Rock krawler track bar bracket break

seanb123

Just an update rock krawler called to say they sent out the replacement but did tell me that this one has to be welded so for anyone with their lifts I guess it would be smart to weld yours on

Dark_Star

Right, and I'm questioning why it's just a "recommendation" and not a "requirement" if failure to weld it on WILL cause it to break.

Actually I have their 2.5" lift in my jeep, and their instructions do say to weld the bracket into place before taking the jeep offroad! I'm surprised they actually warrantee it! Good on rock krawler!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Actually I have their 2.5" lift in my jeep, and their instructions do say to weld the bracket into place before taking the jeep offroad! I'm surprised they actually warrantee it! Good on rock krawler!

Well, I'm glad that they are including that caveat now. Don't know too many guys who are just wanting to install a 2.5" lift that are willing to weld on a bracket that even companies like TeraFlex don't need to due to their design but hey, if you're cool with it, more power to you.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Well, I'm glad that they are including that caveat now. Don't know too many guys who are just wanting to install a 2.5" lift that are willing to weld on a bracket that even companies like TeraFlex don't need to due to their design but hey, if you're cool with it, more power to you.

Yeah, even teraflex uses a clamp and also bolts to the control arm. Surprised rk hasn't changed their design

Dark_Star

Yeah, even teraflex uses a clamp and also bolts to the control arm. Surprised rk hasn't changed their design

I personally would rather have a piece welded on rather then clamped or bolted on!

Not everybody has the money for a top dollar lift kit. And that's why I bought it. It was the best bang for the buck, or was at the time when I bought it! And I trust a weld over a clamp any day. That being said the lift on my jeep doesn't reflect my mechanical abilities or skills! And ya I'm cool with it!

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I personally would rather have a piece welded on rather then clamped or bolted on!

Not everybody has the money for a top dollar lift kit. And that's why I bought it. It was the best bang for the buck, or was at the time when I bought it! And I trust a weld over a clamp any day. That being said the lift on my jeep doesn't reflect my mechanical abilities or skills! And ya I'm cool with it!

I think you misunderstood, almost every company, evo, teraflex,metal cloke, synergy just to name a few started using c clamps and you also weld. not sure why you are getting defensive about your lift or mechanical abilities or skills.

Attachments

• 1397740918315.jpg
    1397740918315.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 116

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

So would I. I'm just saying that most people looking at a budget lift like yours don't have the means or even ability to weld. These are things that others would have to factor in to the cost of going this route. Of course, if I were going to go that route, I personally would prefer to burn in better designed bracket but, that's just me.

Not everybody has the money for a top dollar lift kit. And that's why I bought it. It was the best bang for the buck, or was at the time when I bought it! And I trust a weld over a clamp any day.

Please, if best bang for your buck was the reason you got this kit, there are cheaper kits that come with better designed brackets that don't require welding and won't break. I'm no fan of TeraFlex because of all the Chinese crap they make and have seen break but I can assure you, their rear track bar relocation bracket isn't one of them and it doesn't require welding.

That being said the lift on my jeep doesn't reflect my mechanical abilities or skills! And ya I'm cool with it.

Cool, you're a badass. Have a good day :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think you misunderstood, almost every company, evo, teraflex,metal cloke, synergy just to name a few started using c clamps and you also weld.

No, he got it right. While you are correct, I was trying to point out that there are cheaper kits out there that I have seen work surprisingly well and don't require welding. This is not to say that I don't prefer welding, it's just that if budget is such a factor as it is for most people, needing have something welded on will kick up the cost of the kit. Of course, if you have the money, means and ability - yeah, it is the better way to go but, most people I know looking at a 2.5" kit does not.

not sure why you are getting defensive about your lift or mechanical abilities or skills.

Because we're talking about a product that he's chosen to buy and that means we're questioning his manhood or something :naw:

seanb123

Sorry I'm late to the party but have to say this is a fail for RK I'll be the first to say it I should have gotten a better designed track bar bracket. I bought this because there was suppose to be no welding now later down the I'm okay with that now. But it's a flaw in their design to have their most basic kits need welding

Dark_Star

So would I. I'm just saying that most people looking at a budget lift like yours don't have the means or even ability to weld. These are things that others would have to factor in to the cost of going this route. Of course, if I were going to go that route, I personally would prefer to burn in better designed bracket but, that's just me.

Please, if best bang for your buck was the reason you got this kit, there are cheaper kits that come with better designed brackets that don't require welding and won't break. I'm no fan of TeraFlex because of all the Chinese crap they make and have seen break but I can assure you, their rear track bar relocation bracket isn't one of them and it doesn't require welding.

Cool, you're a badass. Have a good day :thumb:

Better designed bracket? Lol if he followed instructions and welded the bracket the way your suppose to we wouldn't be talking about this right now! Without welding, the rock krawler bracket is only taking its strength from the stock bracket and thus needs to be welded!! I would agree however that if you were to just bolt on the brackets the teraflex would hold up much better!

Dark_Star

No, he got it right. While you are correct, I was trying to point out that there are cheaper kits out there that I have seen work surprisingly well and don't require welding. This is not to say that I don't prefer welding, it's just that if budget is such a factor as it is for most people, needing have something welded on will kick up the cost of the kit. Of course, if you have the money, means and ability - yeah, it is the better way to go but, most people I know looking at a 2.5" kit does not.

Because we're talking about a product that he's chosen to buy and that means we're questioning his manhood or something :naw:

Didn't want a "cheaper" lift. At the time I purchased my lift, it was the best bang for the buck! And believe me I looked at every manufacturer, and rock krawler had the best kit to lift a jku 2.5" properly! I would agree that most people that by a 2.5" lift don,t weld or want to pay someone to weld, that's why I said the lift doesn't reflect ones abilities. Wasn't meant to be defensive.

seanb123

Better designed bracket? Lol if he followed instructions and welded the bracket the way your suppose to we wouldn't be talking about this right now! Without welding, the rock krawler bracket is only taking its strength from the stock bracket and thus needs to be welded!! I would agree however that if you were to just bolt on the brackets the teraflex would hold up much better!

I have had this kit for a while and when I questioned rk about the kit before I got it they said no welding. If I did have to wld at the time I would have shyed away. It is poor design to to tell me no welding and then say well it's only strong if you weld. A strong design would have been a bolt on for the non weld kit that they told me I was buying.

Dark_Star

I have had this kit for a while and when I questioned rk about the kit before I got it they said no welding. If I did have to wld at the time I would have shyed away. It is poor design to to tell me no welding and then say well it's only strong if you weld. A strong design would have been a bolt on for the non weld kit that they told me I was buying.

Ya I'm sry they mislead you. However it says weld before you go off-roading right in the instructions!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Didn't want a "cheaper" lift. At the time I purchased my lift, it was the best bang for the buck! And believe me I looked at every manufacturer, and rock krawler had the best kit to lift a jku 2.5" properly!

To be clear, that is just your opinion and based on the experience of only running this one lift kit that you have chosen to buy.

I would agree that most people that by a 2.5" lift don,t weld or want to pay someone to weld

Well, at least we're on the same page with that. The OP wouldn't have gotten this kit had he known welding was required. That really was my point.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I would agree however that if you were to just bolt on the brackets the teraflex would hold up much better!

And, as much as I don't like Teraflex products, this is why I would say they have a better designed bracket. Weld it on and it would be even stronger than the RK.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I understand where you're coming from and really, my comment wasn't really directed toward you. I just get annoyed when companies go off telling people about how great their warranties are when really, I'd rather have confidence in knowing that they've just made a superior product that won't need to be warrantied.

The " I can sh!t in a box and mark it guaranteed" scene from Tommy Boy comes to mind...

From a consumer standpoint...if a company said "Our products are bulletproof, but there are no guarantees" I don't think it will go well, although in reality, I agree 100% with you.

Dark_Star

To the op. Get your replacement bracket, weld it on and be done with it. You won't brake it.

Top Bottom