Rock jock 60's blowing oil out everywhere....help.....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Found some issues when I opened up the rear diff. Found 3 broken teeth on my gear set and also found 4 stress cracks and all the bolt heads on the ARB sheered off. Oh well, all in good fun. Just not very nice on the pocket book...

WTF, all in good fun?? Maybe it's just me but the whole point of getting a 60 is so that you don't have to deal with shit like this. Sadly, this is something that I have seen with Rock Jock 60's time and time again.

Also, how did you not hear this?

Holster642

I honestly dont know what happened. We went to EJS and St George Utah a few times. I also just ran like 150 miles this last weekend on the dunes and desert, but didn't do anything crazy. Weird thing about the whole deal is that this thing was as quite as a church mouse(if a mouse was running 38's and a loud hemi). I think maybe I weak ind it on one of the trips and it finally gave way.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I honestly dont know what happened. We went to EJS and St George Utah a few times. I also just ran like 150 miles this last weekend on the dunes and desert, but didn't do anything crazy. Weird thing about the whole deal is that this thing was as quite as a church mouse(if a mouse was running 38's and a loud hemi). I think maybe I weak ind it on one of the trips and it finally gave way.

I don't know, I've broken my fair share of ring and pinions and I have NEVER not heard it even with a set of 40" Mud Grapplers. Hell, even when a friend of mine running a HEMI and 40" Mud Grapplers broke a tooth, I could totally hear it. But, maybe it's just me. That being said, it still bugs me every time I hear about another Rock Jock having issues like this. Glad you can take it with a smile because I don't know if I could.

Holster642

I don't know, I've broken my fair share of ring and pinions and I have NEVER not heard it even with a set of 40" Mud Grapplers. Hell, even when a friend of mine running a HEMI and 40" Mud Grapplers broke a tooth, I could totally hear it. But, maybe it's just me. That being said, it still bugs me every time I hear about another Rock Jock having issues like this. Glad you can take it with a smile because I don't know if I could.

I believe you on that, I own a heavy truck parts company and have seen and heard them. This time I had the oil spew issue and decided to pull the cover to check and service them and hello chunks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Came as a package and a company in Logan Utah installed them while doing my long arm kit.

So, I can only assume that the Rock Jock came assembled right from Currie and with that, I have to wonder how in the hell does an ARB bolt just sheer off?

Holster642

So, I can only assume that the Rock Jock came assembled right from Currie and with that, I have to wonder how in the hell does an ARB bolt just sheer off?

I googled ARB bolt sheer off and a few things popped up and so that is what I assume happened. Only thing I can think of is that under a crazy load or bind something had to give, I would think a axle shaft or gear set would brake first but who knows. The carrier also has 4 1" ish stress cracks directly outside of where it is machined out for the sliding plastic collar.

WJCO

Meme King
I googled ARB bolt sheer off and a few things popped up and so that is what I assume happened. Only thing I can think of is that under a crazy load or bind something had to give, I would think a axle shaft or gear set would brake first but who knows. The carrier also has 4 1" ish stress cracks directly outside of where it is machined out for the sliding plastic collar.

Typically a bolt shearing is from improper torque or rust(unlikely inside a diff), but I guess it could happen. If you have 4 stress cracks, I'd say that may be where the problem lies, hard to say.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Sounds like pure quality right there. You mind posting some photos of the stress cracks? Interested in what could've cause that.

Holster642

Sounds like pure quality right there. You mind posting some photos of the stress cracks? Interested in what could've cause that.

Yeah I will grab a few pic's tomorrow. They start right where the machining is and end where it stops. No guessing on where the weak spot is. ARB also discontinued the model not sure if it has anything to do with it or just changed a few things.

WJCO

Meme King
Yeah I will grab a few pic's tomorrow. They start right where the machining is and end where it stops. No guessing on where the weak spot is. ARB also discontinued the model not sure if it has anything to do with it or just changed a few things.

I'd be interested to see some pics on this too.

Top Bottom