Rock sliders for JL

Jackboeker83

I’m looking at rock sliders and not sure which one to go with. Evo vs Rocky’s rock sliders (links below). Evo look beefy and good but they are 400 dollars more than the Rusty’s and I would still have to powder coat them. The Rusty’s are close to the body which I like and seem to sit higher above the frame. Anyone have experience with either one? Also not sure if Rusty’s is compatible with the Evo HCLA. Any input would be welcomed.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Going strictly off the design of both, I would have to go with EVO as I have personally seen them in action and can tell you first hand that they are designed to take a beating. That said, I too would have a hard time paying as much as they want for a set and this is coming from someone who is a good friend of theirs.

Rusty makes quality products and there's a lot of things that I like of theirs and would say is better than EVO such as their tire carrier. However, looking at the design of these rocker guards, I'm not sure I'm feeling them. They look nice enough but the webbing in between looks like they'd get beat up and don't look like they'd offer much in way of strength or support from hard hits. However, I have not seen them being put to the test so that's just by best guess and based on what I can see.

Jackboeker83

Going strictly off the design of both, I would have to go with EVO as I have personally seen them in action and can tell you first hand that they are designed to take a beating. That said, I too would have a hard time paying as much as they want for a set and this is coming from someone who is a good friend of theirs.

Rusty makes quality products and there's a lot of things that I like of theirs and would say is better than EVO such as their tire carrier. However, looking at the design of these rocker guards, I'm not sure I'm feeling them. They look nice enough but the webbing in between looks like they'd get beat up and don't look like they'd offer much in way of strength or support from hard hits. However, I have not seen them being put to the test so that's just by best guess and based on what I can see.
Thanks for the quick reply. I have been leaning towards the Evo and I think that’s probably what I’m going to go with.

Andy5160

Hooked
When I was look to get a set Rusty’s sliders were indeed on my radar. At the time it made sense to get them however I always loved EVO once and been holding on and waiting for a few weeks for them to finally release them. So when they did it was no brained for me. As Eddie mentioned Rusty’s do make quality product and I am confident they would get the job done on the trail. EVO bombers is an option and I was seriously considering them. If budget is something you need to keep in mind I would go with Rusty’s. Also their powder coating is top quality, better then what I got at my local shop and it was $200 each I believe so keep that extra cost in mind.

Jackboeker83

When I was look to get a set Rusty’s sliders were indeed on my radar. At the time it made sense to get them however I always loved EVO once and been holding on and waiting for a few weeks for them to finally release them. So when they did it was no brained for me. As Eddie mentioned Rusty’s do make quality product and I am confident they would get the job done on the trail. EVO bombers is an option and I was seriously considering them. If budget is something you need to keep in mind I would go with Rusty’s. Also their powder coating is top quality, better then what I got at my local shop and it was $200 each I believe so keep that extra cost in mind.
I don’t want to sound pretentious or whatever but cost isn’t really a concern. I would rather save up the extra month or whatever to get the right stuff the first time. I was just looking at the design difference and seeing if anyone had some thoughts. I’m not a huge fan of the bombers. I do think I am going to get the rear bumper delete from Rusty’s and the fascia that covers the back end and that’s what kind of made me think of going with their sliders as well.

Andy5160

Hooked
I don’t want to sound pretentious or whatever but cost isn’t really a concern. I would rather save up the extra month or whatever to get the right stuff the first time. I was just looking at the design difference and seeing if anyone had some thoughts. I’m not a huge fan of the bombers. I do think I am going to get the rear bumper delete from Rusty’s and the fascia that covers the back end and that’s what kind of made me think of going with their sliders as well.
Noted. I have their facia and the rear corners installed. Love the look. May be someone else here can get you more information on Rusty’s sliders.

CalSgt

Hooked
I'd be willing to bet the EVO is the only slider that works with their HCLA brackets, at least without extensive modification. I shopped for months on end for a slider that would work with EVO long arms, there was nothing available and the EVO sliders were about two weeks away from production. I ended up having to make my own.

If the EVO would have been available at the time I would have ponied up the cash for a set and saved myself 5 weekends of fabrication.

I’m looking at rock sliders and not sure which one to go with. Evo vs Rocky’s rock sliders (links below). Evo look beefy and good but they are 400 dollars more than the Rusty’s and I would still have to powder coat them. The Rusty’s are close to the body which I like and seem to sit higher above the frame. Anyone have experience with either one? Also not sure if Rusty’s is compatible with the Evo HCLA. Any input would be welcomed.
The EVO JL sliders absolutely work with their long arm kit and are extremely beefy. They provide a ton of surface area to weld up to the frame as well. I will have a set here that are installed already if you want/need any specific pictures of them for reference, happy to help. Last I checked, these are also in stock ready to go but can confirm for ya.

EVO does not have a slider for 2-door JLs. Rusty has a couple of sliders but they are out of stock and not allowed to be ordered. LOD offers a decent looking 2-door slider. Any other vendors with trail-capable sliders for two-door which can also be used as a step?

2dr version from EVO is in the works.
I assume that this will be after they deal with the apparent support issues. 😄

One thing that really annoys me is that companies do not distinguish between JL and JLU and they just say "JL". Of course there is a big difference when it comes to sliders (and many other things).

jpkjeep

Caught the Bug
Noted. I have their facia and the rear corners installed. Love the look. May be someone else here can get you more information on Rusty’s sliders.
How tough is it? Can it hold up to a hit coming off a ledge or do you think the tub would ripple/buckle?

Jackboeker83

I ended up ordering the Evo rock sliders today. They will be here on Thursday, which my Jeep doesn’t arrive for another 2 months or so. Got a military discount too so I saved a few hundred bucks.

Andy5160

Hooked
I ended up ordering the Evo rock sliders today. They will be here on Thursday, which my Jeep doesn’t arrive for another 2 months or so. Got a military discount too so I saved a few hundred bucks.
Great. You’ll love them. Here are the few pictureshow they look on my Jeep.

Attachments

• A9E13C88-B3F3-4DAA-AFE0-B1A0CD98ED70.jpeg
    A9E13C88-B3F3-4DAA-AFE0-B1A0CD98ED70.jpeg
    279.8 KB · Views: 35
  • D10D160D-6E1B-4154-A834-50961AF9E963.jpeg
    D10D160D-6E1B-4154-A834-50961AF9E963.jpeg
    320.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 3F4004D9-1C3C-4E1B-8FEE-D5BAFFC4C0CF.jpeg
    3F4004D9-1C3C-4E1B-8FEE-D5BAFFC4C0CF.jpeg
    157.5 KB · Views: 33
  • E337C37E-1455-488D-B454-4CB33D3D53F2.jpeg
    E337C37E-1455-488D-B454-4CB33D3D53F2.jpeg