Rock lights

Atch

I too use the walmart lights, rockburners I believe they are called. I have never really used them for night wheeling but I did turn them on on the sunset pancake rock run.:cheesy:

I just installed these as well, they are called platinum burners. I was surprised by how much light they throw out.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, the platnum burners are cheap, readily available at any Walmart and easy to install. They put out a lot of light and, if you break one, they are cheap and easy to replace. :yup:

ttfhell

Thanks for posting up the write up, sounds like I've got something to do this weekend. I want to put a set in the rear as well for airing up at night etc. does anyone know if a single switch can run both? Parallel I guess? I don't really need any more switches.
Thanks
Russ

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for posting up the write up, sounds like I've got something to do this weekend. I want to put a set in the rear as well for airing up at night etc. does anyone know if a single switch can run both? Parallel I guess? I don't really need any more switches.
Thanks
Russ

You can but, you'll want to run a relay.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
For those of you that haven't done it yet, here is a little tip.

There are two styles of the platinum burners, one oval and one square, like pictured below.

$(KGrHqZHJFMF!N-QY8jrBQitSo,WmQ~~60_1.JPG

DSC06512.jpg

If you buy the oval ones you will have to replace the bolt that holds the grille on with another one that does not have the washer attached. The light will not fit onto the bracket without changing that bolt out. This one is similar to the stock one,

hex_washer_sems_bolt.jpg

You need just a regular bolt with no washer.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
For those of you that haven't done it yet, here is a little tip.

There are two styles of the platinum burners, one oval and one square, like pictured below.

$(KGrHqZHJFMF!N-QY8jrBQitSo,WmQ~~60_1.JPG

DSC06512.jpg

If you buy the oval ones you will have to replace the bolt that holds the grille on with another one that does not have the washer attached. The light will not fit onto the bracket without changing that bolt out. This one is similar to the stock one,

hex_washer_sems_bolt.jpg

You need just a regular bolt with no washer.

So I should just buy the square ones?

MTG

Caught the Bug
Did you run both positives and negatives from both sets directly to the same relay? Or is there something more exotic?
Thanks

If I remember right we grounded the lights where we mounted them, ran the positive to the relay, powered the relay and ran the switch to the relay from inside the cab.

Maybe Sharkey will jump in if that's wrong. I rely on him for all things electrical. :)

Edit: we also put in a fuse between the battery and the relay.

ttfhell

Much appreciated. Going to give it a shot in about twenty.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
If I remember right we grounded the lights where we mounted them, ran the positive to the relay, powered the relay and ran the switch to the relay from inside the cab.

Maybe Sharkey will jump in if that's wrong. I rely on him for all things electrical. :)

Edit: we also put in a fuse between the battery and the relay.

Yep, ground on the frame and positive to the relay. Definitely fuse the relay.

ttfhell

Yep, ground on the frame and positive to the relay. Definitely fuse the relay.

Thanks. Where did you guys mount the rear lights if you don't mind me asking? I was going to just screw into the frame rails as the tape looks like it would last about a minute.
Thanks again.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks. Where did you guys mount the rear lights if you don't mind me asking? I was going to just screw into the frame rails as the tape looks like it would last about a minute.
Thanks again.

I run a Dynomax exhaust and the area where the muffler was is open. I used an existing stud attached to the bottom of the tub to mount one light there.

attachment.php

ttfhell

Looks good. I have a smaller magnaflow muffler up there but this gives me some ideas.
Thanks

TheDuff

Looks sweet Russ! Now you can help me install mine! Hehehe

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom