Rocker Protection - Frame vs Tub mounted

BlackHawk08jk

True that, and live where it's rocky.

I've wanted to get a frame mounted since the beginning, but a friend (CJ7 / TJ owner) of mine said that they cause issues with the frames and I could end up getting cracks at the crossmembers and suspension mounts. That's why I started searching the Internet and came to you guys.

I plan on keeping this jeep for a long time so the frame is more important to me then the body. But it sounds like the jk's frame is much better then the old Jeeps and pickups of yesteryear.

Am I on the right track?

I would say so the jk frame is pretty solid. I have tortured mine in many way with no sign of trouble. So I don't think that frame mounted sliders are going to hurt it any at all.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've watched plenty of Eddies videos and have seen Evo's sliders first hand and like them. My main concern is how the frame on a jk holds up after a few years with frame mounted sliders... Then clearance is my second concern. This is why I'm considering body mounted.

How many years of abuse would it take to convince you that frame mounted rocker guards are the way to go? You've seen our videos and you should know that before running EVO rocker guards, we were running LOD and before that, Shrockworks - ALL frame mounted. Last I checked, Moby's frame is still holding up just fine after 8 years of what you've seen in our videos.

As far as clearance goes, there's no question that body mounted rocker guards will give you more and it is the reason why I really like the idea of them. Back when I owned a TJ, it's what I ran for it. However, after what I've seen with my own eyes over the last 8 years of the JK being out, I would NOT run body mounted rocker guards. If you play hard, you WILL do damage to your body and I would NOT trust them to recover a Jeep.

So, a TJ's body has think sheet metal?

Yes but it's more than just that. The TJ was A LOT LIGHTER and designed more simply and this allowed you to make effective body mounted rocker guards that tied into the tube a lot better. From experience, I can tell you that the JK is no TJ and it really shouldn't be thought of in the same way. Trust me, if I had any faith in body mounted rocker guards for the JK, I would be running them.

Hot94Z28

I was going to get bolt on then decided if I were to ever really want to push my Jeep I don't want to worry about it so EVO it is ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1426906132.871411.jpg

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Excellent clearance and strength with a clean install if you like the look of boatsides. The Nemesis Billy Rockers are AL too. The jeep in the video - Dixie - can be seen in parts of Keep It Tight (IIRC) .

20141030_181824.jpg

Thanks for all the replies guys, I appreciate all of you sharing your knowledge. My friends are mainly old dudes with old rigs and know what works for their setup, guess they made me question my build plans. I'll be going frame mounted for sure.

USMCvet

Banned
Anyone use the Metalcloak Rocker Guard tub mount sliders? Do they hold up to moderate trail use with respect to protecting the tub from damage. Thanks all for any input offered.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Anyone use the Metalcloak Rocker Guard tub mount sliders? Do they hold up to moderate trail use with respect to protecting the tub from damage. Thanks all for any input offered.

Never heard of them. Hopefully they hold up better than their tie rod.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I've heard that about the tie rod. Guess I'll do some more checking around. Thanks.

I had to Google these things, so it doesn't attach to the frame? Looks like the pinch seam. Or am I missing how they attach?

Now that it's come down to frame mounted, which would you go with? LOD or Shockworks? EVO is out because I need to use them as a "step".

Put evo right back in because you can get a custom angle for the step. Boom

Speaking of which... any major disadvantages to this? I get that you might be a little wider through the middle, but it doesn't appear that it sticks out any further than the fender flares, so I wouldn't think it would matter much.

JKWrang

FWIW it's worth I went with LOD even though I like the EVO Ones better simply because I can't weld. I can't think of a single reason the custom angle would be a disadvantage at all

trailless

Caught the Bug
I also went with LOD and will have it welded on when it comes in. I just wanted an actual step and not just tubing. I can see someone slipping and busting their face on my jeep....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I also went with LOD and will have it welded on when it comes in. I just wanted an actual step and not just tubing. I can see someone slipping and busting their face on my jeep....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I didn't bust my face on my truck but I had some of those fancy chrome westin brand nerf bars on my first 4x4 and with a 3 inch body lift they were pretty far away from the body. One time while out playing in some mud, I slipped and my leg went between the bar and the body. Thought I broke my leg, not to mention my pride when I landed on my butt. :doh: For that reason I went with the EVO rails without a custom angle so that it hopefully wouldn't happen again. LOL.

Top Bottom