house of prime rib. Excellent.

Maybe a SnG when you're here. Us NorCal folks have been known to imbibe from time to time.

Hell ya that would be cool a nice SnG!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Wow 10frank9, that place looks amazing! added! As for the Mojave Road from Barstow to Arizona, just googled it looks like a nice scenic dirt road! how long does that take and were in Arizona does it end? very interested!

Hell ya that would be cool a nice SnG!

It ends in Laughlin, Nevada. Three days is probably best but you can do the first half or second half in one day and then scoot up to vegas.

noroad

Yup. I did a trip report on it when we did it two years ago. If you go back to can find it. In that thread the stuff after the sand dunes is west of kelso Cima road (that road that goes north to vegas) and the stuff before is east of that.

Ok ill look for it is it under destinations? so this a nice day trip? would you do this alone or maybe see if others in the area want to join?

This one!
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?11849-Old-Mojave-Road-Run-10-18-10-20&highlight=Mojave+Road

Last edited:

noroad

You could do it alone. It's nothing hard but it is the desert and it will be HOT in July.

Thanks a TON to both of you! This is now on the list, maybe as it gets closer i will see if anyone wants to join but at least i know i can do it! I figured it will be hot but hopefully its that dry hot.

Edit: your pics sealed the deal!

Jackal01

I would stop by The Big Texan in Amarillo. I have eaten there a couple times on my way to CO and it is great. Fantastic steaks. :yup:

I only have these few pictures of it I think, unfortunately. The place is so much bigger in person. (Not my green JK, btw lol)

IMAG1258_zpse088r7f5.jpg

DSCN2955_zps92f01dcf.jpg

DSCN2960_zps25920dd8.jpg

Last edited:

Shantz

PCH is a must... SLO to Big Sur... and if you can swing it.... head north to Eureka for some Red Woods... and further north yet... Montana Glacier National Park... is absolutely amazing!

noroad

PCH is a must... SLO to Big Sur... and if you can swing it.... head north to Eureka for some Red Woods... and further north yet... Montana Glacier National Park... is absolutely amazing!

Sorry for being an west coast noob but what is SLO to big sur? PCH is route 1 right, that is a must drive for me and on the list! The red woods are also on the list big time not sure how far they are from SF bay area.

noroad

I would stop by The Big Texan in Amarillo. I have eaten there a couple times on my way to CO and it is great. Fantastic steaks. :yup:

I only have these few pictures of it I think, unfortunately. The place is so much bigger in person. (Not my green JK, btw lol)

haha nice gecko to bad lol, Thanks for the tip i will put that down!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Sorry for being an west coast noob but what is SLO to big sur? PCH is route 1 right, that is a must drive for me and on the list! The red woods are also on the list big time not sure how far they are from SF bay area.

San Luis Obispo.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
There is a holiday inn in barstow that is pretty nice. (Seriously, not the holiday inn that is in the jokes)

Top Bottom