Roof Rack + Snorkel = Overland?

GCM 2

........how about if money were no object but, you could only build one rig.

.......and that vehicle had to be the swiss army knife of wheeling rigs? I would still take the path I have started down following the build example of EVO1/Moby.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
.......and that vehicle had to be the swiss army knife of wheeling rigs? I would still take the path I have started down following the build example of EVO1/Moby.

:cheesy: how'd i know you would answer like that :crazyeyes:

so, i was wondering. don't trailers count as "overland" too? i mean, if you really had to, could you take your swiss army knife of a rig and pull a small trailer loaded up with fuel, water an extra spare and parts? sure, it would mean more money but, wouldn't that still count? :idontknow:

mmccurdy

so, having said all that, if money were no object, would you still purposfully build an "overland" jeep?

Yup. But it would probably look a little more like Moby and a little less like a Camel Trophy Defender, based on my comments above that a modern JK built up with well-engineered aftermarket parts is probably the ideal "overland" rig from a functional standpoint.

If I really didn't care to hit the rocks with it ever (and if money were really no object, I'd have a dedicated buggy for that I suppose), I would be inclined to do stuff like an aux fuel tank that would extend the range and keep the weight down nice and low. Likewise for convenient higher capacity water storage. As you mention, access to fuel and water is not a huge issue most places here in the US, but it is a factor in route planning, and I do like having a little buffer when I'm rolling in to a super remote station that may or may not even have gas at the moment with my needle on E.

Other typical "overland" style systems like onboard hot water seem nice, but not strictly necessary, so even with cost removed from the equation, I'm not sure the convenience would outweigh the added weight and complexity of systems like that for me. I do like thinking about and designing and building them, but that's more about the hobby of building stuff than any real utility in the field. IMO the best and most functional approach to a lot of the creature comforts is to pick up nice, lightweight, compact regular-people-camping gear and go that route. One exception to that is the ARB fridge, which has to be one of the best upgrades I've ever made.

I personally run a snorkel because I had an unfortunate run-in with a river that cost me an engine, so for me it's just cheap insurance at this point.

Even though I own one, I can't defend a roof top tent from a functional or practical point of view. I just think it's cool to sleep in a treehouse on top of the Jeep. :bleh:

GCM 2

so, i was wondering. don't trailers count as "overland" too? i mean, if you really had to, could you take your swiss army knife of a rig and pull a small trailer loaded up with fuel, water an extra spare and parts? sure, it would mean more money but, wouldn't that still count? :idontknow:

Well hell yes I could pull a trailer with a rig like ours! But I really hate pulling trailers offroad! I have done it many times in foreign lands during long range special reconnaissance missions for weeks on end, and it SUCKS! Driving two axles over, around or thru obstacles can be hard enough, why would I want to now maneuver three sets of axles if I can avoid it!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yup. But it would probably look a little more like Moby and a little less like a Camel Trophy Defender, based on my comments above that a modern JK built up with well-engineered aftermarket parts is probably the ideal "overland" rig from a functional standpoint.

a fair statement and i understand where you're coming from.

As you mention, access to fuel and water is not a huge issue most places here in the US, but it is a factor in route planning, and I do like having a little buffer when I'm rolling in to a super remote station that may or may not even have gas at the moment with my needle on E.

yeah, i've been there. hell, i've flat out run out of gas and it's no fun. rubicat has the means to carry more fuel and i'm gonna start looking for a better way to do the same on moby.

One exception to that is the ARB fridge, which has to be one of the best upgrades I've ever made.

oh man, i couldn't agree more. i honestly would get one even before a lift and tires. hell, i have 2 i love them so much. :yup:

I personally run a snorkel because I had an unfortunate run-in with a river that cost me an engine, so for me it's just cheap insurance at this point.

and truthfully, i have nothing against snorkels. i actually kinda like the one the rugged ridge has where it just comes up off the cowl like a hummer.

Even though I own one, I can't defend a roof top tent from a functional or practical point of view. I just think it's cool to sleep in a treehouse on top of the Jeep. :bleh:

yeah, they definitely have cool factor. i guess after having run a roof rack for years on our old TJ (because we had to), i just can't get myself to go down that path again.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well hell yes I could pull a trailer with a rig like ours! But I really hate pulling trailers offroad! I have done it many times in foreign lands during long range special reconnaissance missions for weeks on end, and it SUCKS! Driving two axles over, around or thru obstacles can be hard enough, why would I want to now maneuver three sets of axles if I can avoid it!

sound words from someone who would know.

funny thing is, with the advent of the 4-door JK, you really can carry a lot of gear and way more so than in an old TJ or even D90. and, if you're just one guy as many self-proclaimed overland types are, i would think you could carry all that you need and more in one. certainly, i think we do and up until recently, we had 2 adults, one teen and a dog :crazyeyes:

mmccurdy

Trailers are really appealing and I've definitely debated building one... to be honest money and time are probably the main reasons I haven't already... but I also know towing things on the road can be kind of stressful, so I'm not sure how I'd feel about pulling a 2000lb. trailer behind my rig on the trail.

mmccurdy

and truthfully, i have nothing against snorkels. i actually kinda like the one the rugged ridge has where it just comes up off the cowl like a hummer.

I saw that for the first time in Moab. I like it a lot. More subtle than the giant thing that raises your intake to the roofline (and also has a tendency to catch on trees and low-hanging branches... ask me how I know...) If you're in water that deep you've got a lot bigger problems anyway. :naw:

GCM 2

sound words from someone who would know.

funny thing is, with the advent of the 4-door JK, you really can carry a lot of gear and way more so than in an old TJ or even D90. and, if you're just one guy as many self-proclaimed overland types are, i would think you could carry all that you need and more in one. certainly, i think we do and up until recently, we had 2 adults, one teen and a dog :crazyeyes:

?.....but I also know towing things on the road can be kind of stressful, so I'm not sure how I'd feel about pulling a 2000lb. trailer behind my rig on the trail.

Both of you guys are spot on. Unless you absolutely need some special piece of equipment to come along and you are completely tapped out on space inside your rig, then by all means tow that trailer! However as mmccurdy mentions, trailers on and offroad add a new level of difficulty.

Indefatigable

:cheesy: slippery one aren't you - how about if money were no object but, you could only build one rig. humor me.

LJ

For the wheeling trails that are within 1000km from me and expedition trails that start at a good days drive and last for a week. The size just works.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
wayoflife said:
so, having said all that, if money were no object, would you still purposfully build an "overland" jeep?

Yes, i love exploring the unknown (to me) I would rather have an overland vehicle than a crawler. One that would do the job of both would be best.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
wayoflife said:

Man, I really want to build a trailer for our camping/ exploring trips.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, i love exploring the unknown (to me) I would rather have an overland vehicle than a crawler. One that would do the job of both would be best.

:cheesy: have you been following the conversation or just jumping in at the end :crazyeyes:

taher2.1

I would still stay with 35 and overland mods and use the rest of the money to travel around the world. A friend of mine has done it on his bike in 2010 and since than that is my dream trip..

Also if someone wants overland capable....why not Sportmobile....price is $80000 to $110000 with 15 years finance with Dana 60 front and back :yup:

Top Bottom