Road trip stop ideas?

noroad

I would consider a side trip to see Mount Rushmore.

I really want to, but there is like no way to get there with out adding a ton of time. we only have fri, sat, and sunday to get there. we want to be in LT by 7 or 8 pm on sunday.

Shantz

Sorry for being an west coast noob but what is SLO to big sur? PCH is route 1 right, that is a must drive for me and on the list! The red woods are also on the list big time not sure how far they are from SF bay area.
Sorry to take so long to get back to you... yes, San Luis Obispo, Big Sur is just south of Santa Cruz. For Red Woods.. Muir Woods is just north of San Fran... but the big boys :shock: are at the Avenue of the Giants... just south of Eureka.

UpsideUp

It sounds like Hwy 1 is on your must do list but of I could suggest something?
I would skip 1. It's beautiful and has great scenery, but nothing that compares to Yosemite. Drive from Tahoe through the Sierras...see where all the wheeling takes place in the mountains, , hit the Valley, then after Yosemite Valley take the side road to the Sequoia and see the largest trees in the world. All right in the same spot!
There is so much to see you will be amazed and it will leave a lasting impression. Then stay South to LV.
The 1 is a long, slow, over crowded drive that looks the same all the way down. But that's just my opinion of course.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Any particular reason why you are going through i80 vs i70? I80 really really sucks, and has a lot more traffic than i70, especially around Chicago. I'd take i70 if I were you. Why are you missing Colorado and Utah? Not places I'd want to miss if I have a jeep.

noroad

Sorry to take so long to get back to you... yes, San Luis Obispo, Big Sur is just south of Santa Cruz. For Red Woods.. Muir Woods is just north of San Fran... but the big boys :shock: are at the Avenue of the Giants... just south of Eureka.

Thanks man! i think we will have to stick to the red woods this trip as Eureaka is a little high up off the path we have picked, but some day i will go there!

It sounds like Hwy 1 is on your must do list but of I could suggest something?
I would skip 1. It's beautiful and has great scenery, but nothing that compares to Yosemite. Drive from Tahoe through the Sierras...see where all the wheeling takes place in the mountains, , hit the Valley, then after Yosemite Valley take the side road to the Sequoia and see the largest trees in the world. All right in the same spot!
There is so much to see you will be amazed and it will leave a lasting impression. Then stay South to LV.
The 1 is a long, slow, over crowded drive that looks the same all the way down. But that's just my opinion of course.

I cant skip it how many times will i have my jeep out there on a epic road trip, its kinda been on my bucket list to drive it in my jeep! Yosemite is sweet we are spending a couple days in the Lake Tahoe area to explore this might be on the list. thanks for the input i really like what i have been hearing!

Any particular reason why you are going through i80 vs i70? I80 really really sucks, and has a lot more traffic than i70, especially around Chicago. I'd take i70 if I were you. Why are you missing Colorado and Utah? Not places I'd want to miss if I have a jeep.

We are taking I80 as it is the one that has the fastest time out to upper CA with out to much up or down traveling. I70 just does a little to much of that for us trying to get out there in a hurry. we might be missing it for now but i still have Moab after this!

Shantz

Muir Woods is just as awesome... only 30 minutes north of San Fran... it's pretty nice... have fun... I've driven cross country about 7 times and it never gets old.

If your looking for some wheeling on the way back, hit Windrock OHV just west of Knoxville. It was one of the stops on this years East coast JKX. 70,000 acres with some killer trails.

noroad

Muir Woods is just as awesome... only 30 minutes north of San Fran... it's pretty nice... have fun... I've driven cross country about 7 times and it never gets old.

O thats not to far! also first time driving so it will be fun!

If your looking for some wheeling on the way back, hit Windrock OHV just west of Knoxville. It was one of the stops on this years East coast JKX. 70,000 acres with some killer trails.

Thats a good idea thanks ill have to google that some!

JeepJam

So we have a pretty big road trip coming up in July here and were wondering if people wouldn't mind sharing must see stops on our route or close to it! Ill give a small idea of what we think we want do, as we are still on the wing idea!

We are mainly going to be taking I80 out, Route 1 as along as we can, any road to las Vegas lol. With I40 being the main path back to the east maybe I81 or I95 home from there! The way out is pretty set in stone and pretty direct, so that is kinda limited, we are really interested in the road home were we have some time to lose! So any good food places, maybe some wheeling spots that type of stuff! thanks guys, Maybe ill see you along the way!
View attachment 140416
Map is just for help.

Towns we think we might stay over night
San Fran
Las Vegas,NV
Albuquerque, NM
little rock, AR
Memphis, TN
D.C.
Open to others!

Along I-40 in Arizona is Petrified Forest nat'l park, Cool scenery there, but no 4 wheeling

Steamboat

I found an Android app called Field Trip that notifies you when you're near interesting things. You can filter the results to suit your own interests, it's pretty neat. Not sure if there's an iPhone version.

Shantz

You know Interstate 40 cuts through Winslow AZ... where you can stand on a corner... it's such a fine sight to see.

Top Bottom