Rock krawler X Factor mid arms

deezus

for what its worth i had nothing but problems with the rear of my 3.5" XFactor

-coils bowed really bad
-moving the sway bar back an inch then had my swaybar bolts shear off
-rear track bar would sometimes contact the diff cover (poison spyder cover)
-rear trackbar bracket hit the driver side shock body (Bill 5100s)
-rear passenger bump stop hit the frame side trackbar mount

think thats it haha i also had a problem with their poly bushings wear out and when i called them and sent them pictures all they said was hummm thats wierd they shouldnt do that and then made me pay full price for new ones, BUT i dont think they are using those bushings anymore

I ended up pulling their rear arms out and put in a set of Currie uppers and stock lowers and moved my swaybar back to stock location and that fixed most the issues. Pretty sure the bumpstop still hit the trackbar mount and the shock was pretty damn close to the relocation bracket.

View attachment 251966
View attachment 251967
View attachment 251968
View attachment 251969
View attachment 251970
What year jeep and what year did you buy your X factor?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

What year jeep and what year did you buy your X factor?

it was on my old 08 JKUR bought the lift in 2012

last time i looked at their new kits though last year i think they did away with the poly bushings, and they may have changed a few other things since then to address those issues i had especially since it seems like i wasnt the only one that had those same exact issues

desertrunner

it was on my old 08 JKUR bought the lift in 2012

last time i looked at their new kits though last year i think they did away with the poly bushings, and they may have changed a few other things since then to address those issues i had especially since it seems like i wasnt the only one that had those same exact issues

This is the new version of what i bought and from the looks of it they have newer joints and the rear track bar bracket looks different so who knows maybe its better now

http://www.rockkrawler.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=JK35XF-4

Ddays

Hooked
for what its worth i had nothing but problems with the rear of my 3.5" XFactor

-coils bowed really bad
-moving the sway bar back an inch then had my swaybar bolts shear off
-rear track bar would sometimes contact the diff cover (poison spyder cover)
-rear trackbar bracket hit the driver side shock body (Bill 5100s)
-rear passenger bump stop hit the frame side trackbar mount

think thats it haha i also had a problem with their poly bushings wear out and when i called them and sent them pictures all they said was hummm thats wierd they shouldnt do that and then made me pay full price for new ones, BUT i dont think they are using those bushings anymore

I ended up pulling their rear arms out and put in a set of Currie uppers and stock lowers and moved my swaybar back to stock location and that fixed most the issues. Pretty sure the bumpstop still hit the trackbar mount and the shock was pretty damn close to the relocation bracket.

Yup^^ all of this. I didn't move my sway bat back though.

I replaced my front LCA's because one of the ends was seized. I ended up replacing them with Curries. Here's the difference between the ends.

0304171224.jpg

0304171225.jpg

If it were up to me I'd return the RK's & get a set of Currie, Clayton, or EVO's. They all use this same Johnny Joint end and aren't a pain in the ass to get installed properly.

I replaced my front LCA's because one of the ends was seized. I ended up replacing them with Curries. Here's the difference between the ends.

View attachment 251985

View attachment 251986

If it were up to me I'd return the RK's & get a set of Currie, Clayton, or EVO's. They all use this same Johnny Joint end and aren't a pain in the ass to get installed properly.

When you posted this picture a while ago, this is what sold me on going with a kit with JJ's. I was really close to getting the RK long-arms, and ended up going with the EVO arms. Can't wait to have those joints under my rig!

Ddays

Hooked
When you posted this picture a while ago, this is what sold me on going with a kit with JJ's. I was really close to getting the RK long-arms, and ended up going with the EVO arms. Can't wait to have those joints under my rig!

This whole business is frustrating isn't it? You think you're getting the best and then find out that there was something else out there better. That's what I love about this site - there is such a huge variety of rigs and guys running different stuff
that you can always get good honest feedback. :thumb:

Hey man, congrats on the new gig! #1 analyst on CBS sports!! Whoot! ;)

deezus

View attachment 251985

View attachment 251986

My RK ends are 1" in size. Definitely bigger than your picture. Unless the Currie is 1 1/2". Thise Curries are beefier though but to me have less articulation ability than the RK. That being said my next CAs will be Currie, but ill keep my springs and I'll install it myself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
My RK ends are 1" in size. Definitely bigger than your picture. Unless the Currie is 1 1/2". Thise Curries are beefier though but to me have less articulation ability than the RK.

Nope, those are the big ends of the RK's. The Curries are that much bigger. As far as less articulation, can't get more than this. You can't articulate past the bump stops. :idontknow:

EDIT: Clarification: That joint is from the front LCA. The comparison is between what Currie & RK use for that particular arm. I believe the difference holds for the rear arms as well.

rc2.jpg

rc3.jpg

Last edited:
This whole business is frustrating isn't it? You think you're getting the best and then find out that there was something else out there better. That's what I love about this site - there is such a huge variety of rigs and guys running different stuff
that you can always get good honest feedback. :thumb:

Hey man, congrats on the new gig! #1 analyst on CBS sports!! Whoot! ;)

Thanks man! Now I am just praying I don't throw my back out the first time I drop my mic :)

:cheesy: :clap2:
In all seriousness, I always thought he was a pretty cool guy. He should do well there.

Growing up in Philadelphia and being an Eagles fan all my life, I always hated the Cowboys and poked fun at Romo. But he really is a class act and a great personality. Not to mention how well he took the whole backseat to Dak deal. It'll be fun listening to him on camera...for me, like looking into a mirror :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

deezus

Hmmm, the RK kits have been using stock lengths for over a year now. You could do the 1" stretch but you dont have to, even if your like me and dont quite have your lines down. Lol

20160717_105914.jpg

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
Hmmm, the RK kits have been using stock lengths for over a year now. You could do the 1" stretch but you dont have to.. View attachment 252008

I got my kit in August 2015 and I did get the stupid 1" stretch. I honestly don't know if I HAD to get them at that time or not, but it sounded like a good idea. :grayno:
With the standard length most if not all the issues I had would not have shown up. I'm not saying the RK is a bad kit or that the arms are no good, just that after seeing the JJ & RK ends side
by side I know which ones I'd rather have.

deezus

My only issue with my kit is the upper RCAs, very difficult to set up. The first companyvthat comes out with a jig for arms will get my money.

denvermatt

I agree about the mid arm term being a marketing thing. The only question though is when you look at the new updated 2016 instructions, they set the lengths differently for there regular control arms and the x factor control. But when you check out there website you can't buy the "x factor" control arms seperate from an entire kit just "regular" adjustable control arms. Any thoughts?

deezus

From what I know, the arms are the same. It's how you set it up that makes the difference. I'll talk to a friend of mine in another forum and see what he says.

sunnysideup

I have a mix... have tried different parts to make it all work they way I wanted... and I have had to build in "stages". I have the RK rear upper and lower X(mid) arms... and just their lowers on the front. I got the arms used and very cheap, I replaced the joints and have had good luck with them so far... but they were a pain to set up. Moving the swaybar on the rear was easy... and it does center the wheel nicely under the rear fender. Since I did not buy a kit... I have Curries 4 inch dual rate springs all around, and a rear JKs trackbar... rancho rear links... teraflex bump stops, mountain goat wedges... all installed at different times as the JK grew up. I run King adjustables with resivors all around for shocks. The Front has metal cloak uppers.

However all of that works out... I don't think the mixed parts have anything to do with the RK bushings easily being worn or ruined. I have found loading the jeep real heavy, and driving a thousand miles on the highway will take out the rear lower arm bushings. I've done it twice moving My daughter out to her dorm. Both times the lower bushings were shot after having a lot of weight on the rear of the Jeep. The front ones have been pretty good, but I have had to replace them once too. You start getting a goofy vibration when those bushings oval out... replace and the ride is normal again.

I think the RK arms lack the damping that some of the rubber based joints offer... but they do flex really well. When we get twisty... they really extend well, it's really pretty amazing to watch them flex out. It is their strong point. The bushings and the extra work installing are probably the bad points. I have a new batch of bushings to put in, I keep thinking they are going ot improve upon them so they last better some day... and they might have?

Hope they work great for you, lubricate them a lot... and replace the bushings as they don't tend to last more than 10,000 miles and less- or check them out if you put a lot of weight in the jeep.

Ddays

Hooked
I have a mix... have tried different parts to make it all work they way I wanted... and I have had to build in "stages". I have the RK rear upper and lower X(mid) arms... and just their lowers on the front. I got the arms used and very cheap, I replaced the joints and have had good luck with them so far... but they were a pain to set up. Moving the swaybar on the rear was easy... and it does center the wheel nicely under the rear fender. Since I did not buy a kit... I have Curries 4 inch dual rate springs all around, and a rear JKs trackbar... rancho rear links... teraflex bump stops, mountain goat wedges... all installed at different times as the JK grew up. I run King adjustables with resivors all around for shocks. The Front has metal cloak uppers.

However all of that works out... I don't think the mixed parts have anything to do with the RK bushings easily being worn or ruined. I have found loading the jeep real heavy, and driving a thousand miles on the highway will take out the rear lower arm bushings. I've done it twice moving My daughter out to her dorm. Both times the lower bushings were shot after having a lot of weight on the rear of the Jeep. The front ones have been pretty good, but I have had to replace them once too. You start getting a goofy vibration when those bushings oval out... replace and the ride is normal again.

I think the RK arms lack the damping that some of the rubber based joints offer... but they do flex really well. When we get twisty... they really extend well, it's really pretty amazing to watch them flex out. It is their strong point. The bushings and the extra work installing are probably the bad points. I have a new batch of bushings to put in, I keep thinking they are going ot improve upon them so they last better some day... and they might have?

Hope they work great for you, lubricate them a lot... and replace the bushings as they don't tend to last more than 10,000 miles and less- or check them out if you put a lot of weight in the jeep.

How does your rear track bar sit in relation to the coils? Any clearance issues? I had to replace the RK bar with the stock one & it clears the diff now. Also, does the upper fame track bar mounting bracket hit your bump stop?

Top Bottom